aberdeen-music

Biffy Almost Sold Out

Ross

i don't really care that biffy have done this. they stopped being good a long time ago and to be fair they produced some good stuff over the space of a decade. i'm happy enough to listen to that old stuff and completely ignore all this x factor crap, in the same way i completely ignored puzzle and that last album. for some reason i can't help but think about bob dylan switching to electric guitar and being spat on by hippy scumbags.

i don't really care that biffy have done this. they stopped being good a long time ago and to be fair they produced some good stuff over the space of a decade. i'm happy enough to listen to that old stuff and completely ignore all this x factor crap, in the same way i completely ignored puzzle and that last album. for some reason i can't help but think about bob dylan switching to electric guitar and being spat on by hippy scumbags.

Not gonna lie, the new stuff, in my opinion, is a country mile better. A taste thing, I guess.

That is the point though - it's not Simon Cowell's fault that the UK (and further afield) is full of fucking idiots - he's just exploiting the fact. Does that make him all bad? I don't think so. There's worse things he could be doing, like exploiting under age girls in some sick underworld hooker ring, you know the sort of thing that really bad people do.

Same with people who get all worked up by X Factor, read Heat magazine religiously as if any of that shit matters etc etc. It's their life their wasting with all that meaningless pish.

I've always said this.

I actually like Simon Cowell (and admire him) as a businessman. That's what I see him as. I don't see him as responsible for any great cultural decline, just as a guy who knows how to make a lot of fucking money, and that warrants my respect.

Exactly, it's fun! If you can't separate things Cher Lloyd and Fugazi, for example, simply because they're both music-related, you're a lot more narrow minded than those you're accusing.

It is honestly ridiculous what some people get worked up over now. I know folks have touched on it already but i certainly don't remember people getting worked up when their favourite bands were miming on Top Of The Pops when it was on.

Guest Gladstone
I do love that people who don't like The X Factor assume that those watching it are complete idiots, wasting their time, don't have a "good" taste in music, etc. So, so, stupid.

Not really what I meant.

The people who pick up the phone and vote 1000 times (in my opinion) are a bit stupid though.

I sometimes watch X Factor, but take it for what it is - an entertainment show.

I maintain that people who watch X Factor religiously and get totally worked up about it, post about it all the time on Facebook (saying things like "it's a fix, can't believe they changed the rules" etc etc) are pretty stupid.

That's what I was getting at. At the very least, X Factor is manipulated to fuck to get the most sellable "popstars" to the final, and manipulated some more to get the most sellable one to win etc etc. At the worst, it's fucking rigged and has been for ages. People who can't work that out and are getting all upset because that Irish wifey didn't get through the semi-final are stupid if you ask me.

But - it doesn't make any difference to my life, so let them get on with it.

EDIT; and I agree with the music point as well. It's a completely different market, and don't think it is "ruining the music industry" or any such like. Without X Factor, the kind of people who buy X Factor singles wouldn't be out there buying even the likes of Biffy Clyro albums, let alone Fugazi albums - they'd still be buying up whatever is the latest pop fad because that's the kind of music they are into. Without X Factor there would still be bands like Westlife, Sugababes, Take That, Spice Girls, Bieber etc etc. - if anything, it's acts like this that suffer from X Factor's existence, because fans of the likes of Biffy or Fugazi aren't going to suddently start spending their money on X Factor singles!

Not really what I meant.

The people who pick up the phone and vote 1000 times (in my opinion) are a bit stupid though.

I maintain that people who watch X Factor religiously and get totally worked up about it, post about it all the time on Facebook (saying things like "it's a fix, can't believe they changed the rules" etc etc) are pretty stupid.

That's what I was getting at. At the very least, X Factor is manipulated to fuck to get the most sellable "popstars" to the final, and manipulated some more to get the most sellable one to win etc etc. At the worst, it's fucking rigged and has been for ages. People who can't work that out and are getting all upset because that Irish wifey didn't get through the semi-final are stupid if you ask me.

Going with the fix motif, I'm of the opinion that it's 'fixed' to keep the idiots like wagner and jedward in as long as possible.. Keeps the idiots voting.. Idiots who think jedward are ironic and hilarious trying to keep then in - and idiots who give a shit if jedward beat whoever they think is good trying to vote them out. Generally just idiots who think their opinion matters at all. It doesn't.

I watch it from time to time - it's funny and it's entertaining - but I do think you're a fucking moron if you've spent as much as a penny either voting or buying an x-factor single.

xx

Not really what I meant.

