aberdeen-music

sanding a acoustic guitar

Moon Moon

In all seriousness, the cost of an electric sander (+ maybe flogging the thing for a tenner or something) is probably going to buy you a new guitar in better nick than that beast.  Unless you know someone with some woodworking hardware, you're just going to have to pick up some really coarse sandpaper and make with the elbow grease.  I suppose if the paint is really thick, you could go at it very gently with a very sharp chisel, but you will risk fucking the wood up.

Acoustic guitars are glued together. A paint stripper will heat the glue and could make the guitar fall apart.

Your guitar is probably laminate instead of solid wood, putting heat on it when you don't know what you're doing is a very bad idea.

If I was you i'd be asking myself if it's worth the bother. It's not a bad guitar by any means - but it's not all that great either. Maybe better to cut your losses and move on to something a bit less destroyed?

Edited by colb
  • Upvote 1

Just fucking sand it. if by a paint stripper you mean a heat gun, this will no dout warp and burn the wood and fuck the shit out of the glue. Alternatively if you're meaning a chemical stripper such as nitro,lightning bolt, mors it can also damage the wood/glue if you're not careful. It's pretty rough stuff.

I'd just follow Oedo's advice and get a new guitar once you can afford it. However, since the guitars already pretty fucked, you could just fuck it some more to give it a really 'personal' touch.