aberdeen-music

Henry Rollins

rune

i dont see whats wrong with him hosting something about monster trucks. black flag never said monster trucks were wrong and bad.

and the guys got to make money somewhere. if he has a way to make alot, so be it. I'd do the same.

black flag aint sold out. and Henry Rollins technically hasn't either, hes never gone against anything he sang about and believed all thsoe years ago by doing this show.

sure, acting as a narcotics officer in a movie is a different thing, but this show has fuck all wrong with it.

it doens;t have adds for black flag on it. black flag aint geting promotion out of it. they're still as true as they were.

so fuck it.

and this is coming from a "punk".

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure' date=' if you look at his forays in to movies and television, these things in themselves are indeed harmless. However, my point is that a once credible and respected performer is now nothing more than a joke. Hell, he fucked shit up with the best of them. And now? It's just embarrassing.

And of course the music I listen to entertains. However, that is not its only focus.

And no punk was not just bout music. Punk was a reaction to the rock excess of folks such as ELP, Yes, Led Zeppelin, Queen etc. The political strife that then existed in Britain was also of extreme importance in its appearance. So I'm sorry, it has always been about so much more than just music.

And as I already said, time should not excuse a person's actions. Hey, the man has worked hard for 20+ years. Nonsense.

No, punk does not mean that you cannot have fun. Suggest you check out the PE board at [url']http://www.profaneexistence.com A political board sure, but where folks can just hang out and talk bout anything. There's a lot of funny shit on there.

They may be embarassing to you but obviously not to him, he obviously enjoys what he's doing, what makes you right and him wrong ? Why should it be embarassing to you the guy is doing something he likes and is getting paid for it, well done to him, many people wish they were in that position, does being a punk mean he should be poor ? If people paid you well to write on this messageboard would you stop doing it ?

Stop me if I'm wrong but many of the punks were into a lot of drugs in the 70's such as Sid Vicious etc, that's as rock and roll excess as you get surely. Punk was an excuse, it was the new revolution, it happens every 10-15 years, Elvis was the first, then punk, then possibly (in this country at least) the indie scene of the 90's where music is used as a way of allegedly creating change in society and politics, however it doesn't actually make any differences, what makes the difference is an influx of publicity for the chosen revolution and people jumping on whatever bandwagon it is, same principle as the Good Charlotte thread earlier, different decade, different bandwagon. Punk is as much a media invention as britpop was, or Beatlemania. It's manipulated by the media as any other musical form or cultural revolution.

Time shouldn't excuse a persons actions, but you'd think the guy murdered someone for the hassle he's getting here. He decided to change direction as he got older, so what, why's it a bad thing, do you think the same way as you did when you were 17 ? Do you still have exactly the same ideals or hasn't reality kicked in and allowed you to see that your ideals aren't black and white ? If you truly see things the way you did when you were 17, or even 27 then i feel sad that real life hasn't taught you anything.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest allsystemsfail
They may be embarassing to you but obviously not to him' date=' he obviously enjoys what he's doing, what makes you right and him wrong ? Why should it be embarassing to you the guy is doing something he likes and is getting paid for it, well done to him, many people wish they were in that position, does being a punk mean he should be poor ? If people paid you well to write on this messageboard would you stop doing it ?

Stop me if I'm wrong but many of the punks were into a lot of drugs in the 70's such as Sid Vicious etc, that's as rock and roll excess as you get surely. Punk was an excuse, it was the new revolution, it happens every 10-15 years, Elvis was the first, then punk, then possibly (in this country at least) the indie scene of the 90's where music is used as a way of allegedly creating change in society and politics, however it doesn't actually make any differences, what makes the difference is an influx of publicity for the chosen revolution and people jumping on whatever bandwagon it is, same principle as the Good Charlotte thread earlier, different decade, different bandwagon. Punk is as much a media invention as britpop was, or Beatlemania. It's manipulated by the media as any other musical form or cultural revolution.

Time shouldn't excuse a persons actions, but you'd think the guy murdered someone for the hassle he's getting here. He decided to change direction as he got older, so what, why's it a bad thing, do you think the same way as you did when you were 17 ? Do you still have exactly the same ideals or hasn't reality kicked in and allowed you to see that your ideals aren't black and white ? If you truly see things the way you did when you were 17, or even 27 then i feel sad that real life hasn't taught you anything.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

His actions are indeed embarrassing if you consider his previous work. It appears you believe nothing sacred - that whatever action a person takes it should be permissable if the man enjoys it. If he's getting paid.

And as I said already elsewhere, I ain't got a problem if artists become successful. Of course poverty should not be enforced. But where do we draw the line? What compromises are deemed acceptable?

And my posting on this message board involves no compromise. Your arguement just doesn't stand up.

Punk a media invention? lol Sure, many sought to exploit its popularity. However, it was formed in the minds of groups of disaffected youth, bored with what music had become, crying out for change.

