aberdeen-music

50 Best Scottish Bands of All Time-New Talent

Graeme

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Needles exist in order to produce entertaining rock n' roll shows and catchy three minute pop singles. If that makes them a novelty band' date=' so be it. Their raison d'etre is no different from Elvis in '56, The Who in '65 or The Buzzcocks in '77.[/quote']

Your last sentence there is what i have a problem with. Although I'd say there was a difference, The Who and The Buzzocks were capable of great pop songs which could actually make you feel something, be it elation or youthful exuberance or whatever. The Needles are only capable of being entertaining by pratting around onstage. Maybe they should just jump around on stage without making any music. And Elvis is just crap.

The Needles are just another boring immitation of an immitation. People go on about the local scene being so good just because bands like the Needles genuinely write songs that are pretty much at the same level of some very famous modern acts. But then you gota remember, this guitar orientated scene is totally stale and boring at the moment, so it doesn't take groundbreaking talent to compete with the likes of razorlight, snow patrol etc.

You're taking the piss' date=' right? Please tell me you are. Otherwise we've got a ten page debate coming up...[/quote']

Why would I be taking the piss? quite obviously theres much more to music than entertainment. I don't goto gigs for entertainment, I see shit hollywood films for entertainment. Surely, live music should be in some way moving or offer inspiration. Everyone should try and do something different, you don't have to be a virtuoso. I was watching Later with jools holland last week where this teenage scottish girl played this incredibily creative piece where she looped things on her acoustic guitar (percussion on the wood of the instrument, vocal lines etc). It takes intelligence to be creative though, and, some of the people on here make you wonder... :rolleyes:

Back to the orignal point if not already lost.

To me (on a personal note and not a point to start an argument) i really think the needles are shit, but like i say, personal thing, not questioning there technical accuracy.

But the list makes me wonder what these shits are listening to? Why no mention of masamune or politik, these are bands that arent just fucking great but really inspiarational.

Good on HG#1 on getting on the list.

But i think lists like these are a bunch of bull shit that dont make any sense to what people really think.

Fuck im drunk, does any of what i said make sense?

Either way' date=' a successful gig is one in which the majority of customers leave feeling happy and entertained.[/quote']

But then theres a world of difference between happy and entertained. Generally, entertainment in its modern gig going context doesn't hold connotations of art. I'm sure people who go to modern 'serious music' recitals arent there primarily for entertainment (as opposed to kids who want to jump around) leave feeling happy but more importantly feel possibly touched, inspired or just love hearing insane shred cello solos. To me, entertainment is cheap, gimmicky and certainly not the word that pops into my head as a term for art - virtuoso or not.

I see shit hollywood films for entertainment.

Surely' date=' films should be in some way be [i']moving or offer inspiration. Everyone should try and do something different, you don't have to be a visionary. I was watching talking movies last week...

blah blah blah.

You're trying to make a intellectual debate out of a quip. That's silly.

Your band have a song called Jock Girls' date=' therefore you lack the capacity to form meaningful opinions.[/quote']

1. It's childish to insult someone's band in order to try and get a rise out of them.

2. My band doesn't have a song called Jock Girls.

Surely' date=' films should be in some way be [i']moving or offer inspiration. Everyone should try and do something different, you don't have to be a visionary. I was watching talking movies last week...

blah blah blah.

You're trying to make a intellectual debate out of a quip. That's silly.

1. It's childish to insult someone's band in order to try and get a rise out of them.

2. My band doesn't have a song called Jock Girls.

Aren't you in Point of Origin?

It would be great if someone could post up the list.

