aberdeen-music

Modern Music = Image Based

Ross

I was mainly meaning the larger scale of tourig bands and allbeit in a tongue firmly in cheek.

But yeah... smaller bands are always less about the image etc... Mainly the bands in vans lot.

Clothes and image are part of the larger mythical ideology of a band. Certain items of clothing can signify certain attributes which a band may wish to utilise in order that people may, upon sight, associate these values with them and their music. We must learn to read below the surface in order that we might interpret these signals and understand the message on a concious, rather than subconcious level.

Either that, or it's all shite.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're the most heavily marketed' date=' media-hungry bands in the "indie" genre since Oasis. Both of them were heading for oblivion before they got some decent PR people on the case. And they're still not selling more records than The Zutons or Franz Ferdinand.

I've got a feeling history will judge both bands, and find them wanting.

The whole Libertines "mythology" is bogus and manipulative. At least it distracts attention from the fact that the last album was...not very good. At all.

Who else would release tosh like "Likely Lads" and expect it to do well? Most other bands have a bit more pride.[/quote']

I wasn't genuinely asking i was just having a stab at the ugly bastards. Jonny Borrel is a bloody mule.

I think that if we were all to be naked then we wouldn't have silly problems like this! Come freinds, join me in being naked!

The music scene started to go downhill image wise after kerrang launched that fucking tv channel of theirs. Fucking destroyed the british metal scene and americanized it. round about the year 2000 was the fall of british metal.

In general all new music is all about the image. In order for it to become marketable. I blame Smash Hits.

i wouldn't say its just new music, look back through the decades and you can see the trends that have been set by the music scene. music and image go hand in hand and its not neccesarily a bad thing.

Don't just blame smash hits, the whole of the mass media is to blame, tv newspapers glossy mags etc.

and as for the statistics you posted, well you know what Ebbe said about statistics don't you? :up:

Art depends on social inclusion and validity apon endorsement of institutions. Classically, these would be universities, concert halls etc, but corporate culture has meant that most people will only listen to music that has been endorsed by the same society that instills their value system and the need to protect the artificial structure by buying into it. Apart from Stuart Maxwell cos he's cool.

HAARRR!

Guest stuartmaxwell
Art depends on social inclusion and validity apon endorsement of institutions. Classically' date=' these would be universities, concert halls etc, but corporate culture has meant that most people will only listen to music that has been endorsed by the same society that instills their value system and the need to protect the artificial structure by buying into it. Apart from Stuart Maxwell cos he's cool.

HAARRR![/quote']

huh?

do i know you?

bands' date=' quite simply, are meant to look fucking cool.[/quote']

This is the only thing said in this thread that's important. I don't want to see bands that look boring, I can see boring people everyday of my God given life walking down Union Street or sucking Alcopops in the Priory. If I pay money for a CD or to see a show, I want to know the band puts in the effort. If the cool thing nowadays is the whole "Indie" ethic and the "anti-image" then I admit to being totally and utterly uncool. I own every item of clothing mentioned minus the death-metal t-shirts and a Lee polo shirt in place of a Fred Perry one, however I only like about 2-3 of the bands mentioned, at a push. I find it as disgusting as the next man when I see a tubby 12 year old HIM fan, panda-eyed and decked out in a hoodie and jeans that Walter Scott could have camped in for a week, but at least they've made the effort, they might look like shit, but if anyone's into a band or even just the image enough to put the effort into it, especially in a generation that has the visual impact of a damp, greying sheet of cardboard, then they should be comended.

The music I like does have some influence over what I wear, but not much. And I don't avoid wearing something because it's associated with a certain style of music, I often wear jumpers and scarfs, but I pretty much only listen to Glam-Punk/Rock and Roll etc and really dislike emo/hardcore, doesn't mean I'm going to freeze this Winter just because some pervert at Kerrang thinks Duffel Coats mean you like Emo music.

In conclusion, image is important, everyone who likes Rock music has at some point seen a picture of a band they liked and though "fuck, they look cool", the part of your brain that makes you love rock music, makes you love the classic "rock" images aswell, it's just that ugly people have told you to blank it out because image isn't cool.

Fin.

... I don't want to see bands that look boring' date=' I can see boring people everyday of my God given life walking down Union Street or sucking Alcopops in the Priory. If I pay money for a CD or to see a show, I want to know the band puts in the effort... In conclusion, image is important, everyone who likes Rock music has at some point seen a picture of a band they liked and though "fuck, they look cool", the part of your brain that makes you love rock music, makes you love the classic "rock" images aswell, it's just that ugly people have told you to blank it out because image isn't cool.

Fin.[/quote']

I'd have to agree... But i do like some bands that dress very badly (the polyphonic spree, robes?!) But, yeah... Bands should look cool, or at least try their best.

christ i don't fit into any of the categories......

i don't copy anyone image wise' date=' i wear i feel like, do my hair how i want it done and listen to wot i want.

cue massive slaggings etc

:rolleyes:[/quote']

You obviously subconciously draw inspiration for your image from somewhere. You are not completely original. And lots of people wear what they feel like wearing and do their hair how they want it done but this can still entail copying someone.

You obviously subconciously draw inspiration for your image from somewhere. You are not completely original. And lots of people wear what they feel like wearing and do their hair how they want it done but this can still entail copying someone.

i don't think so, i wouldn't say i draw inspiration from any particular field, i don't set out to wear what other people do or do my hair like other people. but hey, millions of people wear jeans etc but you can still be individual with it.

i bet if you saw me in wot i usually wear you couldn't pidgeon-hole me into any specific category.