And sure, some punks took drugs - folks such as Sid and Topper. However, you cannot compare such drug use with the excess of folks such as ELP - bands who had become so self absorbed, so self important, that they'd forgotten the kids.

My politics have changed little in the last 20 years. If anything, my beliefs are now stronger. And reality kicking in? I am well aware of the state of things. It is for that reason that I have chosen my current course politically. The ideas that you preach here are of acceptance, defeat.

...... Punk was a reaction to the rock excess of folks such as ELP' date=' Yes, Led Zeppelin, Queen etc....... [/quote']

I think it would be foolish to examine black flag under these terms. I reckon Black Flag, Minor Threat, Bad Brains era bands would have been quick to distance themselves from British Anarco punk bands. At the time of SOA Rollins attended a Led Zepplin stadium concert which he loved. Black Flag were huge fans of metal, in particular Black Sabbath and even Dio era Sabbath which in turn had a huge influence on their best album - My War. Minor Threat were Queen fans, Ian MacKaye has also said that they listened to Queen in the Fugazi tour bus in the early days of the band.

Guest allsystemsfail
I think it would be foolish to examine black flag under these terms. I reckon Black Flag' date=' Minor Threat, Bad Brains era bands would have been quick to distance themselves from British Anarco punk bands. At the time of SOA Rollins attended a Led Zepplin stadium concert which he loved. Black Flag were huge fans of metal, in particular Black Sabbath and even Dio era Sabbath which in turn had a huge influence on their best album - My War. Minor Threat were Queen fans, Ian MacKaye has also said that they listened to Queen in the Fugazi tour bus in the early days of the band.[/quote']

I said nothing of anarcho-punk, but spoke only of the British punk explosion of 1976, which as I've said sought to give the finger to those who they saw as having forgotten rock rebellion. And it was because of the excess of such outfits, that punk arose. This is accepted fact. And it was these guys - the Pistols, The Clash etc that wrote the book.

Sure, I ain't gonna deny what you've said regarding Rollins and MacKaye, but punk was indeed a reaction to what folks such as Queen, Led Zeppelin etc were doing.

I only own a coupl'a Rollins' books' date=' two Rollins Band albums, and one Black Flag, but I still think I have a deeper insight into what Henry Rollins is all about compared to yours.[/quote']

You state you have more knowledge than me but it all comes to nothing really when you havent stated anything to back up this claim, then why didn't you state that black flag where about political involvent both in their music and in society? Why didnt you state that they had court battle's with corporations?

By those few sentences you lay bare the fallacy in your whole argument.

'What is the point in saying something or believing in a certain thing' date=' then only going to reverse your own outlook on life?' People have certain beliefs, morals if that's what you want to call them. As they grow up they revise those, for better or worse. Otherwise they become the sorts of dogma that people so despise of religions like Christianity, and I'm sure you probably do too.

It's not 'untrue', it's merely not pretending that you were all-knowing in your formative years, and that your priorities and beliefs are liable to change in accordance with your personal circumstances over the years.

Though, of course, you'll still be 'fighting the system' in 20 years time, big boy.[/quote']

IF what you say has any credibility then why havent bands like napalm death and also jello biafra followed suit to your claim?

of course he did. that wasn't his argument if you go back and read it. rollins is jimmy's hero! i'm not gonna get into a pissing contest with you over how much either of you like rollins and black flag. i just think you need to stop taking what someone says completely out of context and then start spouting that they don't know anything about the subject as a retort.

That is part of the argument tho, it states henry rollins and black flag were against the system, which nowadays he endorses. Thus proving my claim he has no morals and it also says that mr rollins is false to himself

hahah. No humour in your life either I see :D

You must be a bitter and twisted person.

Hey' date=' what can I say, i'm an immature fucker. I like my beer and almost every man on the planet likes boobs. Big deal.

I do have an interest in these topics. But you act like a 14 year old boy, not a 42 year old man.

Smile min, christmas is meant to be a happy time. I'm sure henry rollins will be beside himself this year after all the slaggings he's received.

Oh, and merry christmas to you. (this part was serious).[/quote']

Seems to me like any decent person wouldnt want anything to do with you, he states the facts you dont, you debate is laughable. Go do something better with your life

I'm talking about the fact that what an individual chooses to do with his life' date=' providing he's not hurting anyone else is his busoness and I don't see what gives ypou the right to judge him for his choices. 'If a band strays' get over yourself there isn't a code that says people have to live their life the way you ee fit. I don't think music's only purpose should be to entertain but i think it's the most important thing about it, and are you telling me you'll listen to music which you don't enjioy because its socially relevant, does the music you listen to not entertain you ? If it doesn't you really need to re-evluate why this all matters to you so much.

Punk started as a type of music, it was people like you who have adapted it to what you want it to be and a way of life, thats up to you, but let people make their own business decisions, the guys worked hard for 20+ years maybe he deserves the chance to not have to worry aout where his money comes from, are you a sell out if you get a well paid job ? Can't you see that maybe he enjoys what he does, or does being a pounk mean you can't have fun ?

