aberdeen-music

The Running Thread

Gladstone

Does anyone else actively watch running when it's on the telly?  I've got right into it in the past year or so.  I've always enjoyed watching the Olympics and such like when it's on, but found the longer stuff a bit boring.  I watched a couple of marathons last year and try to seek out any athletics / events that I can.

GNR where Farah just about beat Bekele on the line was a great watch.  Watched the New York HM on Sunday - disappointing in a lot of ways for Farah after getting tripped at about 6 miles, but some run from him to run down second place.  Looking forward to watching the London Marathon to see if Farah can make the step up and compete with Mutai, Kipsang and Kiprotech over that distance.  Should be good.

I'm a bit disappointed that I won't be able to as easily watch the GNR at the road side now that I've moved, although I guess my wife will probably be running it again next year.

Looking forward to the next big athletics meet in Gateshead, missed the last two due to being away.

It always seems to be the cross country or triathlon I catch on tv, although the wife doesn't like watching sports, so it's few and far between that I get to watch it.

Edited by MattJimF

I ran the NY marathon in '06 with some pretty woeful preparation (i had never run further than 10k before that day) and 2 miles before the end, I got a March fracture of the fifth metatarsal or my right foot. Unbelievable running tekkers! Have barely run since but need to get back out and hit the pavements again to shed some weight. I quite enjoyed the solitude and seeing my fitness improve.

So, my new official 10k PB is 36:20... 5th place at Garioch according to the official results!

Some ridiculous shenanigans saw me and about 30 or so other runners run an extra 1.5km or so just after 9k as a marshall took ill and left his post.  For some reason there was no marker at that last roundabout to point us in the right direction.

I passed 9k at 36:20, so after a tough section from about 2-6km where it was all uphill and pretty much all into a very strong headwind and I thought sub 40 had gone, I'd managed to leave myself an outside chance of making it if I could push on and run a very fast last km.

That came and went as the time ticked onto 40 mins, then 41 mins and I realised something had gone wrong.  Ended up giving up and just shuffling over the line in 47:20 (11.23k).

Some were complaining to the race director afterwards, and got asked to write our times down - I wrote down 36:20 @ 9k and they've obviously given me that for my 10k time!  Not sure if it will be rectified, but my Garmin suggests I hit 10k at 40:19, which I think would have been faster had I got to turn that last corner and push onto the finish as I was feeling really strong as I passed 9k.  Really disappointing end to what was a good run in tough conditions.  Oh well...

Damn, that's a shame!  Good run nevertheless.  You just have to take the positives from a race like that - you were running strong and onto a good time so you can take that into the next race.

I ran up Kerloch again yesterday. Better weather (despite occasional snow showers) and a clear top so managed to complete it this time round.  43 mins to get to the top which I was pretty happy with for a training run.  Checked my Strava time this morning and noticed it's up as a segment and I'm 6th out of 6th. Curiosity got the better of me and I checked the other times.  Fellow Deeside Runner and Team Salomon runner Robbie Simpson did it in 25 minutes. Oof.

Robbie Simpson broke the Garioch 10k course record yesterday.  31:30 I think.  Mighty fast - it was very very windy yesterday.  I think from 2k to 6k was straight into a headwind.  That's how I remember it anyway.  First 2k were fine and I was on target pace but it wasn't until 7k that I started to reel in the sub 40 again because I was running uphill into the wind.

Cool - I'll be sure to have a read of that at some point.  It's weird - I can't imagine being able to run anything like that sort of pace for the duration of a 10k.

But a year ago, I couldn't imagine running sub 40 pace for the duration of a 10k.  I did some 400m intervals at sub 40 pace about a year ago and it seemed so fast.  I'm now confident that I'll smash the 40 barrier at the next race now...

It's amazing what some proper training does...!

(I don't think I'll ever run sub 32, but you know - sub 35 probably doesn't look that ridiculous now)

Like en?

I've not done any serious outdoor running for a long time.  I have for the past year and a half though being doing regular running on the treadmill whilst at the gym, at most 5k each time.  My best being 22:03.  I did a 10k on the treadmill this time last year and that was like 46mins, but it's very boring running for that long in a gym.

So, went out this evening after work and did a sub 50min 10k.  Piece of piss.  I'm back.

How's the training going everyone?  Not good on the injury front Scorge - just minor I hope?

Nothing too ugly, thankfully. Recurring left-ankle injuries have been the bane of my life - a combination of poor double-kick drumming technique and an old cycling injury mean it's my weak spot. Could have it operated on, but don't fancy that hassle unless utterly, utterly necessary. Being chalking up the walking miles this week, hope to finally get going next week, albeit a month late.

Still undecided about Baker Hughes.

That's "good" Scorge.  So long as it's manageable.

