aberdeen-music

50 Best Scottish Bands of All Time-New Talent

Graeme

But then theres a world of difference between happy and entertained. Generally' date=' entertainment in its modern gig going context doesn't hold connotations of art. I'm sure people who go to modern 'serious music' recitals arent there primarily for entertainment (as opposed to kids who want to jump around) leave feeling happy but more importantly feel possibly touched, inspired or just love hearing insane shred cello solos. To me, entertainment is cheap, gimmicky and certainly not the word that pops into my head as a term for art - virtuoso or not.[/quote']

sorry what? entertainment is a term that can relate to any sense of the consumer feeling satisfied and happy with what they have just experienced. that could be through higher Culture "artforms" such as jazz music, classical literature, sculpture etc or it could be that they have just watched mr Bean on video and laughed their ass off at the complete foolishness of it. in both cases the consumer experiences something that makes them happy. No offense but your definition of entertainment is just plain wrong (i'm in the process of studying such sections of culture) and I think you're getting high Culture mixed up with mass (or low) culture. nothing wrong with that, but you're arguement is seriously flawed.

Another point I feel inclined to bring up is, surely the only reason you should go and see music is that it makes you feel happy and satisfied (touched, inspired etc, they all involve enjoyment of the music, even sad songs). Going to watch music being played just because it is considered to be "artistic" ( I think you mean High Culture here) or inventive is a bit dumb shall we say, why would you put yourself through something you didn't enjoy for the sake of appearing educated?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense but your definition of entertainment is just plain wrong (i'm in the process of studying such sections of culture) and I think you're getting high Culture mixed up with mass (or low) culture.

You're studying that shite too? Depressing isn't it?

I kinda generally agree

Its a dull lazy list

The best ''new'' bands tend to come out of nowhere un-announced and dont seem to spend years sucking media and corporate cock like many of the ones noted

it does say ''new'' yeh?.....Im pretty sure a lot of those bands have been around for billions of years (or it seems like it)....and worse still they even sound exactly the same as they did 5 years ago...cos thats progress!

I cant be arsed checking back' date=' but I guarantee it was written by a journalist whose only trip up North was to buy some shortbread

facts are fiction / fiction is fact

spunkburgers on toast

actually theres 4 bands I really do think are new and interesting in that list....but the rest......poop[/quote']

ho ho ho as santa would say, i take the name of the band has changed so you didnt become one of those outfits thats been around for years? i suspect you've heard less of that list than what you'll admit. cant wait (actually i can cos i have better things to do!) to hear The Videos stuff . i assume you dont play old Real Shocks songs cos you believe they're all shit. hope the big birthday celebrations are going well, don't suppose i'll get an invite to the party!

Guest stuartmaxwell
I kinda generally agree

Its a dull lazy list

The best ''new'' bands tend to come out of nowhere un-announced and dont seem to spend years sucking media and corporate cock like many of the ones noted

it does say ''new'' yeh?.....Im pretty sure a lot of those bands have been around for billions of years (or it seems like it)....and worse still they even sound exactly the same as they did 5 years ago...cos thats progress!

I cant be arsed checking back' date=' but I guarantee it was written by a journalist whose only trip up North was to buy some shortbread

facts are fiction / fiction is fact

spunkburgers on toast

actually theres 4 bands I really do think are new and interesting in that list....b

ut the rest......poop[/quote']

fuck there is so muxch wrong with that, what a fanny

how many bands do you know that have been on the scene for 6 years or so suc "corporate cock"???

most of them cante be arsed with all the shite that goes along with it, hence they release their own records

new bands who are "new" are generally shite because they are part of the trend and any band that sounds similar is also catapulted into the limelight-its boring and sad

• 2 weeks later...
ho ho ho as santa would say' date=' i take the name of the band has changed so you didnt become one of those outfits thats been around for years? i suspect you've heard less of that list than what you'll admit. cant wait (actually i can cos i have better things to do!) to hear The Videos stuff . i assume you dont play old Real Shocks songs cos you believe they're all shit. hope the big birthday celebrations are going well, don't suppose i'll get an invite to the party![/quote']

you just keep laughing santa!

ho ho ho

Guest stuartmaxwell
erm' date=' most of them

you ''fanny''[/quote']

well,

if they suck corporate cock like you think they do then why arent they signed or why havent they made a go of it?

i have this great image of you...

a record company comes up to you and would offer you a million quid to make a slight change to a song (ie an extra backing vocal in a chorus) and you tell em to fuck off and go off on a rant about some usual bollox

at the end of the day pal, you are a hard nosed muso/scenie just like the rest of us

get over it

What a shock, some small Scottish bands get recognition in a national magazine in what seems a positive move, and then everyone starts bitching.

