aberdeen-music

The Running Thread

Gladstone

• 2 weeks later...

Last week of the Couch to 5k coming up. I've been enjoying my running a lot recently, starting to get back into the legs on auto while my mind wanders place I was last time I got into it. Managing a pretty decent small loop of the Don where I am. Across Grantholm Bridge, down and crossing again by David Lloyd's carpark and then back up the other side of the Don. Another crossing, another 5/6 minutes and then I'm done. Apart from the three or four minutes I'm next to traffic it's lovely.

Last week of the Couch to 5k coming up. I've been enjoying my running a lot recently, starting to get back into the legs on auto while my mind wanders place I was last time I got into it. Managing a pretty decent small loop of the Don where I am. Across Grantholm Bridge, down and crossing again by David Lloyd's carpark and then back up the other side of the Don. Another crossing, another 5/6 minutes and then I'm done. Apart from the three or four minutes I'm next to traffic it's lovely.

That's when running starts to make sense as a hobby. When you can just relax and let your mind wander while you jog along.  Great when you get to that stage!

Stoney half marathon on Sunday.  Feeling like shit this week though so not looking forward to it.  Forecast is crap as well.  Nevermind, everything will come good on the day I hope.

Had an amusing (well it's funny now) incident on a run the other week.  Decided to skip club training and go for an up and down on Kerloch, a decent sized hill near Banchory. I've done it loads and there's always been "Beware of Cattle" signs at the gate where I park my car but I've never seen actual cows there.  Well, this time there were cows there. Lots of them. With calves.  I jogged along the path and they were all standing beside it, so I slowed down and walked past so not to spook them. They watched me closely but didn't seem too bothered. Well they were fucking bothered when I came back again an hour later! Took me twenty minutes to walk through them on the way back while they made an almighty racket and ran around in a panic. Was a few dodgy moments (especially when one calf ended up on the other side of the path with me in between it and it's mother) and I was shitting myself at times but managed to get back to the car without being trampled by a bunch of angry bovines. Would rather not do that again...

My new route is fucking ace. a shortish run to a massive park that has a track. I can either do a few lappies or run the perimeter of the park and run home. Haven't measured it yet but it's probably about 2.5 miles without the lap so I'll add laps here and there to take it up to whatever distance I want. My old route was a 1/3 mile concrete ring around a small park which was a little monotonous. It's way nicer running round a track.

Stoney half marathon on Sunday.  Feeling like shit this week though so not looking forward to it.  Forecast is crap as well.  Nevermind, everything will come good on the day I hope.

Best o' luck. Actually gutted to be missing this, even though I went through injury hell in the last 3 miles last year.

Keep yer wits and sub-2 should be there for the taking. :up:

Best o' luck. Actually gutted to be missing this, even though I went through injury hell in the last 3 miles last year.

Keep yer wits and sub-2 should be there for the taking. :up:

At the moment it's 50/50 if I'm even running. My cold seems to be getting worse :(

Well I woke up on Sunday feeling fine! 

It was another tough race. Fucking hate running a race in sunny weather and there was very little shade or breeze. It made for a very hot run which was just great on a hilly course like Stoney.  

Still, despite being ill all week I managed to beat my time from 2 years ago by two minutes - 2:03:43. Pretty happy with that all things considered.

Might have been a bit better but for two things - one a brutal stitch which appeared as I was running down Belmont Brae to the finish.  Had to walk for a minute to recover, which was pretty demoralising so close to the end.  Just couldn't breath and was in agony. Reckon the conditions were to blame for that as I never get stitches normally.

The other thing was a timing mat 50 metres from the finish which they were using to bring up everyone's details for the announcer. I, and many other runners, slowed down or stopped as we went over that mat thinking it was the finish only to be told to keep going. Oops.

Ace parents got me a Garmin Forerunner for my birthday. So today was my first timed run and I did 5k in 30.41 which ain't too shabby! Pleased with that since I actually wiped out during my run on Sunday. Not used to running in that crazy humidity. Not sure if I just hit a wall or what, but my body just stopped me around 25 minutes. So please to get out and get 5k done today. Sleeveless tops make the world of a difference. 

Running in heat and humidity is murder. Especially when around here we spend most of the year running in weather that barely gets above 13 degrees C.

I've been taking it easy since Stoney as we've been busy with other stuff but went out and did two reps of Scolty hill tonight. Felt really good. Was great to do a run that didn't take 2 hours after all the half marathon stuff recently!

People who have gone from 5k to 10k - intervals or just adding distance/time and running continuously? Is there one method better than the other or does it vary person to person? I tried the first day of an interval based training program and couldn't finish the last 10 minute run, although I felt I could have run for 35-40 minutes without stopping to walk no problem. Just wondered if anyone had advice on the best approach?

