aberdeen-music

The Running Thread

Gladstone

Have you ever looked at joining a JogScotland group?  They have runs all over the country and are aimed at getting people involved in running from complete beginners to intermediate level.  Our club runs a group i parallel with our weekly club training and it gets a good crowd of new runners some of whom are now making the switch over to our normal club training and races.  I know there's a few other groups in Aberdeen, Stonehaven and the rest of the shire.

http://www.jogscotland.org.uk/

I think once I've hit the half-hour/5k then I'll definitely look into that. Onto Week 2 this evening! Hopefully it's not dinging down.

So, I'm about done with Week 2, but if my aim is to run the Edinburgh Marathon next May then I'm looking at this as a rough guide:

Should be hitting 5k at the beginning of July, then aiming to be doing 10k by mid-August and hoping to hit half-marathon distance by December at least. I can lengthen any training program a little as I imagine doubling up from this point to marathon distance is tougher than getting up to half-marathon. Is this realistic enough?

I'm also looking to get a decent pedometer/watch/contraption so I can start increasing my distance on runs with some accuracy once I've hit 5k. Any recommendations? Also plan on treating myself to a new pair of running shoes. The ones I have are super comfortable, but I'm worried they're going to start falling apart as they were used for trail running for a few years before I inherited them. 

So, I'm about done with Week 2, but if my aim is to run the Edinburgh Marathon next May then I'm looking at this as a rough guide:

Should be hitting 5k at the beginning of July, then aiming to be doing 10k by mid-August and hoping to hit half-marathon distance by December at least. I can lengthen any training program a little as I imagine doubling up from this point to marathon distance is tougher than getting up to half-marathon. Is this realistic enough?

I'm also looking to get a decent pedometer/watch/contraption so I can start increasing my distance on runs with some accuracy once I've hit 5k. Any recommendations? Also plan on treating myself to a new pair of running shoes. The ones I have are super comfortable, but I'm worried they're going to start falling apart as they were used for trail running for a few years before I inherited them. 

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to cover the marathon distance by May next year with that plan.

The collective wisdom does seem to be that marathon should be a much longer term goal but it really depends on what you want to get out of it.  I think the majority of people who tick off the marathon do it kind of like you in that they build up to marathon as soon as they can and that's great.  Well, the vast majority set out to do something like you are, but then fall way short in the training and don't keep it up and then struggle their way round the marathon.  That's kind of what I did.  I have no plan to go back to marathon for a long time now that I'm getting into running in a much more serious and structured way.  5k / 10k / Half marathon only for the foreseeable future.  The step up from half marathon to marathon is much much harder in my opinion than getting up to half marathon in the first place.

I'm sure that is true for most people but in my experience more so because I did bugger all training for the marathon.  I was able to blag my way to anything up to about 15/16 miles actually, which led me down the path of thinking I could blag the marathon.  I don't think there would be many out there who could blag the marathon distance.  It is a fucking long way to run!!

It sounds to me like you've got a much more sensible route though.  My only advice would be to try very hard to stick to that plan and build up gradually.  But yeah, a year is loads of time to train for a marathon (think of the training you're currently doing as the very early part of your marathon training - it all absolutely, 100%, counts).

I'm excited for Baker Hughes 10k...  Really looking forward to it!

Is this right, for everyone on here...?

Chris - target - sub 50

Scootray - target sub 50 (?)

Moose - target sub 45

Scorge - target 62/63 (possibly sub 60)
Gladstone - target - sub 40

Anyone I've missed?

It's a bit early, but I'm a tad bored today and it's pretty much all I can think about right now...  but yeah, massive good luck to everyone running!

I've revised my target to 45 - 50 as I've not trained enough and I'll likely be a bit hungover.  I don't deserve under 50 minutes, to be fair.  Going to do the route tonight at a leisurely pace as it starts at my front door.  Will aim for about 55 minutes.

I'm excited for Baker Hughes 10k...  Really looking forward to it!

Is this right, for everyone on here...?

Chris - target - sub 50

Scootray - target sub 50 (?)

Moose - target sub 45

Scorge - target 62/63 (possibly sub 60)
Gladstone - target - sub 40

Anyone I've missed?

It's a bit early, but I'm a tad bored today and it's pretty much all I can think about right now...  but yeah, massive good luck to everyone running!

I'm really looking forward to it.

Club training tonight, not sure if I'm going to do a hard interval session or opt for a steady run. Tempted to take it really easy but also want to make sure I'm in as good form as possible and think sticking closer to my normal routine might be good. The 10k is just a blip in my seasons plans. Scolty is in a few weeks and the Skye Half Marathon follows soon after, they're more important.

Plan for the rest of the week is take it easy, don't eat too much and don't drink too much. Try and get out on my bike tomorrow or Thursday for an easy paced ride and then maybe a fairly easy 5k on Friday or Saturday

My achilles tendonitis reared it's ugly head on a practice 10k today.  Might not be able to do the race now, and it I do, it'll be through the pain no doubt.  Going to go get my running style evaluated as I think I must need a certain type of shoes.

Still, I got to just under 7k in 35 minutes which is amazing for what felt like a leisurely enough pace.  About 5 of those kilometres were with a tammy achilles too.

Pretty fucking sad as this has been on and off for 2 years.   ;(

My achilles tendonitis reared it's ugly head on a practice 10k today.  Might not be able to do the race now, and it I do, it'll be through the pain no doubt.  Going to go get my running style evaluated as I think I must need a certain type of shoes.

Still, I got to just under 7k in 35 minutes which is amazing for what felt like a leisurely enough pace.  About 5 of those kilometres were with a tammy achilles too.

Pretty fucking sad as this has been on and off for 2 years.   ;(

That sucks. Take it you've seen a physio?  

Yeah.  It all happened when I knackered the ligaments in a nasty challenge on the rugby pitch.  Thought it was just my ligaments, but a few months later started getting this inflammation in my achilles.  I usually stay on top of it, but when it's not been bad in a long while I get complacent, I suppose.  It's kinda my fault, as I probably haven't been warming it up and down sufficiently.  Just gonna wait til Sunday morning, take ibuprofen, stretch and ioce it, hopefully I'll at least get through the race. 

Yeah.  It all happened when I knackered the ligaments in a nasty challenge on the rugby pitch.  Thought it was just my ligaments, but a few months later started getting this inflammation in my achilles.  I usually stay on top of it, but when it's not been bad in a long while I get complacent, I suppose.  It's kinda my fault, as I probably haven't been warming it up and down sufficiently.  Just gonna wait til Sunday morning, take ibuprofen, stretch and ioce it, hopefully I'll at least get through the race. 

Is icing it pre-race a good idea?  I would have thought you need it warmed up as much as possible rather than icing it.  Nae sure like - i.e. - that isn't advice, more a question.

Definitely ice afterwards to bring any inflammation down.

I never really understood the cold vs heat thing until recently when I injured my calf.  I was religously applying ice but never applying heat.  Once I'd received the advice to apply heat, the calf seemed to clear up much quicker.  I think the theory goes that by applying heat, you are increasing the blood flow to that part of the body and the increased blood flow speeds up the "repair" process.  If I ever feel my calf a little bit stiffer than usual, I apply heat and it seems to be fine the next day.

That is different to an actual "injury" though - if I properly strained my calf, I would have to go back to ice to start with to reduce the inflammation first, then go onto heat.

I think...

EDIT:  This is what I got for my heat pack:  http://www.firstaid4sport.co.uk/Wheat-Herbal-Heat-Pack-P8700/

Edited by Gladstone