aberdeen-music

Johnny Truant + Salem + Allergo + My Mind's Weapon

Ross

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good gig. too many posing fashioncore scenesters for my liking (how many people had the same hair tonight? then again at least they have a hairstyle unlike my mess) swinging their fists with no respect for others. im all up for a bit of hardcore dancing but at least I respect the people around me...any of the people that thought they were being hard last night wouldnt last two mins in a Sick Of It All pit!

I have to mention My Minds Weapon too. I saw their first gig and wasnt impressed with it but they sound really tight and had lots of stage prescence. not really my kinda music but still a good band!

also well done to Adams choice of music. despite me requesting Hot Water Music, then asking him half an hour later what the last song was. "thats the hot water music song you requested". how embarassing!

Guest Nikola Tesla

Fucking ace gig.

I could agree that there was too many fashioncore people there, but i honestly don't care bout that kind of thing in gigs. Plus it might get them into good music.

I think one of the problems with the pit was that everyone was so compacted into one space it made it hard for anyone to dance properly without people getting hit by accident.

Which was much less of a problem in the back room as the space then was much larger for some good hardcore dancing.

But otherwise both Allergo and Johhny Truant killled.. :up:

Guest ForbiddenFruitcake

It was an absolutely awesome gig.

Johnny Truant were amazing, really energetic and interacted with the crowd so much, awesome. Got a bit...squashed..in the pit, too many people pushing forward, not enough space, but I'm not complaining, meant I got closer to Ollie.;) They seemed a LOT different to when I last saw them, a year or so ago (missed the last Aberdeen date), last night has to be one of the best gigs ever for me. (And I have the bruises to prove it :rolleyes:)

The support bands were fantastic, Evacuating Heaven are doing so well, I noticed a few people were pretty impressed, and I think they have a lot of potential. (Cheap plug-catch them at Drakes on Wednesday) :p

Allergo were fucking ace as usual, had a lot of fun dancing away at the front, they seem to be really coming into their own, can't wait for another recording! Pity I didn't have enough money to buy one of their 3 pound sexy chat-up lines..heh.

All in all...Good stuff!

Evacuating Heaven - totally enjoyed them.

Allergo - they were killer. very, very impressive. i was in the pit for them...

Johnny Truant - i spent most of the gig with Ollie's crotch in my face, but what the hell. Headbanging galore, getting kneed in the face, hearing 'seven days at knifepoint' and 'i am the primotologist...' made the gig for me, new stuff sounds awesome. overall a fucking brilliant gig.

Guest Nikola Tesla
Evacuating Heaven - totally enjoyed them.

Evacuating Heaven are doing so well' date=' I noticed a few people were pretty impressed, [/quote']

Glad you enjoyed the set.....

Although it was like only our second gig i thought we did ok....

if anyone heard us. Any constructive critisism or thoughts you had (if any) about evac would be nice...

thanx

Just as a side note we have another gig on wed in drakes.... its gonna be mental... Come down if you want owned by some great crust punk from Filthpact and Easpa Measa (who we're supporting)

mmmmm good gig. glad i went must say

JT - if only played little bit of shorter set. 45 mins of that stuff gets bit tedious. all the same they were very nice indeed

MMw - nice one guys. enjoyed you even more than usual prob because my ears were craving some melody. just keeps gettin heavier :)

Allergo - errrrrr do these guys ever put a foot wrong. christ you showed JT how brutal metal hardcore cross over should be done. campest front man ever toooo. lovin it

Evacuating Heaven - Sorry guys just not for me at all. fact of no low end prob did it for me. just sounded musically weak to be honest. singers growl is pretty brutal tho

Allergo... campest front man

Controversial.

Evac - did good for only their second gig. Stu is decidedly nuts. I'm sure in time they'll have a perfect 'fashioncore' crowd of their own' date=' dancing in circles, holding hands and swaying lighter aloft during the quieter moments. :moody: I'm certain some of the 'fashioncore' members of the crowd [i']have been to SOIA, and some are going.

Allergo - I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought they shoulda been higher on the bill.

MMW - awesome to watch, catchy. Still hate the vocals though.

JT - were pretty enjoyable, better last time I thought. Loving some of the intricacy of the new material - watched the bassist for most of their time - awesome.

also well done to Adams choice of music. despite me requesting Hot Water Music' date=' then asking him half an hour later what the last song was. "thats the hot water music song you requested". how embarassing![/quote']

It wasn't the actual song you requested but still by HWM. Seeing as how tracks kept getting cut off/turned down/having other tracks played over them by the sound guy I figured the shorter tracks would be better so you got the whole song listened to :)

This would also explain any narkiness on my part if you were one of the people telling me to turn the music up in volume when I had no control over it. :moody:

Gig was great overall but I'd have to agree with Kirk about the crowd - strange air of pretentiousness around to some degree. As Rob also noted - where are all these folk when there's bitching hardcore gigs on at Drakes? GU Medicine are doing the rest of the support slots with Johnny Truant and they're on Undergroove same as Johnny Truant. If they'd played tonight I gather a lot of people would've really enjoyed them so where were they when the Medicine played Drakes? :p

Looking forward to seeing Evacuating Heaven at Drakes again on Wednesday to see how they sound in Drakes I must admit.

Guest WalkingOnGlass

It was a fun night...

Evac Heaven..Um, Evacuating talent more like...I'm sorry, but I don't think I've ever read so much Back-Patting friend nonsense..Mr A Song Ruined has an impressive voice, he needs to learn to control it though and how to use it to the most effectiveness...The guitarist was relatively clueless, at one point in soundcheck he struggled to switch the amp on, so no wonder his tone was ear-wrenching, might be an idea to learn to play in time as well...Calum's a strong blastbeat drummer, but that's about it from the 2 or 3 times I've seen him play, it's a shame that blastbeats sound pants when the band only have one guitar, and thats out of time...No songs, singer had presence, but moved in the exact contrived Jacob Bannon way you'd expect...Fuck playing Wednesday, get a bassist and go back to the drawing board, waste of a good growl I say..[ben Edit] Look to Ruptured Spleen, you might have learned something..[/ben Edit]

Allergo - Freaking Awesome band in places, full stop. Regardless of age, if they were 20, 30 or 40, they'd still be impressive. Massive breakdowns and awesome stage presence.

I thought JT started off Brutally. 'Bloodening' and 'Primatologist' ruled, Ollie had ace stage presence and just looks hard. Thought that they played about 10 minutes to long for my attention span, but bruatl, tight band none the same.

Had to laugh at all the 'hardcore' kids with tight tee's and floppy hair...I like how we've been moved out of the what's cool...Roll on out of town :)

next time we come back i'll shag some death metaller into a coma.

You may try little Perth loon, but you shall fail. Death Metal will out live this pathetic, over rated and most certainly overly reproduced Hard, screamo, math, digeridoo, spazzticwank CORE that seems ever so fashionable these days. :moody:

No offense to your band of course. I have seen you twice and found you very compitent musicians. Just wish there was another genre people were trying to play.

It wasn't the actual song you requested but still by HWM.

'Paper Thin' I recall!

'The Sense' is soooo much better though... or 'Free Radio Gainesville' if you go a little further back. 'Three Summers Strong' for a retro feel...