It seems quite obvious that the 'new' bands are those which most people without an avid interest in local music scenes would likely never have heard of, what else are you going to do, have a journalist do an undercover investigation into every band to determine their age?

Personally, I don't like some of the bands on there, but I can still see why they've merited a place. Well done to Hookers Green, who I love for reasons well known to those who know and despise me (and uninteresting for those who don't), and other local(ish) bands on the list.

It's never going to be a springboard to fame, but if it gets a couple more people interested in their bands, jolly-ho. And I'm sure some A&R men will pour over the details looking for the 'latest thing', so who knows where it could lead.

ho ho ho as santa would say' date=' i take the name of the band has changed so you didnt become one of those outfits thats been around for years? i suspect you've heard less of that list than what you'll admit. cant wait (actually i can cos i have better things to do!) to hear The Videos stuff . i assume you dont play old Real Shocks songs cos you believe they're all shit. hope the big birthday celebrations are going well, don't suppose i'll get an invite to the party![/quote']

Consider that there have been several line up changes, Dilbert. (I should add they were for the better ;) )

I'm not Betamax... but seeing as you're doing the old, "personal attack on the band" act again... I suppose I can get involved. I actually have seen most of the acts on the list and was genuinely impressed in concern to most of them. The fact that some Aberdeen bands got on the list is fantastic, I definately agree that HG#1 deserve some attention, as well as Le Reno Amps.

In reference to, "Real Shocks songs"... we don't think they are shit... they just don't fit in the set anymore so the majority got the boot even, 'Affection?, we've kept a few but rehashed them (Hillman Pimp, Replace Me... erm... maybe that's it)'. We changed the name of the band because we've changed what we're doing. Simple.

Guest neil ex

I wouldn't have been that surprised to have seen Real Shocks appear on the list. They seemed to be doing very well for themselves.

Betamax, care to share with us which bands are 'sucking media and corporate cock', and explain how they are?

also, which four bands do you find interesting in the list?

As Hookers Green have had considerable mention in this thread - i thought they were fantastic the last time they played in Aberdeen.

I wouldn't have been that surprised to have seen Real Shocks appear on the list. They seemed to be doing very well for themselves.

Betamax' date=' care to share with us which bands are 'sucking media and corporate cock', and explain how they are?

also, which four bands do you find interesting in the list?

As Hookers Green have had considerable mention in this thread - i thought they were fantastic the last time they played in Aberdeen.[/quote']

Id rather not get drawn into this one (deeper) cos ill get strung up (again)....but most bands Ive talked to (or more often been talked at by) seem to be pretty desperate for media acknoledgement and seem to want to do anything to get THAT profile - even when it means doing stuff that basically goes against their own personal standards as people. The industry unfortunately is designed to fuck bands, so the bands that willingly fellate the record companies and get a hard-on anytime ''that Sony guy'' says he might show up at a gig down the local shit-pit are the ones Im talking about. Theres a prevailing sense imo that, this is what you HAVE to do if your band is gonna get anywhere at all. And more bands seems to operate like that than not when you look below the surface. I just oppose that philosophy. And also know there is another way thankfully. Right or wrong. Who gives a fuck anyway. Each to their own etc.

The one thing I should mention is the sucking media/corporate cock mentality is more prevelant in erm, Scotlands bigger towns. Aberdeen less so. Maybe cos its cold.

At LEAST four bands are really good imo now anyway. And two I love others. No names cos ill get sworn at for having a fucking opinion (again). And still a lot of over hyped poo also. No names cos ill get sworn at for.......etc.

And I cant go saying x band is shite x band is ace when theres a strong chance we'll be sharing backlines/riders/doortakes at some point. Id rather keep stuff like that to myself or just tell them in person if they were to ask (as bands do).

And officially RS split in the summer*, so no listyness for us! Weve been on amillion and they meaningless other than to create havoc on message boreds.

