aberdeen-music

Henry Rollins

rune

Wait.... when did the pop kids sell out?

Surely they've been sellouts all along?

I don't get it?

I must be a retard. Well' date=' i am blonde. Shite.[/quote']

It was a generalisation, offcourse you get people who change their musical taste from one stance to the other. Doesn't mean i have to agree with it tho.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rune' date=' there really is no need to get so angry about it. I follow a simple philosophy regarding bands, if you don't like what they're doing, don't buy their releases. I have no interest in whatever Mr. Garfield is up to now, but, for me, S.O.A.'s "No Policy" 7" is one of the best HC records of all time in my book. I still get a buzz from listening to it, it fucking rules! Take in the things you like, spit out those you don't. No big deal.[/quote']

Yeah i know, but come on can't you see it's wrong and morally unjust?

My point being that his Black Flag period represents these morals you state he once had' date=' Henry Garfield/Rollins is a human being, and as such is entitled to change his opinion, purpose or outlook on life and in doing so is causing no harm to anyone.[/quote']

yeah ok if he has changed his opinion, does that then mean the black flag days of mr rollins was meaningless? It just seems to me now that he might think that part of his life has been forgotten and just maybe he is being untrue to himself

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Yeah i know' date=' but come on can't you see it's wrong and morally unjust?[/quote']

Sure, I don't particularly like it, but "wrong and morally unjust" is a bit too close to pious Christian dialogue for my liking, you could maybe have worded it a little differently. Look, ex-punks have sold out since the 70's and will continue to do so at the prospect of hard cash. It's disappointing when people choose to join the mainstream so I then ignore them as I don't want to get a fucking hernia about it! They're not worth your attention, that's all I'm saying.

You obviously haven't got much knowledge on mr rollins' date=' having his whole rollins band collection i have more insight to what he thinks[/quote']

I only own a coupl'a Rollins' books, two Rollins Band albums, and one Black Flag, but I still think I have a deeper insight into what Henry Rollins is all about compared to yours.

Don't you believe in morals. What is the point in saying something or believing in a certain thing' date=' then only going to reverse your own outlook on life? That is so untrue.[/quote']

By those few sentences you lay bare the fallacy in your whole argument.

'What is the point in saying something or believing in a certain thing, then only going to reverse your own outlook on life?' People have certain beliefs, morals if that's what you want to call them. As they grow up they revise those, for better or worse. Otherwise they become the sorts of dogma that people so despise of religions like Christianity, and I'm sure you probably do too.

It's not 'untrue', it's merely not pretending that you were all-knowing in your formative years, and that your priorities and beliefs are liable to change in accordance with your personal circumstances over the years.

Though, of course, you'll still be 'fighting the system' in 20 years time, big boy.

So why didnt he know about black flag and their court battle with record lable? Why didnt he know about their political involvement? Stop kidding yourself

of course he did. that wasn't his argument if you go back and read it. rollins is jimmy's hero! i'm not gonna get into a pissing contest with you over how much either of you like rollins and black flag. i just think you need to stop taking what someone says completely out of context and then start spouting that they don't know anything about the subject as a retort.

Guest allsystemsfail
Punk won't provide a pension' date=' the guy has to do something thats gonna keep him warm and fed in old age.......[/quote']

Oh come now. What of his appearance in GAP commercials? I'm sure you are already aware of the terrible conditions in which GAP garments are produced, those who produce them working long hours for little pay. And that an individual such as he would have anything to do with such a thing.

Guest allsystemsfail
I thought that "real punks" did whatever they wanted regardless of what other people thought? isnt that the true meaning of being a punk?? Doing what you want and not what other people think they should be doing.

You crusty punk lovers get yourself so confused sometimes' date=' one minute you love someone for being their own person, when it suits you that is, the rest you moan because people dont do what you want them to do. Hmmm seems like the old punk ethic is either a load of shit or you guys havent got a clue. ill let everyone else decide that one.[/quote']

You just don't get it do you. Punk does not mean doing whatever the hell that you want. So, you believe that folks should be permitted to endorse (for example) sexism, racism, and homophobia - that folks can take whatever action they wish however harmful? Look man, I suggest that you do not get in to this arguement, coz hey, your understanding of punk is really quite laughable.

Guest allsystemsfail
Last time i checked Black Flag hadn't sold out' date=' all records were released through SST, They'd played club shows and weren't rocking arenas and were receiving next to no mainstream radio play.

Henry has become a celebrity, so what ? how many people do you know who are doing exactly the same thing they were 20 years ago ?

He's hosting a show on Monster Trucks, a topic completely unrelated to Black Flag or punk rock for that matter its not like he's gone and joined busted as their new singer and if he had i couldn't really give a fuck to be honest, live and let live, our time here is short and we should enjoy it doing what we want to do and i guess Henry wanted to host a tv show on monster trucks.[/quote']

The man is a joke. The fact that some considerable time has passed does not excuse his behaviour. And actually, there are a great number of people who have over 20 years remained committed to the same code of beliefs. If we're talkin punk, then what about the Crass folks, Conflict, Subhumans, Lost Cherrees, Icons Of Filth.... This is without taking in to consideration activists - those active in political struggle. I know personally several people who are as committed to the same ideals as they were back in the day.

Live and let live? And so no actions taken, however despicable or contrary to punk's basic tenet, should ever be challenged?

