aberdeen-music

The Running Thread

Gladstone

Weird question but I'm getting into tuning (it's about time) and my question is, what's the best way to stop chauffing between your legs as awkward a question it is, the inner part of my leg is pretty bad right now.

Assuming chaffing is from running, not tuning...

Two options - either change the shorts you wear or lubricate. Or both.  Get shorts with built in lining, you might have to experiment with different styles to find ones that chafe the least. I have some montane shorts that are similar to cycling shorts and a pair of looser salomon trail shorts with a tight inner lining, both good.

For lubrication you can either use something like vaseline or a product designed specifically for runners like bodyglide. I find this works for short runs but needs to be reapplied for longer ones.

Two options - either change the shorts you wear or lubricate. Or both. Get shorts with built in lining, you might have to experiment with different styles to find ones that chafe the least. I have some montane shorts that are similar to cycling shorts and a pair of looser salomon trail shorts with a tight inner lining, both good.

For lubrication you can either use something like vaseline or a product designed specifically for runners like bodyglide. I find this works for short runs but needs to be reapplied for longer ones.

cheers should sort the problem, I get this also from long walks which is very annoying, I'm not too keen on wearing tight cyclist like shorts as I'd be wearing shorts for p.e also so can't be too revealing.

Cheers Chris.

Two options - either change the shorts you wear or lubricate. Or both.  Get shorts with built in lining, you might have to experiment with different styles to find ones that chafe the least. I have some montane shorts that are similar to cycling shorts and a pair of looser salomon trail shorts with a tight inner lining, both good.

ooh err etc

I've only experienced the between the leg chafing twice.  The first time was long before I owned any specific running gear and I ran the Edinburgh half marathon wearing my normal boxer shorts and a pair of those longer Nike football shorts.  The inside of my thigh was actually bleeding by the end where my boxer shorts had been chafing.  I never wore my boxer shorts when running after that!  I got a pair of compression shorts which I found were fine for anything up to about 10k or even a mile or two longer.  Then I did the D33 wearing the compression shorts with some other shorts over the top (probably the same Nike football shorts) and discovered chafing in a whole different area.  By the time I finished the D33, my balls were on fire.  That was a painful lesson.

I invested in proper running shorts after that.  Lightweight, with an inner lining so there's no need for underwear and they're designed to not chafe really.

The only time I've ever had chafing in the inner thigh since then was when I wore my racing shorts on the BRG Challenge (last year I think) - small skimpy shorts.  I've been fine with those shorts on everything up to half marathon with zero chafing but for some reason on the day of the BRG last year (17.5 miles) there was a bit of chafing - nothing like the bleeding of the previous time, but if I do something longer like that again, I'll be sure to put some lube on the inside of my thighs.

The only chafing I suffer from these days seems to be runner's nipple.  I need to remember to lube up the nips before longer runs or they're a bitty raw for a while afterwards.

Edited by Gladstone

Is this a male thing? Because of that bit? Or do female runners experience this too? I can't say I've ever had a problem. I wear running tights though, so maybe that's why. Also haven't run anything longer than 5k.

I don't think you'll ever get that chafing with running tights.  Chafing happens where there's a seam rubbing continuously against the same part of the body.  In my case it was the bottom of my boxer shorts on the half marathon and the bottom edge of my running shorts on the 17.5 mile run.

The bottom of your running tights will be at your ankles, so unless you've got a very very strange running style or very very fat ankles, they're never going to rub together!

I don't think you'll ever get that chafing with running tights.  Chafing happens where there's a seam rubbing continuously against the same part of the body.  In my case it was the bottom of my boxer shorts on the half marathon and the bottom edge of my running shorts on the 17.5 mile run.

The bottom of your running tights will be at your ankles, so unless you've got a very very strange running style or very very fat ankles, they're never going to rub together!

Not just a seam, can be skin on skin as well. Though that's more of a men's problem (believe compression shorts are good for that one, keeps everything in one place).  Nipple chafe can certainly affect both sexes.

Basically anywhere there's friction caused by constant rubbing of skin or clothing can start to chafe. For some areas of the body poor hygiene can make it worse too. 

I tend to find it's worse in hot or wet weather and really affects me on longer runs. For sair nips man made technical clothing or cotton is the worst. Sadly technical clothing is brilliant in lots of other ways so the only option is to lubricate or put sticky plasters on to protect them. Which is great fun if you have a hairy chest.  In winter I wear an ace merino base layer which is amazingly nipple friendly. No chafing.  But it's a bit cozy for spring and summer running.