People who have gone from 5k to 10k - intervals or just adding distance/time and running continuously? Is there one method better than the other or does it vary person to person? I tried the first day of an interval based training program and couldn't finish the last 10 minute run, although I felt I could have run for 35-40 minutes without stopping to walk no problem. Just wondered if anyone had advice on the best approach?

Intervals are great, they really are, but they suck at the time.  

The biggest factor for increasing distance is simply running more.  If I was you I would maybe do intervals once a week or even once a fortnight and concentrate on just getting out and doing the miles. Start adding a long run at weekends, this should be run at a slow pace (1-2 mins per mile slower than your 5k pace). Start at 4 miles, do that for a couple of weeks then gradually increase it to 4.5, 5 then try a 6.  Keeping it slow and easy, with rest stops if you need.

Along with that through the week I'd keep running 5k loops at almost race pace two or three days and try and vary the sessions for terrain (try some trail running or a route with some small hills).

Like I say, keep the intervals in, they're great for developing aerobic capacity and training you to run faster. But don't worry too much about basing your whole schedule around them. Best thing is to get the miles in and try and keep things varied and interesting.

Sounds grand, thanks Chris! I've been knocked on my ass over the weekend by something but aiming to get out tomorrow and start with the variation!

Reckon I'll go:

Tues - 5k race pace

Thurs - 5k race pace

Sat - 6.5-7k slower pace

Mon - 5k race pace

Wed - Intervals (10mins running/2mins walking x4)

Fri - 5-6k race pace

Sun - 6.5-7k slower pace

and then just increase the longer runs by about 0.5k the next round and move on to the next set of intervals which I think are 15 minute runs with two-three minute recovery walks. 

So my Tuesday sucked in a variety of ways, but fuck if I didn't knock close to three minutes off my 5k time tonight. Whatever, ran it in 27m45s so pretty pleased with that!

Some nights are just like that. PBs in training can be really frustrating. I've had them after nightmare sessions where I thought I had no chance and other times I've hit a PB after an "easy" run where I barely felt like I was trying.  The main thing is you're getting faster! Well done!

• 1 month later...

So three months ago I started weight training to shed weight and become a ripped, angry, roided up monster.

Haven't done any cardio training in that time apart from 3 minute rowing blasts to warm up before sessions.

Tonight I decided to try a run to see how my general fitness was coming along. Managed a 5k in 26mins, which is absolutely incredible seeing as I could only jog for 90 seconds three months ago before passing out.

I'll now stick a 5k run in on the weekends to help with fat loss. I'm feeling smug as fuck.

Cool story etc...

• Upvote 6

Good work. :up:

Now my holidays are out the weigh (lol) I'm keen to crack on with getting buff before Christmas.

Your weight training - did you pull plans off the internet and stuff? I am pretty weak so would need to start on 'easy' mode.

I actually went Beverly Hills and got a trainer, because I knew if I didn't I would never ever keep it up.

If you have the money I would actually recommend this route, even for a short period. They'll build your confidence and really ramp you up when you're ready, which a lot of the time you probably wouldn't think you were.

I wouldn't worry about feeling weak, doing weights is very strange, some things you will naturally be good at, others will be a lot harder. For example you could be pulling huge weight on dead lifts, but doing shoulder presses with tiny weights may kill you, but you'll build the strength up surprisingly quickly.

Here is a guide with some good routines, if you're unfamiliar with any of the terms, google/youtube has good videos to show you how to perform them. I'm not saying stick to this exact plan, but it does cover pretty much all basic weight exercises.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/complete-mf-beginners-training-guide-0?page=0

• Upvote 1

Good work. :up:

Now my holidays are out the weigh (lol) I'm keen to crack on with getting buff before Christmas.

Your weight training - did you pull plans off the internet and stuff? I am pretty weak so would need to start on 'easy' mode.

You should have a word with Chris Officer, he went from winter weight to lean mean fighting machine.

You should have a word with Chris Officer, he went from winter weight to lean mean fighting machine.

Thanks!

I've been working on my weight for a few years. What works for me is just keeping things simple - eat less, move more. No fad diets, don't worry too much about sticking to plans or schedules. Just trying to eat smaller portions, a balanced diet, keep snacks and junk food to a minimum and find some exercise I enjoy (running, cycling, hillwalking) that I can do regularly.  I still have treats, if I cut out chocolate completely life wouldn't be living but if I've had a lazy week I'll be stricter with what I eat and if I've been working hard I'll allow myself to pig out.

It's not complicated.