aberdeen-music

The Running Thread

Gladstone

Has everyone received their race packs? I haven't. I don't think I'm getting to do it...

I got mine a couple of weeks ago.

Every time I've entered the Baker Hughes I've had a cold. Last time I had a terrible cough and though I was going to puke for most of the way round.  4 days from the race and now I have a headache and a blocked nose...

How'd everyone get on?

I took 2 mins off my PB and finished in 48:38. Felt pretty good all the way round. Had planned to take it easy and do 8 mins per mile for the first couple and then push it towards the end. But when I got there and felt the wind I figured fuck it and decided that making the most of the wind assistance along the beach would be the way to go then it wouldn't matter if I lost a bit of pace with the wind in my face on King St. In the end managed every mile under 8 mins except the last one through Seaton and past PIttodrie which I did in 8 mins dead.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/501705543

The downsides - it's 6 and a half minutes slower than last year, and a touch off target. Ran the first 5 too conservatively, went in the wrong starting pen (again), and made a mess of the 5k water stop. On the plus side, it's the first time I've managed 10k without stopping since last year, I kept going faster as the race went on, and my ankle/kness behaved themselves, even when I gunned the last 400m.

Content, rather than delighted.

• Upvote 2

Well done Scorge.  The most important thing is finishing in one piece.  Lots of positives to be taken from that.  Running strong and injury free being the main ones.

Was stuck in a psychological halfway house because concentrating on building up distance is priority #1,  but wanted to make a decent stab at this race.

Splits n' shit: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/501799947

Well done folks.

The prospect of doing a 10k is feeling less and less daunting. I'm regularly doing 5k at a 10 min mile pace now and have started enjoying the act of running more and more. Whereas before I was finding it a chore and pretty depressing (I felt it just showed me how unfit I was without much progress), now i'm excited about going out and can feel the progress each time. Gonna sign up for something pretty soon. 

Those barefoot shoes have totally changed my life by the way... it's like night and day. They feel so much less bouncy and just more natural and i'm able to just run and run. The second time I wore them I was able to do almost twice the distance I did the previous night. I think they just suit my running style but also help me pace myself better. I'm developing calves like bull testicles because of them too.

• Upvote 2

Was stuck in a psychological halfway house because concentrating on building up distance is priority #1,  but wanted to make a decent stab at this race.

Splits n' shit: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/501799947

You said your revised target was 62/63 minutes didn't you?  Pretty much bang on with 63:20 - gotta be happy with that!

Well done folks.

The prospect of doing a 10k is feeling less and less daunting. I'm regularly doing 5k at a 10 min mile pace now and have started enjoying the act of running more and more. Whereas before I was finding it a chore and pretty depressing (I felt it just showed me how unfit I was without much progress), now i'm excited about going out and can feel the progress each time. Gonna sign up for something pretty soon. 

Those barefoot shoes have totally changed my life by the way... it's like night and day. They feel so much less bouncy and just more natural and i'm able to just run and run. The second time I wore them I was able to do almost twice the distance I did the previous night. I think they just suit my running style but also help me pace myself better. I'm developing calves like bull testicles because of them too.

Sounding good dude.  Remember to keep doing what you're doing and build up gradually - don't just decide that because you're feeling good you're going to go and run 10k in one go.  Try adding one km at a time for example.

How often are you running 5k?  If you're doing it a few times a week, perhaps just try adding 1km to one of the runs.  Do that for a few weeks, then add another 1km, do that for a few weeks and so on.  It won't be long before you can run 10km without stopping.  And if you do it gradually, you'll be picking up the distance and staying at 10min/miles and that's a 1 hour 10k.  Ace!

Checking my times again and my 2nd 5k (negative split!) was within 30 secs of my 5k PB!

Which makes me think I should really get along to a parkrun soon.  Going to Copenhagen on Wednesday and there's one in the park behind our hotel...

Checking my times again and my 2nd 5k (negative split!) was within 30 secs of my 5k PB!

Which makes me think I should really get along to a parkrun soon.  Going to Copenhagen on Wednesday and there's one in the park behind our hotel...

Same for me Chris.  First 5k - 20:08, second 5k 19:56.  In fact, that's 22 seconds from 5k PB!  I should definitely have a quicker 5k in me.