aberdeen-music

Biffy Almost Sold Out

Ross

• 6 years later...

I don't think their sound has changed all that much from the Blackened Sky days. It might be slightly more commercial and polished but I can certainly see a direct line from the material on Blackened Sky to the more recent songs. Looking at the setlist from the AECC gig the other week they're still playing stuff off the first album live (unlike Muse) so I don't think they can be accused of selling out in that respect.

As Dave pointed out they might not have much choice over X-Factor covering the song, so you can't accuse them of selling out there either.

As Dave pointed out they might not have much choice over X-Factor covering the song, so you can't accuse them of selling out there either.

They will have a choice as songwriters. Of course they would be completely mental to say no. Quite apart from the obvious fact that millions of people today will be Googling Biffy having never heard of them before, they will be making shitloads of cash from the publishing, I think it's something like a hundred quid for the songwriter every time the song is played on Radio 1 for example.

I didn't really want to get into the "have they sold out" thing, because I don't think there's anyone out there who wouldn't let the X Factor cover their song. My point is, has their music become bollocks in the first place, before it gets on the X Factor radar?

I suppose a yes answer makes Leonard Cohen shit as well, but that song took on a life of its own.

They will have a choice as songwriters. Of course they would be completely mental to say no. Quite apart from the obvious fact that millions of people today will be Googling Biffy having never heard of them before, they will be making shitloads of cash from the publishing, I think it's something like a hundred quid for the songwriter every time the song is played on Radio 1 for example.

I didn't really want to get into the "have they sold out" thing, because I don't think there's anyone out there who wouldn't let the X Factor cover their song. My point is, has their music become bollocks in the first place, before it gets on the X Factor radar?

I suppose a yes answer makes Leonard Cohen shit as well, but that song took on a life of its own.

will they have had a choice though? you don't have to ask permission to cover songs though i guess copyright holders could deny it should they find out, and i would imagine in this instance they were informed as it's bound to create controversy. I agree, they would be completely insane to say no and it doesn't mean they've sold out. As i said in my blog.

Guest Gladstone

I hate this "they've sold out" pish that happens every now and again when a band changes their direction.

I'll be honest, I only got into Biffy off the back of the Mountains single. I was aware of them, but I somehow just hadn't really heard any of their music. I saw the singer doing an acoustic stripped back version of Mountains on some T In the Park programme and thought it was ace. Bought Puzzle and thought it was ace too, and then bought the new album which I think is even better and then bought the first three albums which I just don't think are as good.

There's not much of a "change of direction" from them either so the sold out comments are complete bollocks in my opinion.

As for Muse, I really don't think they've sold out either. I'm not quite sure how I came to getting so into Muse, but I had their first album when it came out all those years ago, and have always loved Muse. I see a progression more than a change of direction from them to be honest.

But I really don't see a problem with a band changing direction. People's musical tastes change, so why can't someone who's in a band that you like not have a change of taste, which ends up being reflected in the music they write? And, a band can do whatever the fuck they like to be honest. I really don't have that much of a problem with a band going "fuck this, as much as we love this music, it's getting us fucking nowhere, if we tweak it slightly (or a lot) it will have a lot more commercial appeal and we can continue to play this music that we still think is good, or we could go and get day jobs and get paid money to do something we don't like"

How many people around the world are doing a job they really don't like? If the offer was there, I'd probably join a Take That type band if it meant getting to be a full time "musician" and get to go on tour etc etc. I quite like most of the Take That songs that come out, but they're very far away from the kind of music I would play in a band through choice, but you know - I'd rather be a full time Take That member than sitting in an office for my day job!

• Upvote 1

stuff about selling out, see previous page

Couldn't agree more about the whole 'sellout' thing..

I used to be as bad as anyone (when I was 16 and thought the whole fucking world owed me something) but now I've realised that musicians grow up..

Green Day are my favourite example..

They've went from writing songs about dicks to having a few years hiatus and coming back with a hugely political (albeit a slightly simple minded, FUCK BUSH, YEAH!! kind of political) couple of albums and people brand them sellouts..

Not denying there's a breakneck change in direction towards the commercial here, but they are fucking 40somethings now... obviously they had to grow up a little.... no?

It's always teh so called fucking 'punk scene' that does it too and that really irks me...

So called punks who spend so much time arguing about what does and doesn't fit into their definition of 'punk', but at the same time trying to hold on to the ideals that what they stand for is being anti-elitism and anti-establishment...

The irony staggers me...

xx

• Upvote 1

They sounded like a Radiohead tribute band initialy.

But that's obviusly nonsense as well, they didn't. They just happened to be a guitar band with a singer who if you were a bit deaf sounded a little bit like Thom Yorke.

The first Muse album sounds nothing like Radiohead at all.

Anyway I don't think Muse sold out either I just mentioned them as a band that's forgotten they have a back catalogue. But they always had grand intentions so if you're aim is to play stadiums, arenas and be the biggest band in the world you can't sell out.

I can't believe the Manics were on Strictly.

That raised an eyebrow with me as well.

But that's obviusly nonsense as well, they didn't. They just happened to be a guitar band with a singer who if you were a bit deaf sounded a little bit like Thom Yorke.

His vocal style was a total knock off of Thom Yorke, I probably am a bit deaf.