aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

One New Whatever Every Whatever #14

a4265604240_2.jpg

Enabler - La Fin Absolue Du Monde

Raging metallic hardcore from Ohio. They've got a hefty back catalogue, though I've not really heard much by them other than the odd track. I gave this a spin as it cropped up in Spotify New Releases, as it came out just a few months ago. It's pretty nasty. The guitar sounds ugly and guttural, like an old Trap Them record, and it has a bit that foot-stomping borderline-Nu Metal groove to it, like Stray From the Path. Best hardcore record I've heard this year so far. 4 and a half outta 5.

Loads of New Albums a Day #12

61Bmk39FcBL._SY300_.jpg

Jello Biafra & The Melvins - Never Breathe What You Can't See

If the Dead Kennedys were still going, this probably isn't far off what they'd sound like. It definitely doesn't sound much like the Melvins, until the last song. Adam Jones of TOOL plays guitar on some of the tracks too, though I can't really tell where. Jello Biafra himself is probably an acquired taste, and it's a very vocal-heavy record, so you probably need to like Jello Biafra, or you'd be wise to give this one a miss. In his old age, his voice has lost a bit of bite, and he sounds a bit like Fred Schneider sometimes. S'alright. 2 and a half outta 5.

As Many New Albums I Want A Day #13

pamogaabk.jpg

Jello Biafra & NoMeansNo - The Sky is Falling and I Want My Mommy

If the Dead Kennedys were still going in 1991, this probably isn't far off what they'd sound like. Though, this one sounds a lot more like the backing band than The Melvins album does. This was released just a couple of years after NoMeansNo released Wrong, which is an excellent record, so NMN were still at their peak, and Jello doesn't sound like an old man at this point. This album is a bit more frantic, and downright sillier. A solid rocker. 3 outta 5.

Have you heard "Last Scream of the Missing Neighbours", the album he did with DOA around the same era as the NoMeansNo one? It's great. "Full Metal Jackoff" is still a favourite, good live version on YooToobe

http://youtu.be/oXALSRxazZA

New album a day

Grizzy Bear - Shields Up.

GrizzlyBearShields.jpg

I've got a few mates who absolutely spaff over this band, I bought this on recommendation 2 years ago and only just got round to listening to it. Not my thing at all. I found it really tough going, by track 5 I was looking at it to see how long I had left to sit through. Did not enjoy.

(Not a new album)

Eels - The Cautionary Tales Of Mark Oliver Everett. 

eels_the_cautionary_tales_of_mark_oliver

This is a band I've never really bothered with, caught them at a few festivals, and apart from "Beautiful Freak" which EVERYBODY who was a teenager in the 90s has, I think I only own one other album. This is a very stripped back and sparse album, very personal lyrics, but it still manages to be crammed full of brilliant pop melodies and really sweet songs. Absolutely top notch. Really annoyed i missed them touring this album a couple of months ago.

Edited by Lucky Rathen

One New Album a Day #15

nick-oliveris-uncontrollable-leave-me-al

Nick Oliveri's Uncontrollable - Leave Me Alone

The Uncontrollable is usually an acoustic thing with Nick and Blag Dhalia of The Dwarves, but on this occasion, it's Nick playing everything (plugged in and loud) with a bunch of guest vocalists chipping in, though Nick takes most of the lead vocals. It's not too far removed from Mondo Generator. Grimy, scummy punk rock. Filthy riffs, Rollins-style macho vocals about fighting and shagging birds. YEAH. Decent. 2 and a half outta 5.

One New Whatever Every Whatever #14

a4265604240_2.jpg

Enabler - La Fin Absolue Du Monde

Raging metallic hardcore from Ohio. They've got a hefty back catalogue, though I've not really heard much by them other than the odd track. I gave this a spin as it cropped up in Spotify New Releases, as it came out just a few months ago. It's pretty nasty. The guitar sounds ugly and guttural, like an old Trap Them record, and it has a bit that foot-stomping borderline-Nu Metal groove to it, like Stray From the Path. Best hardcore record I've heard this year so far. 4 and a half outta 5.

Good. Damn good.

New album a day - Saturday:

Karnivool - Asymmetry

Karnivool-Asymmetry-300x300.jpg

This was OK, and I thought the songs were mostly quite interesting, using different song structures and the likes. Proggy heavy rock I suppose. Althoug I kept waiting for a big crescendo that never really came, and booooy it's long. Fuck it's long. It's so fucking long.

Not new

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell

51JSJ5PX2JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This album barely left my CD player in the whole of 2004 but I haven't listened to it in years. It's still a really good album. All the songs are different enough to stand out from each other and Karen O's deranged shrieking is the difference that makes them a really memorable band.

Edited by Lucky Rathen

A bit of an update:

Goat ~ Commune

L068_Goat_Commune_cover_RGB_small.jpg

Swedish psych rock with a heavy focus on repetition. This record is fucking great in so many ways, the entire construction of the records with samples, the vocals, the badass guitar parts, the fucking bongos. Maybe my album of the year.

