aberdeen-music

The Running Thread

Gladstone

If you're interested in barefoot/minimilast running - there's absolutely loads of literature out there. Some would argue that the best way to develop the strong technique you mention is to do it by running in minimilast footwear but at the same time acknowledging that you need to build up to it gradually - exactly as Chris says.

The reason your calves will hate you is because you engage them so much more and work them loads harder instead of the cushioning in your shoes taking all of the heat. But that leads to stronger calf muscles in the long run. I would actually recommend trying them out sooner rather than later though. Even just a wee jog to the end of the street and back or something to begin with.

Zing - the running this week is going great.

After that sub 20 5k at the weekend, went out and did a tasty threshold session today.  3 x 10 minutes @ threshold pace with 90 second recoveries.

Previously, I was doing threshold work at 6:55-7:00 per mile.  Today I ran the reps at 6:46 / 6:43 / 6:43 per mile pace.  And wasn't even tired.  I could comfortably have knocked out another 10 minute rep.

Things are going well.

Really think I might grab a couple of sub 40 10ks next month...

good going.

I tested out those barefoot shoes. I felt MUCH more strain on my calves and shins and definitely felt like I was gonna do a mischief so I kept it short and i'm back to my regular trainers for now. I'm gonna try break them in because it does feel good in a weird way - more natural or something.

I've slowed down to 10 minute miles and it's a game changer. I still find it hard to pace myself exactly right but it feels like I'm able to go on much longer. I was actually a little annoyed yesterday because I wasn't knackered after my morning run. That's a good sign.

I went out the other night down the beach and down King street but I found myself overtaking folk, which was screwing with my pace as I set out too quickly and tired myself out. In the end I only managed just under 7k at 4:35 per km.

I'm heading out tonight but away from the beach to curb my enthusiastic pace wanting to beat everyone...

Good work Scootray - you're entered into Baker Hughes, right?  You aiming for the sub 50 there?

Good luck with the Parkrun the morn Scorge - I enjoyed my first ever one last weekend!

Training's going pretty great right now for me.  8x1k session yesterday with 90 second recoveries between reps.  Was really just looking to nail 40 minute 10k pace but all the reps came out below 4:00 (one at 3:59, the rest were 3:54-3:57).  Really didn't have to work for it either - pretty smooth and comfortable all the way through.  A really good indicator that I should be in sub 40 shape for next weekend.  Hardly any stiffness in the legs today after a pretty big workout yesterday, so the fitness is really coming through now.

Was having a good week with a 6 mile fartlek session (long run with a few fast sprints and fast, longer hill section thrown in) on Tuesday then developed a sore back yesterday. So done nothing since. Nevermind.  Hopefully feeling a bit better tomorrow and can go for 12 or 13 miles along the Deeside Way.  Would like to get out on the hills but am on call. Again.

Have now entered the Skye, Stoney and Fare Challenge half marathons. Skye is in 6 weeks time and I can't bloody wait. Only run one half before, Stoney in 2:05 and Skye has to be flatter than that so a PB is possible.

Been extending my long runs to about half marathon distance and will try and do a couple of 14 milers and some long hill walks before we get there. Did Drumoak and back in 2;07 this morning (wasn't trying for a fast time just running at normal LSR pace) for exactly 13 miles so really feeling good.

Have now entered the Skye, Stoney and Fare Challenge half marathons. Skye is in 6 weeks time and I can't bloody wait. Only run one half before, Stoney in 2:05 and Skye has to be flatter than that so a PB is possible.

Sorry to poop yer party, but Skye is pretty much as ugly as Stoney hills wise, from what I've heard.

In for BH, will be delighted with any time under an hour on current form....

Sorry to poop yer party, but Skye is pretty much as ugly as Stoney hills wise, from what I've heard.

In for BH, will be delighted with any time under an hour on current form....

Bah! Well I don't mind hills so much and at least it'll be a change of scenery if not a PB.  

Will just need to look for a flat one around here to do later in the summer to target a time at.

Probably my fourth go at re-attempting the Couch to 5k and for the first time I did all three of the Week 1 runs so feeling pretty pleased. If I get through Week 2 I'll be on to a good thing. By the beginning of July I should be able to start upping my distance when I go out on the Sunday. 

• Upvote 1

Just did 3km on the treadmill and felt like I was dying.  Often have a day like that where I have 0 energy.  I think a bacon roll and coffee being the only things I'd consumed today can't have helped.  Pretty bad for moral less than a fortnight away from a race! 

Probably my fourth go at re-attempting the Couch to 5k and for the first time I did all three of the Week 1 runs so feeling pretty pleased. If I get through Week 2 I'll be on to a good thing. By the beginning of July I should be able to start upping my distance when I go out on the Sunday. 

Have you ever looked at joining a JogScotland group?  They have runs all over the country and are aimed at getting people involved in running from complete beginners to intermediate level.  Our club runs a group i parallel with our weekly club training and it gets a good crowd of new runners some of whom are now making the switch over to our normal club training and races.  I know there's a few other groups in Aberdeen, Stonehaven and the rest of the shire.

http://www.jogscotland.org.uk/

Anyone in need of some inspiration should have a read of this:

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/running/london-marathon-former-165-stone-smoker-steve-way-qualifies-for-commonwealth-games-9265281.html

Steve Way was a 16.5 stone, heavy smoker and drinker 6 years ago.  He ran the London Marathon in 2:16:xx this year, qualifying for the Commonwealth Games and he just broke the British 100km record.  What a guy.

Anyone in need of some inspiration should have a read of this:

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/running/london-marathon-former-165-stone-smoker-steve-way-qualifies-for-commonwealth-games-9265281.html

Steve Way was a 16.5 stone, heavy smoker and drinker 6 years ago.  He ran the London Marathon in 2:16:xx this year, qualifying for the Commonwealth Games and he just broke the British 100km record.  What a guy.

I read his blogpost after the marathon (it caught the attention of r/running).  Sounds like he surprised himself with how fast he ran, but his training beforehand was seriously impressive and it seems he just had one of those great running days when everything feels easy. Hope he does well at Glasgow in the summer!

How you shaping up for Baker Hughes?

I've got Benromach 10k on Saturday first - feeling confident about both...

Good I think.  Had a really tough training session with the club on Tuesday, did a good 13 mile run on Saturday and planning to do a relatively easy 6 miles tonight.

I'm feeling as fast and fit as I ever have so there should be no good reason why I can't achieve my target at Baker Hughes.