aberdeen-music

Henry Rollins

rune

IF what you say has any credibility then why havent bands like napalm death and also jello biafra followed suit to your claim?

Because the ability to revise your opinions doesn't necessarily mean that you will. You've completely missed the point of what you said, but I'll let you go on and continue being a pedantic twat who can't even follow a basic argument expressed as simply as possible.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest allsystemsfail
Why have I never seen these GAP adverts?

Before your time I guess. I recall seeing one in I think 1995. Sham 69s Jimmy Pursey appeared in GAP commercials too round this time.

Guest allsystemsfail
But surely' date=' all systems fail, you believe that the sex pistols and the clash are a total joke. Especially since you use excess as some sort of primitive benchmark.[/quote']

No, I do not believe them a joke. Sure, Lydon and co would indeed in later years become embarrassing. However, this should not take away from what both acts achieved in the 1970s.

And what excess did these acts demonstrate? I spoke only of the self importance of rock outfits such as ELP, stadium shows, musical theatrics. Punk sought to reject this - stripping the music down, taking things back to basics. You've missed my point entirely.

Subject: Re: HENRY ROLLINS, A FUCKIN' SELLOUT!!

Newsgroups: alt.punk

Date: 1994-05-24 19:13:49 PST

Actually, we paid him about $75.

Blame me- it was my idea... I've been a Rollins fan for a long time, and

I just figured, as long as we were doing the Individuals Of Style campaign

with all these art dweebs, why not get somebody cool? So- I suggested the

idea to someone down the hall and showed them a picture of Hank, and they

seemed to go for it. We called 2.13.61 and got Gary I. on the phone and

said "We wanna use Henry in an IOS ad- have him call us if he's interested"

The phone rang about 10 minutes later, so we booked him for the shoot.

I thought the pictures turned out great, I've actually got 3 of the ones

we didn't use framed and hanging on my wall in my office.

The way I see it, Hank wanted to get his picture in Rolling Stone, and

up until the ad there was no way in hell RS would even look at Hank.

End Of Silence hadn't even come out yet, so I figure we helped him get

a little exposure. If any exposure he recieved helped him down the

line with publishing expenses, whatever then cool. I've been buying

all Hank's bboks since the beginning, as well as a lot of the other

stuff (Exene, etc.) and I'm glad he has the bucks to put out stuff like

that on a regular basis. I also think that "Weight" is an amazing

album. I'd rather hear that on the radio than a lot of these other

bullshit Poison bands masquerading as "Grunge" bands....

Rollins was in a Gap ad...so sue me<g>

Chris

--

Chris Yaryan gloomboy@netcom.com

Graphics Network Manager The Gap, Inc.

Advertising San Francisco, CA

"...If you want a friend, feed any animal..." - P.F.

------------------------------------------------------

Guest allsystemsfail
One simple phrase.... who gives a shit???

I mean honestly this is one guy' date=' who obviously decided that the system of ethics and beliefs that he held in his youth are now irrelevant to his life. It's not as though the entire punk community has ditched their beliefs and went to work in G.A.P or somthing. Plus as already stated Rollins actions now, have little to nothing to do with the music he was involved in with Black Flag (which also had the Circle Jerks singer Keith Morris as their original vocalist who for some part i prefer to Rollins.)

Another point if you are the so called vanguard of the punk scene why dont you go out and form a band of your own or create a zine or somthing like that? You seem to be so pre-occupied with what other people are doing within the scene that you forget to utilise the very D.I.Y ethics you preach constantly, hence making yourself a hypocrite.[/quote']

I think it's pretty clear having followed rune's posts for some time, that he is not a punk. Just take a look at his listening tastes. I'm also gonna say that while I may not agree with everything he says, I am in general sympathy with some of the things he has said here.

Also, you do not have to produce a zine, form a band... in order to play an active role in the DIY punk community. You can do so by supporting DIY initiatives - making it out to shows, purchasing DIY releases, zines etc, purchasing items from distros or touring outfits So, no hypocisy is involved.