TWO THUMBS UP.

Karen O ~ Crush Songs

homepage_large.a1a5ee1c.jpg

This is super lo-fi, and I don't think it would be unfair to describe it as a sketchbook of songs, rather than a completed album. The songs are quite charming, but I can't help but wonder what they would sound like if they were fleshed out by an entire band. Worth a listen though, especially if you like DIY pop or Karen O.

New album a day

Grizzy Bear - Shields Up.

GrizzlyBearShields.jpg

I've got a few mates who absolutely spaff over this band, I bought this on recommendation 2 years ago and only just got round to listening to it. Not my thing at all. I found it really tough going, by track 5 I was looking at it to see how long I had left to sit through. Did not enjoy.

This album is great, you are wrong! I'll fight you!

• Upvote 1

New #16

a2491791580_2.jpg

The Austerity Program - Beyond Calculation.

Prior to this record, I've only heard their 'Black Madonna' LP, and I didn't really take to it. The songs were either 1 minute blasts or 8 minutes of noise. This new record is impressive, and much more linear and constructed than Black Madonna. It feels more like a complete record. They seem to have refined their sound a lot more as well. Abrasive two piece from NYC. Drum machine beneath nasty guitars and Albini-esque talky-shouty vocals. Really bloody good. I'm going to be bold, and slap a 5 outta 5 on this one, because it's currently rocking my world.

30 New Albums In 30 Days # 9

The Melvins - Hostile Ambient Takeover

51x8vSR6w5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Pretty good album, doesn't deviate that much from their other stuff, slow, sludgy rock. Grungin' as fuck. 

30 New Albums In 30 Days # 10

Smokey Bastard - Tales From The Wasteland

v300_SmokeyBastard-TalesOfTheWasteland-U

Not a tribute to the notorious ex Aberdeen Music forum, but a celtic folk-punk band, all tin whistles, accordions and hardcore punx. They are so influenced by the Dropkick Murphys they're almost indistinguishable, even the singer sounds exactly like Al Barr, but with an English accent. Despite borrowing from their Bostonian counterparts a little too heavily, the songs are fucking superb. Mostly Irish influenced and sea-shanties, all big shouty anthems, easily as good as the Murphys at times. Only loses a star because the last three songs are shit (including an ill-advised Abba cover).

30 New Albums In 30 Days # 11

Richard Strange - This Is War

51XKVc%2BF%2BhL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Dark and humourous alternative rock, sort of.... Nick Cave meets Frank Zappa. Hard to describe. It's a good listen though. 

Not new

Dropkick Murphys - Sing Loud, Sing Proud!

512WM4XSTSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I think this might be my favourite Dropkick Murphys album. They stick to what they know and it doesn't change up much, but what they do they do well, and this is almost all killer, very few poor songs. Pure punx energy.

Edited by Lucky Rathen

I'm gonna try this game. Can't promise I'll last particularly wrong, but sod it.

Day One

cormega-megaphilosophy.jpg

Cormega - "Mega Philosophy"

Classic NY-style hip-hop from a guy who's been around for decades. It's a style of hip-hop that's completely gimmick-free, and will probably never sound dated. Banging Large Professor production coupled with sharp lyricism and lots of chat about authenticity and "realness." It's really short, and I was able to listen to it twice through on my morning commute (which is about minutes). There's not much more to say. If you like east coast hip-hop, you'll definitely like this.

Four crusty veteran rappers out of five.

Edited by Murrr

30 New Albums in 30 Days #12 (day 14)

Iceage - You're Nothing

homepage_large.4ff472e8.jpg

Scuzzy punchy punx that hits like a pool ball wrapped in a sock. Aggressive and angry, I liked this but I think I probably need to give it a second listen to get a proper feel for it. I'm all for half an hour of having my ears fucked, but over my lunchtime sandwich and Muller Fruit Corner while reading a magazine didn't really do it justice.

Edited by Lucky Rathen

New #17

homepage_large.03600940.jpg

Twilight - III: Beneath Trident's Tomb.

I listened to this a few days ago, but it's going to be my new album of the day. Fuck the police. I'd bits of it some time ago, but I never sat through the whole thing.

It's doom-laden black metal, with Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore on guitar. I know, right? Fucking weird. It's really scuzzy and heavy and nasty though, which I suppose Thurston Moore is no stranger to. But Black Metal? Wild! Tomorrow's new album of the day will be Guy Picciotto's solo grindcore act.

This is good, if ear-piercing white-noise blackened doom is your tipple. 3 and a half outta 5.

Been away from the computer, time to catch up.

New [bLANK] every [bLANK] #8

PostmodernJukebox.jpg

Scott Bradlee & Postmodern Jukebox - Twist is the New Twerk

Vintage 20's Jazz and Swing covers of modern pop hits. I love this shit. Musically incredibly well crafted and arranged, and it does a hilariously great job of pointing out how fucktarded some of the lyrics are by contrast to the musical backdrop.

I love it.