* quickly reformed in disguise with a different musical agenda (we just got bored with ''new wave'' basically cos everyones doing it)

well' date='

i have this great image of you...

a record company comes up to you and would offer you a million quid to make a slight change to a song (ie an extra backing vocal in a chorus) and you tell em to fuck off and go off on a rant about some usual bollox

at the end of the day pal, you are a hard nosed muso/scenie just like the rest of us

get over it[/quote']

erm, if that were to happen surely the stupid twats would be sucking my cock yes? Id take the money and get out while I was ahead. Obviously.

Im not actually precious about the music i play at all or any of that indie ethic shit. I just dont see the point in grovelling to fuckers who are actually there to fuck you over and put you into debt, while some fat cunt in a boardroom gets even richer.

Im not a muso/scenie either I cant actually play ANY proper music and there would actually need to be a scene for me to be a scenie :up:

Consider that there have been several line up changes' date=' Dilbert. (I should add they were for the better ;) )

I'm not Betamax... but seeing as you're doing the old, "personal attack on the band" act again... I suppose I can get involved. I actually have seen most of the acts on the list and was genuinely impressed in concern to most of them. The fact that some Aberdeen bands got on the list is fantastic, I definately agree that HG#1 deserve some attention, as well as Le Reno Amps.

In reference to, "Real Shocks songs"... we don't think they are shit... they just don't fit in the set anymore so the majority got the boot even, 'Affection?, we've kept a few but rehashed them (Hillman Pimp, Replace Me... erm... maybe that's it)'. We changed the name of the band because we've changed what we're doing. Simple.[/quote']

Confirms (for Delberts curious benefit) that just 2 originally RS songs made it onto the final track listing of the The Videos LP which is now 21 songs long. And even those 2 are severely mutated.

Get over it Delbert. RS no more! Gone! Fin! Zero! Kaput!

And I cant go saying x band is shite x band is ace when theres a strong chance we'll be sharing backlines/riders/doortakes at some point. Id rather keep stuff like that to myself or just tell them in person if they were to ask (as bands do).

We should add.... we have played with a good few on the list.

One particular act are a bunch of wankers - and do suck corporate cock... took two hours to soundcheck leaving at least two bands on that bill (one was us, the other was... "Half Cousin" - I might be wrong) fucked... though we got what, 30 seconds to sound before performing.... Oh wait and they overan causing us to play at... 5:30am!!! In the morning! Yay!... Bastards.

Their manager did give us a bottle of vodka as an apology though... but we forgot it because we wanted our beds.

I'm never playing two gigs in a day again.

Confirms (for Delberts curious benefit) that just 2 originally RS songs made it onto the final track listing of the The Videos LP which is now 21 songs long. And even those 2 are severely mutated.

Get over it Delbert. RS no more! Gone! Fin! Zero! Kaput!

over it for crying out loud! still dont reckon it'll be anything radically different to whats on offer elsewhere which was what made real shocks so appealing in the first place. go on, prove me wrong, i hope you do, i know i'm not allowed to be interested but i am.

bet your saying that thing to burnham that thing you used to say to me! ha ha ha!

Ooooh err.... will their be lube, Dilbert?

What thing, "I hate your face", "Spunkeburger on touch" "You're a fucking twat"

Those are the things Betamax says most to me.... that and the fact that I am a genius.... :D

We should add.... we have played with a good few on the list.

One particular act are a bunch of wankers - and do suck corporate cock... took two hours to soundcheck leaving at least two bands on that bill (one was us' date=' the other was... "Half Cousin" - I might be wrong) fucked... though we got what, 30 seconds to sound before performing.... Oh wait and they overan causing us to play at... 5:30am!!! In the morning! Yay!... Bastards.

[/quote']

Yeah, you always get bands like those, most burn out on their stultifying sense of self-regard. Being bitchy, I'm glad Degrassi aren't on the list... when Subsistence (a band I was once associated with, but had nothing to do with, honest) played with them at the Lemon Tree they took a similar amount of time to soundcheck, taking 15min over the sound of the ride cymbal while the other bands patiently waited on, without any apology afterward...

Glad to say I reviewed them for the Glasgow Evening Times recently with Sluts of Trust, and thus able to note (and put into the article) that they have no songs of any note, no chance of any success, even with Bob from Idlewild (who I assume must still be on the booze)... I'd say revenge can be sweet, it wasn't really revenge though, just honesty (surprisingly for a journalist). Huzzah!