Once you start getting into longer distances there's no end of disgusting problems which you hear about. I've read a few books by ultra runners and ironman competitors and some of the stuff is horrific.  It makes a bit of nipple pain or thigh chafe seem like nothing.

Firstly - well done MM.  Keep at it.  Slow and steady is the way to go.

Fraserburgh 10k for me yesterday.  Was very confident of going sub 40 following on from the sub 40 track race the previous weekend.

It was very very hot though.  20 degrees at least and I ended up finishing in 40:22.  The conditions were pretty tough and it was reflected in others' finishing times.  At least 3 that I know of that are sub 40 runners normally finished behind me, so I know I managed a good run.  Finished 18th overall (out of 200+), which I'm also pleased with!  First top 20 10k finish.

Next race will be the Peterhead 5k on 29th June.  Probably trying to get the 5k time down to about 19 minutes I think.

Ugh, it was horrible for running yesterday. Had to push myself for the last five minutes of my run. I went out after the rain thinking it would have cooled off but it was really stuffy. Probably swallowed about five midges as well. 

25 minute run tomorrow! Yay.

Extra nutrition to keep you going...

Good luck with the 25 minute run!  How many weeks are you into the C25k programme now?

Well done!!

An hour and half after eating would normally be easily long enough for me - in fact, probably ideal...  Straight after eating isn't great, but given time to settle etc. I'm probably at my best about 1.5-2 hours after eating! Depends what you're used to though I guess.

Even though my running shorts have an inner lining, I still usually wear boxers when I'm running, but I decided to go boxerless on my run yesterday after reading the conversation earlier in this thread. Jesus fucking Christ. The um ... lack of control was pretty off-putting.

Aye, with the sweat n'all everything just slides about like nobodies business.

That seems odd to me.  Are you talking about actual "running" shorts as in ones designed for running?  Reason I ask is that all of my pairs of running shorts have inner lining that is pretty good at holding everything fairly still.  I'd be much more comfortable with these than a pair of boxer shorts.

I've been away on the west coast for the last 9 days. Did a bit of hill walking and managed to sneak a 5k run while I was on Lewis then on Saturday I did the Skye half marathon.

Now everyone told me it was hilly and the back half of the course would be tough. We drove in off the ferry from Lewis the night before along the course and the hill didn't seem that bad in the car. Forecast was overcast and mild so I was hoping for a good day.

Just as the race started the sun came out and then we hit the first big climb. I was feeling the heat but my legs felt good so I made the most of it and pushed my pace a wee bit and found I was passing LOADS of people without any problems. But that's not uncommon at races with no time segregation at the start so I just enjoyed it.  Then at around the halfway mark I started feeling pretty terrible. The humidity was really getting to me, when the sun wasn't shining the heat was being kept in by the clouds and it made the air feel very close and sticky.

By the time we got to mile 7 and the start of the rumoured tough hill I was struggling. The gentle, steady hill I drove along the day before appeared and became a brutal instrument of neverending torture. By this point I was taking water from the water stations and dousing my hat in it to cool down. Then at mile 8 I had to walk for a bit. And again at mile 9 and 10. Pretty disappointing but I found that after the short sections of walking I had enough energy in my legs to go again and wasn't losing a lot of time.

When I'd checked my watch at the halfway point I was well under an hour so figured I had a bit of time to play with (previous PB at Stoney was 2:05) for sub 2 hours and a PB.

Mile 11 ticked past and finally the end of the hill. Round a corner and then we could see Portree and it was almost downhill all the way. I felt pretty good going down and managed to overtake most people that had passed me on the hill and was again pushing a good pace. 2 miles of 8:30 - 9 minutes and I would be laughing.  Sadly as we came into Portree and it levelled out I crashed badly again. The last half a mile was an exercise in mental control just to keep the legs moving when all I wanted to do was stop and have a wee seat.  Finally the school where we started came into view just as 2 hours ticked past and I knew I'd at least get a PB. Then as I ran up to the gate there was a line of 10 or so kids with their hands out all looking for high fives. So I started grinning and slapped all their hands as I turned into the school for one last push as my name was announced over the tannoy

Crossed the line in 2:01:24 officially. 4 minutes 8 seconds better than I managed at Stonehaven 2 years ago.  Now as I type it up that almost seems worth it.

TL;DR Ran the Skye Half Marathon in a PB of 2:01:24 over a brutal hot and hilly course.
http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/522145119

Roll on Stoney in a few weeks!