50 Best Bands

Altered Images' date=' Arab Strap, The Associates, Average White Band, Aztec Camera, Bay City Rollers, Belle and Sebastian, The Beta Band, Big Country, Bis, The Blue Nile, Boards of Canada, Bronski Beat, The Cocteau Twins, Deacon Blue, The Delgados, Lonnie Donegan, Donovan, Eurythmics, The Exploited, Fire Engines, Franz Ferdinand, Goodbye Mr Mackenzie, Idlewild, The Incredible String Band, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Josef K, Love and Money, Lulu, John Martyn, Frankie Miller, Mogwai, Mull Historical Society, Nazareth, One Dove, Orange Juice, The Pastels, Primal Scream, The Proclaimers, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, The Shamen, Simple Minds, Snow Patrol, Rod Stewart, Teenage Fanclub, Texas, The Trashcan Sinatras, Travis, The Vaselines, Wet Wet Wet

[b']New Talent

Aberfeldy, Aereogramme, The Aphrodisiacs, ballboy, Biffy Clyro, Calamateur, Camera Obscura, Christ, Desc, Dirty Hospital, Dogs Die In Hot Cars, The FB Collective, Flying Matchstick Men, Frog Pocket, Fuck Off Machete, Half Cousin, Hoboken, Hookers Green No 1, David Jack, Josephine, Kain, Kin Creosote, Laeto, Lapsus Linguae, Le Reno Amps, Live Sciences, Lone Pigeon, The Magnificents, Mother and the Addicts, Mouse Eat Mouse, Mylo, Multiplies, My Latest Novel, The Needles, Northen Alliance, Odeon Beat Club, Park Attack, The Pictish Trail, Poor Old Ben, Satellite Dub, Scatter, Sluts of Trust, Sons and Daughters, Swimmer One, Terra Diablo, theonewhoflew, Unkle John and Whitelock, Unkle Bob, Won Mississippi, James Yorkston

Guest Neubeatz

Hmm, when you add the two lists, the sum can be divided into three;

Corporate"R"s,

Corporate has beens,

and

Corporate wannabes,

and the little remainder depending upon how you view any "leftovers"

What was it written by journalists? or...? fuck I'll have to read the thread again....! :up:

50 Best Bands

New Talent

Aberfeldy' date=' Aereogramme, The Aphrodisiacs, ballboy, Biffy Clyro, Calamateur, Camera Obscura, Christ, Desc, Dirty Hospital, Dogs Die In Hot Cars, The FB Collective, Flying Matchstick Men, Frog Pocket, Fuck Off Machete, Half Cousin, Hoboken, Hookers Green No 1, David Jack, Josephine, Kain, Kin Creosote, Laeto, Lapsus Linguae, Le Reno Amps, Live Sciences, Lone Pigeon, The Magnificents, Mother and the Addicts, Mouse Eat Mouse, Mylo, Multiplies, My Latest Novel, The Needles, Northen Alliance, Odeon Beat Club, Park Attack, The Pictish Trail, Poor Old Ben, Satellite Dub, Scatter, Sluts of Trust, Sons and Daughters, Swimmer One, Terra Diablo, theonewhoflew, Unkle John and Whitelock, Unkle Bob, Won Mississippi, James Yorkston[/quote']

Lets stick to the positive, Thursday 4th Nov 04 Christ & Frog Pocket from this excellent list

play together @ Dr Drakes & even more interesting, interesting music have The Aphrodisiacs

in Dec & hopefully one more from this list (tbc) later in December.

Then there is 2005??????

Hmm' date=' when you add the two lists, the sum can be divided into three;

Corporate"R"s,

Corporate has beens,

and

Corporate wannabes,

What was it written by journalists? or...? fuck I'll have to read the thread again....! :up:[/quote']

Hi there.

I'm in the band laeto.

We're in the list, and don't fall into any of your above categories.

That's all.

Thanks.

Fraser

Hmm' date=' when you add the two lists, the sum can be divided into three;

Corporate"R"s,

Corporate has beens,

and

Corporate wannabes,

What was it written by journalists? or...? fuck I'll have to read the thread again....! :up:[/quote']

I kinda generally agree

Its a dull lazy list

The best ''new'' bands tend to come out of nowhere un-announced and dont seem to spend years sucking media and corporate cock like many of the ones noted

it does say ''new'' yeh?.....Im pretty sure a lot of those bands have been around for billions of years (or it seems like it)....and worse still they even sound exactly the same as they did 5 years ago...cos thats progress!

I cant be arsed checking back, but I guarantee it was written by a journalist whose only trip up North was to buy some shortbread

facts are fiction / fiction is fact

spunkburgers on toast

actually theres 4 bands I really do think are new and interesting in that list....but the rest......poop