That's ridiculously snobby - does the same go for people who watch sport religiously, get totally worked up about it, post about it all the time on Facebook, etc? At the end of the day, it's entertainment, like you say - people enjoy getting into things and talking about it on Facebook, for example (it's hardly like they're tabling a motion in the House of Commons now, is it? I'm also not sure why watching a show religiously and watching a show occasionally/semi-regularly constitutes a difference between being pretty stupid and not. I watched this year's X Factor weekly, and spoke about it, and was interested about rule changes. I'm definitely not 'pretty stupid'.

It is what it is, again like you say, it's entertainment - the vast majority of the entertainment industry, whether it's the X Factor or a new Lars Von Trier film, manipulates the audience in order to make a profit, to varying degrees.

EDIT; and I agree with the music point as well. It's a completely different market, and don't think it is "ruining the music industry" or any such like. Without X Factor, the kind of people who buy X Factor singles wouldn't be out there buying even the likes of Biffy Clyro albums, let alone Fugazi albums - they'd still be buying up whatever is the latest pop fad because that's the kind of music they are into. Without X Factor there would still be bands like Westlife, Sugababes, Take That, Spice Girls, Bieber etc etc. - if anything, it's acts like this that suffer from X Factor's existence, because fans of the likes of Biffy or Fugazi aren't going to suddently start spending their money on X Factor singles!

Nah, I know people who have bought Fugazi albums and releases by X Factor contestants, or similar. I'm also not sure that X Factor really does harm the kind of acts you mention - the vast majority of people who only buy this sort of music will buy comparatively few albums a year, so one more from the X Factor isn't going to bring about a 'should I buy ______ or ______ ?', which is more of a problem for someone who buys from a wider array of 'genres'.

Basically, each to their own as stated above, but calling someone stupid for getting into a show like the X Factor is just terrible elitism.

I watch it from time to time - it's funny and it's entertaining - but I do think you're a fucking moron if you've spent as much as a penny either voting or buying an x-factor single.

xx

So you think people are morons if they financially support a programme/ventue which you admit to finding funny AND entertaining?

Guest Gladstone
Basically, each to their own as stated above, but calling someone stupid for getting into a show like the X Factor is just terrible elitism.

I'm finding your defence of X Factor and your slating of "elitism" pretty hilarious to be honest dude. I'm sure if I trolled back through this site I would find far more "elitist" comments made by you than by me.

Perhaps I am being a bit snobby about X Factor, but I can do that if I fucking want to. I think X Factor is pretty shit, but it's quite funny at the same time. It's one big fucking soap opera.

Yes, I think people getting worked up watching sport are idiots too - that includes me. I get worked up watching football all the time, but it's pretty stupid to do so when you really think about it.

I'm not saying it makes any of these people bad people, it's just MY OPINION. They probably think I'm stupid for wasting time, money and effort having ever put on a gig with bands that nobody's ever heard of, which is frustrating, but it's their opinion and they are entitled to it.

So you think people are morons if they financially support a programme/ventue which you admit to finding funny AND entertaining?

I think they are morons for getting worked up enough about it to waste their time and money on a meaningless activity like voting.. Same idea as people who seem to live and die over who goes out on the apprentice (I don't watch that one, but it seems to be the same idea).

Watch the drama, laugh at the suffering of others, make fun of them all for crying all.the.fucking.time. even enjoy some of the songs when they pick a classic and do it some justice, then turn the tv off and get on with your fucking life.

The x-factor will get all the financial support it needs through advertising - just like any other show - the vote money just flies straight into someone's 'coke and whores' fund.

xx

I think they are morons for getting worked up enough about it to waste their time and money on a meaningless activity like voting.. Same idea as people who seem to live and die over who goes out on the apprentice (I don't watch that one, but it seems to be the same idea).

Watch the drama, laugh at the suffering of others, make fun of them all for crying all.the.fucking.time. even enjoy some of the songs when they pick a classic and do it some justice, then turn the tv off and get on with your fucking life.

The x-factor will get all the financial support it needs through advertising - just like any other show - the vote money just flies straight into someone's 'coke and whores' fund.

xx

I dunno, it just seems a little weird to me that there's a line drawn between participation in a TV programme, one side being 'fine', the other 'moronic'. I mean, sure, getting a tattoo of Wagner on your buttocks is probably participating a little too far, but you get my drift!

I do think you're a fucking moron if you've spent as much as a penny either voting or buying an x-factor single.

o_O

What if you like the song?

Same idea as people who seem to live and die over who goes out on the apprentice (I don't watch that one, but it seems to be the same idea).

....but Stuart Baggs should never have been fired!!;(