5/5

NEW #9

tfr.smartbomb.diamond.jpg

Smartbomb - Diamond Heist

Punk. Loud. Fast. Really short record but fantastically put together. Slight feeling of it being phoned in by the final stretch but overall a great listen.

4/5

NEW #10

smile-and-burn-we-didnt-even-fight-yet.j

Smile and Burn - We Didn't Even Fight Yet

Pop punk in the vein of Set Your Goals / Four Year Strong. Some fairly cackhanded gang vocals and average harmonies, but melodically pretty sound, interesting enough. Good, but not great or particularly memorable.

3/5

xx

Edited by Stroopy121

Day Two

JeezySeenItAllalbum.jpg

Jeezy - "Seen It All: The Autobiography"

This guy frustrates me. He has one of the coolest rap voices, but he's a poor lyricist and usually makes pretty shoddy songs. He did a great verse on a Rick Ross track ("War Ready") earlier this year, and a lot of people have been banging-on about this, so I gave it a few spins. I was hoping for piles of massive bangers interspersed with filler tunes about "grindin'" and "hustlin'" and a few slower numbers for the ladies. What I got was one colossal, building-levelling smacker ("What You Say"), a decent intro ("40 Block"), and 13 other completely forgettable tracks. All rumbling bass and snapping snares, no substance. Throw in a comically-delivered Jay-Z verse, contributions from some of the fartiest men in hip-hop (Game, Future, Rick Ross... fuckin, AKON) and Jeezy's overuse of irritating ad-libs ("DAAAAAAAYUM!") and you're left with an expensive new coaster.

NEW #11

a0339585625_10.jpg

Masked Intruder - Masked Intruder

Pop punk with harmonies n shit and lots of songs about girls. Like if Fun were a pop-punk band rather than NYC hipster-core. GOOD.

4/5

AFI_-_Sing_the_Sorrow_cover.jpg

AFI - Sing the Sorrow

Like The Misfits but more power-pop/rock oriented and less good.

3/5

#Thirteen

No_Use_for_a_Name_-_More_Betterness!_cov

No Use for a Name - More Betterness!

Fucking great. Great as fuck.

5/5

xx

d09814.jpg

Copywrite & Surock - Murderland

I don't know much about Copywrite. I saw someone else on Spotify listening to it, and with a title like Murderland, I thought it was going to be aggro as fuck. It let me down there. It's not very aggro. Copywrite's flow is mostly decent, but has plenty of ropey moments that just sound a little too jarring. There are also some long instrumental passages which didn't really keep my attention. Got a bit bored towards the middle. It became background music by the end. 2 outta 5.

I've not heard this before, but I listened to it today and here's what I think #19

Black_on_Black-A_Tribute_to_Black_Flag_r

Various Artists - Black on Black: A Tribute to Black Flag.

I have no problem with tribute albums. When they are released, they tend to slip under the radar, even when they're populated by good, reputable bands. Why wouldn't you want to hear songs by a band you like played by a band you like? Plus a number of bands you probably don't know but might end up liking? Sounds like win win, right?

Lots of hardcore punk heavyweights lining up to take a swing at a Black Flag jam, and the end result is a right good listen. Converge, Coalesce, Planes Mistaken For Stars, Give Up The Ghost. All good stuff. None of the bands really takes too much of an outlandish stab at a cover. It sounds as you'd expect. Louder, heavier Black Flag songs. COOL. Drowningman's version of Loose Nut is the standout for me.

Tribute albums are super fun. 4 outta 5.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

Been sat having a lazy morning so far and got through the following (all first time listens):

Les Savy Fav - Emor: Rome Upside Down EP - decent bit of noughties rock, but with it being an EP never really got going enough for me. 6/10

Ricardo Villalobos - Alcachofa - decent enough electronic music that would have been better if the tracks weren't as long. A lot with ideas that either take ages to develop or don't really go anywhere. 5/10

Jim O'Rourke - Insignificance - dunno what I was expecting but this wasn't it. In a good way. Really enjoyed this. Nice mellow, mostly acoustic, alt-americanaish with a bit of slide guitar thrown in 8/10

Rustie - Green Swords - awesome. Love music that sounds like it could have been the soundtrack to a Mega Drive game. Really entertaining

For your sake I hope at some point in the future you look back with great embarrassment on the fact you only rated Alcachofa 5/10. It's an all time classic. 

I still haven't listened to Green Language in full, I like the songs I've heard so far but have a nagging fear I'm not going to like the whole album nearly as much as Glass Swords. Actually looking at your post now I'm not sure which of the two you listened to  :laughing:

30 new albums in 30 days #13 (day 18)

T-Bone Burnett - Tooth Of Crime

Tooth+of+Crime.jpg

Americana with horns. Mostly melodic and easy to listen to, kinda Beatles-esque in places, though occasionally its a tuneless parping nightmare.

30 new albums in 30 days #14 (day 18)

Pennywise - Yesterdays

Yesterdays+Coverpng.png

Skate-punk survivors do what they do. Punchy 3 minute punk songs about people being dicks. This is what they're good at, no need to reinvent the wheel.