Guest allsystemsfail
Rune' date=' there really is no need to get so angry about it. I follow a simple philosophy regarding bands, if you don't like what they're doing, don't buy their releases. I have no interest in whatever Mr. Garfield is up to now, but, for me, S.O.A.'s "No Policy" 7" is one of the best HC records of all time in my book. I still get a buzz from listening to it, it fucking rules! Take in the things you like, spit out those you don't. No big deal.[/quote']

Sure. But you still gotta challenge what you believe wrong.

Guest allsystemsfail
Why does it matter to anyone except him ?

Cheers

Stuart

If an indivual performer/band strays, then yes, their actions should be addressed. Look man, we've been through this already on more than one occasion. As far as you are concerned, music's only purpose should be to entertain. However, not everyone believes that. And it is not punk's main focus.

Guest allsystemsfail
punk is laughable.

I fail to see how a person such as yourself - one whose knowledge/experience of the punk community is non existent, could make any such judgement.

Guest allsystemsfail
Go and get yourself a shag min.

Please.

And so passion - a belief in strong values, is a crime? Sure, mock my views, but then I expect little more from an individual who lists his interests as "boobs and beer".

Hey man, why do you post on these topics? You've already shown you have no interest in these subjects.

hahah. No humour in your life either I see :D

You must be a bitter and twisted person.

Hey, what can I say, i'm an immature fucker. I like my beer and almost every man on the planet likes boobs. Big deal.

I do have an interest in these topics. But you act like a 14 year old boy, not a 42 year old man.

Smile min, christmas is meant to be a happy time. I'm sure henry rollins will be beside himself this year after all the slaggings he's received.

Oh, and merry christmas to you. (this part was serious).

If an indivual performer/band strays' date=' then yes, their actions should be addressed. Look man, we've been through this already on more than one occasion. As far as you are concerned, music's only purpose should be to entertain. However, not everyone believes that. And it is not punk's main focus.[/quote']

I'm talking about the fact that what an individual chooses to do with his life, providing he's not hurting anyone else is his busoness and I don't see what gives ypou the right to judge him for his choices. 'If a band strays' get over yourself there isn't a code that says people have to live their life the way you ee fit. I don't think music's only purpose should be to entertain but i think it's the most important thing about it, and are you telling me you'll listen to music which you don't enjioy because its socially relevant, does the music you listen to not entertain you ? If it doesn't you really need to re-evluate why this all matters to you so much.

Punk started as a type of music, it was people like you who have adapted it to what you want it to be and a way of life, thats up to you, but let people make their own business decisions, the guys worked hard for 20+ years maybe he deserves the chance to not have to worry aout where his money comes from, are you a sell out if you get a well paid job ? Can't you see that maybe he enjoys what he does, or does being a pounk mean you can't have fun ?

Cheers

Stuart

Guest allsystemsfail
hahah. No humour in your life either I see :D

You must be a bitter and twisted person.

Hey' date=' what can I say, i'm an immature fucker. I like my beer and almost every man on the planet likes boobs. Big deal.

I do have an interest in these topics. But you act like a 14 year old boy, not a 42 year old man.

Smile min, christmas is meant to be a happy time. I'm sure henry rollins will be beside himself this year after all the slaggings he's received.

Oh, and merry christmas to you. (this part was serious).[/quote']

Angry Dave? I'm called so only by those who don't know me.

You know, this is what really gets me pissed - folks such as your self making judgements bout a person you know nothing about. Cept what you see here. Ask any of my close friends - those who have spent real time with me, and you will find that I am not the person you believe. Spend much of my time talkin bout shit - things of little consequence. Laughing. Joking.

I gotta say that I always find it amusing how when a person here seeks to challenge what they believe wrong - expressing what they believe with a passion, that they're thought humourless, uptight. A lotta folks think it great sport to mock and ridicule those with strong beliefs.

Guest allsystemsfail
I'm talking about the fact that what an individual chooses to do with his life' date=' providing he's not hurting anyone else is his busoness and I don't see what gives ypou the right to judge him for his choices. 'If a band strays' get over yourself there isn't a code that says people have to live their life the way you ee fit. I don't think music's only purpose should be to entertain but i think it's the most important thing about it, and are you telling me you'll listen to music which you don't enjioy because its socially relevant, does the music you listen to not entertain you ? If it doesn't you really need to re-evluate why this all matters to you so much.

Punk started as a type of music, it was people like you who have adapted it to what you want it to be and a way of life, thats up to you, but let people make their own business decisions, the guys worked hard for 20+ years maybe he deserves the chance to not have to worry aout where his money comes from, are you a sell out if you get a well paid job ? Can't you see that maybe he enjoys what he does, or does being a pounk mean you can't have fun ?

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Sure, if you look at his forays in to movies and television, these things in themselves are indeed harmless. However, my point is that a once credible and respected performer is now nothing more than a joke. Hell, he fucked shit up with the best of them. And now? It's just embarrassing.

And of course the music I listen to entertains. However, that is not its only focus.

And no punk was not just bout music. Punk was a reaction to the rock excess of folks such as ELP, Yes, Led Zeppelin, Queen etc. The political strife that then existed in Britain was also of extreme importance to its birth - inspiring action. So I'm sorry, it has always been about so much more than just music.

And as I already said, time should not excuse a person's actions. Hey, the man has worked hard for 20+ years. Nonsense.

No, punk does not mean that you cannot have fun. *shakes head*

Guest allsystemsfail
Cool' date=' I'll meet you for a beer and a chat sometime then :)

You also tend to make judgements about both people and bands without really knowing them. Everyone does. It's an internet messageboard.... people act differently.[/quote']

Granted, it is wrong of me to make assumptions bout folks here. Bands/individual performers however are a different matter. My criticisms are based on actions that they have taken in the real world.