aberdeen-music

How do YOU deal with awkward silences?

palmer_eldritch

Just curious as to how everyone gets a conversation back on track when it runs dry... or do u just run away? Sometimes its nice to let the other person think of something to say, and just laugh at the awkwardness inside. Kinda mean tho!

The best way to avoid the awkwardness is maybe to confront the situation head on and openly say "how awkward this silence is, isn't it?" tho it can backfire so be prepared for some more awkwardness if you both just start laughing, followed by another silence...

Thoughts everyone?

lol, I like watching ppl squirm during awkward silences! It's also quite funny if u just sigh or something, or say "hmmmm". Most ppl start humming I've noticed. The best song to hum during an awkard silence is "Glorious Om Riff" by Steve hillage.

It's also funny to time awkward silences in ur head, see how long ur opponent lasts before he can't take it anymore! :bat:

Guest haigyman

i hate awkward silences, and i hate when people aren't just honest about it. i make a point of going up to the person if i'm drunk (you can get away with it then) and saying "look, i like you, but NEVER sit next to me on the bus, it's not worth it!!!"

i hate awkward silences' date=' and i hate when people aren't just honest about it. i make a point of going up to the person if i'm drunk (you can get away with it then) and saying "look, i like you, but NEVER sit next to me on the bus, it's not worth it!!!"[/quote']

hahahaha

A really mean way to deal with it would be to stare the other person down. Just hold eye contact and watch them die!!!!!!!!! :bat:

Awkward silences don't really bother me. I'll either say something really stupid to stop them.. or just let my eyes wonder and think about stuff.

I have a bad habit of muttering "ho hum" or "ach weel" these days when things get quiet.

but on that note... i have real trouble with awkward silences.. and keeping eye contact with people.

i think most people would notice that i tend to look ANYWHERE but the persons eyes, unless i know them quite well.

..have managed to get over it... to an extent over the past year, but am still pretty bad.

have aslo been told that i am the best person to sit in silence with though.. dont know wether to take that as a compliment or insult though! :moody:

but on that note... i have real trouble with awkward silences.. and keeping eye contact with people.

i think most people would notice that i tend to look ANYWHERE but the persons eyes' date=' unless i know them quite well.

[/quote']

ha i have exactly the same problem here i just cant keep eye contact it feels wierd for some reason keeping eye contact with someone i dont know well

ha i have exactly the same problem here i just cant keep eye contact it feels wierd for some reason keeping eye contact with someone i dont know well

yeah, i dont know what it is, but i just feel really uneasy staring into people eyeballs! :rolleyes:

"look' date=' i like you, but NEVER sit next to me on the bus, it's not worth it!!!"[/quote']

Hehe, I can relate to that.

But seriously, do awkward silences mean deep down that you dislike said person and have nothing in common? Or is it merely a case of not knowing each others full potential?

hrmmm....

Re: Awkward silences

They're not awkward unless you make them (without sounding like an arse....)!

I only have awkward silences with people I dislike or don't know at all - it's because I'm rubbish at this 'so what do you do' and 'how do you know such-and-such' nonsense.

If you really like someone, or you're totally at ease in their company, you don't have to speak to fill the gaps. In my humble and ill-educated opinion.

We had an awkward silence on stage at drummonds while our guitarist spent an eternity tuning up. I could not think of anything to say and the crowd/other bands, had been laughing at us all the way through as our equipment gradually gave up and died, piece by piece. Most awkward moment ever! :up:

They're not awkward unless you make them (without sounding like an arse....)!

I only have awkward silences with people I dislike or don't know at all - it's because I'm rubbish at this 'so what do you do' and 'how do you know such-and-such' nonsense.

If you really like someone' date=' or you're totally at ease in their company, you don't have to speak to fill the gaps. In my humble and ill-educated opinion.[/quote']

Yeh I agree, Silences between good freidns are merely absent minded silences, I have those all the time!