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

You obviously dont believe in morals

Angry Dave? I'm called so only by those who don't know me.

You know' date=' this is what really gets me pissed - folks such as your self making judgements bout a person you know nothing about. Cept what you see here. Ask any of my close friends - those who have spent real time with me, and you will find that I am not the person you believe. Spend much of my time talkin bout shit - things of little consequence. Laughing. Joking.

I gotta say that I always find it amusing how when a person here seeks to challenge what they believe wrong - expressing what they believe with a passion, that they're thought humourless, uptight. A lotta folks think it great sport to mock and ridicule those with strong beliefs.[/quote']

Spot on, all of the above is 100 percent true

i dont see whats wrong with him hosting something about monster trucks. black flag never said monster trucks were wrong and bad.

and the guys got to make money somewhere. if he has a way to make alot' date=' so be it. I'd do the same.

black flag aint sold out. and Henry Rollins technically hasn't either, hes never gone against anything he sang about and believed all thsoe years ago by doing this show.

sure, acting as a narcotics officer in a movie is a different thing, but this show has fuck all wrong with it.

it doens;t have adds for black flag on it. black flag aint geting promotion out of it. they're still as true as they were.

so fuck it.

and this is coming from a "punk".[/quote']

You fail to miss the real point tho, black flag where against the political system aswell as corporations, this is a complete u turn on mr rollins present views as he endorses corporations.

Guest Nikola Tesla
You fail to miss the real point tho' date=' black flag where against the political system aswell as corporations, this is a complete u turn on mr rollins present views as he endorses corporations.[/quote']

One simple phrase.... who gives a shit???

I mean honestly this is one guy, who obviously decided that the system of ethics and beliefs that he held in his youth are now irrelevant to his life. It's not as though the entire punk community has ditched their beliefs and went to work in G.A.P or somthing. Plus as already stated Rollins actions now, have little to nothing to do with the music he was involved in with Black Flag (which also had the Circle Jerks singer Keith Morris as their original vocalist who for some part i prefer to Rollins.)

Another point if you are the so called vanguard of the punk scene why dont you go out and form a band of your own or create a zine or somthing like that? You seem to be so pre-occupied with what other people are doing within the scene that you forget to utilise the very D.I.Y ethics you preach constantly, hence making yourself a hypocrite.

I'm sorry, but does anyone think that this thread just shows how self-fucking-righteous some music fans can be?

IMHO, Rollins can do whatever the hell he wants. It's his life and he doesn't owe justification to any one of us. I agree with everyone thats stated the bloody obvious - that life doesn't stand still and that consequently your morals and opinions change over time. WOWZA was that a revelation!

Also James J. - I want to see a 1000 words on my desk by Monday detailing everything you know or knew EVER about Rollins. Anything that you do not mention but later rely on in your defence of his fan-dom may cause you to be sat on by a giant zebra. Sorry, but thats the way it goes son-ey.

And please 'rune', spare me another disparaging remark. If you think i'm that fucking ignorant, then just don't read my posts.

rollins.JPG

MERRY CHRISTMAS

i'm not going to bother reading this thread, as i'm sure big hank wouldnt either.

i'm simply going to ask that everyone

a) looks at this magnificent painting

and

b)learns to ignore everything rune/all systems fail ever say, ever.

following these two tips will ensure a merry, safe christmas for all.

"we've got nothing better to do..."

Here is the whole picture of alot of you "people" on this forum.

Seems to me that all you really care about regarding life is making financial gain.

Anyone who thinks that life is money is a fool. Money means fuck all to me, possesion means fuck all to me, life aint about getting rich by any means possible, dont you people realise that money cant make you happy? Alot of you seem to think on this thread that money is everything. It's like hey fuck it, don't care how i get it aslong as it comes my way.

Do any of you believe in morals? All i see this forum as is one big sceners hangout from the mtv/kerrang generation, there are some on here that dont go into that fad and i applaud them.

So you are trying to tell me NONE of the band members got paid' date=' thus meaning it was all from their own pockets? No chance[/quote']

If the band members all got paid huge sums of money, the remaining sum left would be called "the profits of the tour". So he's not trying to say none of the band members got paid at all.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Do any of you believe in morals? All i see this forum as is one big sceners hangout from the mtv/kerrang generation' date=' there are some on here that dont go into that fad and i applaud them.[/quote']

Sadly, it's difficult to disagree with that.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I gotta say that I always find it amusing how when a person here seeks to challenge what they believe wrong - expressing what they believe with a passion' date=' that they're thought humourless, uptight. A lotta folks think it great sport to mock and ridicule those with strong beliefs.[/quote']

Game, set and match, Dave. I can see a future for you presenting wildlife programmes, as it seems you're always getting rounded on by a pack of hyenas.