I've got a calf strain at the moment - visited the physio last night and it's "level 1 or lower" and can continue with the training - just some extra stretching etc. to do and keep an eye on it.

Mulling over entering Baker Hughes too actually.  Doing the Benromach 10k on 10th May and MOK Half Marathon on 25th May, so Baker Hughes on 18th May be be a bit much, but quite fancy it this year (having only ever done it back in 2004!).

Ran 12 miles on the Deeside way on Saturday.  First time I've hit that distance for a very long time.  Felt great to do that again though my legs (and the rest of me) were fucking knackered later in the day.

Had to make sure I burned plenty of calories before going to my in-laws on Sunday for some Mother's Day overeating.

Club training starts again at Glen Tanar tomorrow and first of our summer handicap races is on Thursday.  Time to get serious about the season and start booking more races.

Good running dude.  Just remember to not go out and try to kill it everytime.  Every run isn't a race - it's really enjoyable to go out and run at an easy pace.

Looks like I'll be giving the Clachnaben Hill Race a miss - will need to wait until next year to break the course record.  The calf injury is still playing up.  No running since Friday - plenty of stretching and out on the bike for 30 minutes today.  It's getting better, but don't want to risk it by doing a fucking ridiculous hill race next Saturday...

Disappointing as I was looking forward to that.  Next "race" will probably be Parkrun at the end of April.  PB guaranteed.

Has the Parkrun moved? STV's website has an article promoting it today and seems to say the start is over at the Seaton end of the esplanade, rather than by the leisure centre where it used to be.  

Had a good running week. Back to Glen Tanar on Tuesday night for club training. Some of us were tired so did 4x2mins then a steady run round our 5 mile loop. Haven't done much speed work at all over winter and the 4 intervals fucking killed me. Good though.

Then up to Cambus O'May on Thursday for the first race of our handicap series. Managed to beat my handicap time and get some good points on the board (not sure exactly where I finished as the results haven't came out yet) so very happy with that start to the season.

The Parkrun start has moved yeah. It's up near the actual Bridge as far as I'm aware. It was on their FB page over the last few weeks.

A new Parkrun is also being mooted at Hazlehead.

Still no running for me - that's 8 days now... Calf feels very close to normal again though. Hopefully out for a cycle tomorrow then going to try an easy 20 minutes on Monday to ease back into it. If that works ok then back to the actual training on Tuesday. Too late to justify taking on Clachnaben but I'm planning a run of:

26 April - Parkrun

10 May - Benromach 10k

18 May - Baker Hughes 10k

25 May - MOK Half Marathon

Sub 39 for at least one of those 10k races is the target. Possibly sub 90 for the HM but not sure if I've done enough long enough runs to be honest. I might just go and enjoy it without pushing things too hard. PB is 97:33 from the same race last year - should be able to PB relatively easily I think/hope...

Saw the results from Thursday. I was 2nd. Fuck! Guy that won passed me on the last corner 300 yards from the finish. Ach well, should really have been 5th or 6th if it wasn't for that group going walkabout so happy with the points for 2nd.

• 2 weeks later...

2 questions for you seasoned runners.

1. How do you keep track/ set your pace? I've been back at the gym and its easy on the treadmill but when I do run outside the gym I always seem to go bombing off even though I am not aware of it and then flag quicker than I should.

2. During my 5k at lunch today I started to feel a pain up one of my shins. Could this be caused by the wrong trainer or bad technique or could it just be a strain? It feels perfectly fine now. Any suggestions welcomed.

I would also like to know tips on your first question.

I've finally managed to settle into somewhat of a routine of running before work 3 days a week. I only do about a mile and a half and could probably push it a little longer but i'd need to get up earlier which is a bitch. The nice weather is starting so I've also been running at the wknd (about 2 miles on sat and sun). I'm still shit and get knackered quick as fuck but i'm keeping at it.

Hey - first one is easier to answer. I use a GPS watch which tells me in real time how quick I'm going. They're pretty expensive though and not entirely necessary. If you've got a smartphone there are loads of apps out there that do a similar job. Nike+ is supposed to be good as is runkeeper and there are others. Generally, the apps are free.

Your shin pain could be some form of shin splints - give that a google and see if you find anything that sounds like what you experienced.

It's (like most muscle strains) probably a result of upping mileage or speed or both a bit too quickly. It can in extreme cases lead to a stress fracture. Don't let that scare the shit out of you - it won't go from a bit if pain in your shin on this run to manifesting into a stress fracture quickly. But, you probably need to ease back a little bit and build up a bit more slowly (in terms of weekly mileage and in terms of speed). Next time you to out, take it really easy and see how your shin feels. Chances are it's a bit of stress on a muscle you haven't been using so much and it will be fine.

But do keep an eye on it - if it gets worse, it's always a good idea to get it checked out. A stress fracture is no fun for anyone.