John Peel Dies

Guest tv tanned

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nme.com/news/110317.htm

JOHN PEEL DIES OF HEART ATTACK

JOHN PEEL has died of a heart attack aged 65.

The broadcasting legend, who had a career spanning over 40 years, was on holiday in Peru when he was taken ill.

A statement has been issued by the BBC which reads: "It has been confirmed that BBC radio broadcaster John Peel died from a heart attack last night whilst on holiday in Peru. He leaves behind his wife Sheila and four children."

Radio 1 controller Andy Parfitt said "John Peel was a broadcasting legend. I am deeply saddened by his death as are all who work at Radio 1. Johns influence has towered over the development of popular music for nearly four decades and his contribution to modern music and music culture is immeasurable.

"Hopeful bands all over the world sent their demo tapes to John knowing that he really cared. His commitment and passion for new music only grew stronger over the years. In fact, when I last saw him he was engaged in a lively debate with his fellow DJs over the state of new music today. He will be hugely missed. "

BBC Director of Radio & Music Jenny Abramsky added "John Peel was a unique broadcaster whose influence on Radio 1 could be felt from its very first days. He nurtured musicians and listeners alike introducing them to new sounds. His open minded approach to music was mirrored by his equally generous approach to his audience when he went to Radio 4 to present Home Truths.

"He had a remarkable rapport with all his listeners. Everyone at BBC Radio is devastated by the news. John is simply irreplaceable. Our hearts go out to Sheila and his children."

Peel was born in Heswall near Chester and started his radio career in Dallas, Texas.

Throughout the 1960s he worked at a number of radio stations across the US, before returning to Radio London in 1967.

Over a career spanning 40 years Peel consistently championed new music, and in 1994 was given the NME Godlike Genius award for his services to music.

I believe someone asked about who would take over when he retired.

Looks like that'll need answering now then :(

This totally stinks :(

it's wierd, because if anyone else played the mix of music that Peelie did, it just wouldn't be accepted...

I honestly don't think that any one could replace his style and musical taste, that's not a sentimental statement, it's just a fact, I think.

it's wierd' date=' because if anyone else played the mix of music that Peelie did, it just wouldn't be accepted...

I honestly don't think that any one could replace his style and musical taste, that's not a sentimental statement, it's just a fact, I think.[/quote']

totally agree.

just heard about this on another board, very sad news indeed.....

Obituarys are usually just a load of hyperbole, but I don't think a truer word has ben written than:

Radio 1 controller Andy Parfitt said "John Peel was a broadcasting legend. I am deeply saddened by his death as are all who work at Radio 1. Johns influence has towered over the development of popular music for nearly four decades and his contribution to modern music and music culture is immeasurable.

really sad.

if Peelie is dead then so is the radio

absolutely no point in listening anymore

Ive worshipped that mans outlook on music and even ideologising on life since I was about 6 years old and my mam used to leave the radio on late at night to drown out the sound of the motorway we lived next to

99% of music I and most people I know have ever got into was from his shows ...so what now?

its hard to be gutted about the death of a bloke youve never met ...but this is very very shit

heaven will be a much cooler place now

piss and shit

deadringer.gif

that has to be the sickest thing, if it's not a "joke".

if it is a "joke", wah wah...I think you'll find you're the only one in britain laughing at that.

Here's a thought...

what has any new band got to aspire to now ?

"must do #1 : get played by Peelie"

if there is any band here, who's not had that as their #1 ambition, give up now.

The guy was a legend. I reckon I will only listen to Classic FM now because John Peel was Radio 1. He would play Napalm to weird Trance stuff and anything inbetween. His "dont give a fuck attitude" regarding playing obscure music was quite something.

A very sad day. :(

peel was the last hope for new bands, a man who was always modest, got on and did his job with the minimum of fuss - always putting the bands and artist first and championing music he really loved

he always came across as loveable bloke, his loss is too massive to really comprehend at the moment. totally gutted of the highest order.

that has to be the sickest thing' date=' if it's not a "joke".

if it is a "joke", wah wah...I think you'll find you're the only one in britain laughing at that.

Here's a thought...

what has any new band got to aspire to now ?

"must do #1 : get played by Peelie"

if there is any band here, who's not had that as their #1 ambition, give up now.[/quote']

I don't think he was joking, I just think he was confirming the story was true (although other posters had already done that).

EDIT: oops, noticed the ringtone choice at the side, ignore above comment...