aberdeen-music

I don't know why I'm bothering, but...

Guest Tam o' Shantie

The SI Reich sound like a fearsome bunch!

In all honesty I don't see what all the fuss is. If you want to post a load of shite and troll children go do it on twitter or whatever. 

I realise that most of the posts on this forum aren't really music related but there is a good community here and people generally lend a hand if you need help with something.

I don't really understand why this is an issue. If people want to come and discuss musical instruments on a music forum surely that's a good thing no?

It is an issue for me because I do not care about guitars or local bands of zero cultural significance, or 90s rock albums. Bit of football too. Basically everyone on it is old and boring, i'm leaving lol

The "usuals" on here get no more leeway than anyone else when it comes to feedback on their music. Alkaline ripped shreads off music i posted up from my own band, but in a good constructive way, so there was no issue, but he certainly didnt hold back because i am a regular poster. If you post up something good for feedback, you will get good feedback, post up shite and you'll get bad feedback, no matter how many posts you have to your name. 

• Upvote 1

The SI Reich sound like a fearsome bunch!

In all honesty I don't see what all the fuss is. If you want to post a load of shite and troll children go do it on twitter or whatever. 

I realise that most of the posts on this forum aren't really music related but there is a good community here and people generally lend a hand if you need help with something.

I don't really understand why this is an issue. If people want to come and discuss musical instruments on a music forum surely that's a good thing no?

He's not a child, but you gave Gordon Duthie a good run, didn't you?

Playing gigs outside of Aberdeen is the only reason to buy a guitar, and/or talk about it.

Or maybe Tam's just mad because alot of people here play guitar music, and he only likes bleepy bloopy techno techno techno. Or something.

Sell your gear. Delete the internet.

• Upvote 2

Guest davetherave

The forum has gone downhill a wee bit recently, but its the same with all things on the interweb, give it a few weeks and the buzz should come back?

Other than the odd cupid stunt posting shite or taking the piss out of forum first timers its a good place, without it I wouldnt have got involved with the two bands I currently play in.

I've mixed feelings about this board in all honesty. When I first started on this boards predecessors and with this board itself there was a vibrant scene that took advantage of these boards being a brand new way of getting their music across to other people. I think to that extent Aberdeen Music was a breath of fresh air that invigorated local music at the time.

Fast forward ten years plus and the novelty has worn off a little as there are many more avenues open to musicians to get their music out there. Forums have partially become redundant in that regard as far as I'm concerned. I don't need to post on here about my band but I do so as there's part of me that wants to hang onto the enjoyment that I've had being a member of Aberdeen Music for so long.

I'm not going to say I've met a lot of people I like through Aberdeen Music as I probably haven't really, most of the muso related folks I've met over the years have been at gigs or through other musicians, but as I get older and go to fewer gigs I have met my current bandmates through this site and I'm greatful for that as it's really invigorated my drive in music in the last year.

There will always be flamewarz on teh webz, people get behind a keyboard and play the cunt all the time, but it doesn't mean that they aren't a mildly amusing aspect of forum life. I don't have much time for posters like Jaaaaake(Bassist) and Young Adolescent as they are obviously being controversial for the sake of it (former) and a petulant child (latter). I expect as much and it's not like I'd want them banned from the board but my tolerance for both of them and their inane chatter is very limited. I can't say I've ever agreed with the Shuttersp33d banter/Gordan Duthie nonsense but I'm sure as most of the forum members did it's probably just a differing sense of humour thing (ditto Giles Walker and his status as head forum Belieber).

I've always tried to give constructive feedback on other users music on here in recent years as I remember how daunting it was when I was younger and starting out but I won't take part in community back-slapping. I was actually surprised/glad at how many forum users took the time to listen to the Needleman stuff and very greatful to those who offered feedback as a result though that seems to have died off a little. I actually think for the most part that the regulars on here have made a concerted effort to listen to new music generated by local bands in teh last year and I'm glad because it shows this community in a much better light that it had been bathing itself in for a number of years.

I'm a little disappointed that Tam O'Shantie has hung up the towel but as I said in his "validate me" thread you get out of this forum what you put in. If you just come here for craps and laughs at other people's expense you'll get bored and fuck off. If you come on here to big up yourself and not actively spend time conversing with the other users and then chuck a bitch fit because people aren't that interested in your music because you've spent no time showing any interest in theirs you'll be shovelling the toys out the pram in no time.

I think there needs to be a happy medium and I don't think the mods on here do a bad job actually. The current crop are actually a lot more balanced than the previous lot, who tended to pick sides rather than being objective and I actually don't think some of the thread culling and post shearing that goes on is heavy-handed but it's definitely a thankless task being a mod, you can't please everyone.

Anyway, that's my tuppence for what it's worth.

Edited by Alkaline
  • Upvote 5

Thats the thing as well, at times you it can seem like a bit of backslapping is going on, but thats because it tends to be the same 15/20 posters who ever give any feedback, and they in turn are usually in bands themselves and are open to returning the feedback. There is nothing wrong with that, im more than happy to critique someones music if they have taken their time to listen and critique mine. Its only fair after all. 

Someone like Tom has contributed nothing to any feed back threads on here in a long time, yet when he posted stuff he expected everyone to give him some, like Alkaline says, if you dont give anything to the site, dont expect anything back. 10EW got plenty of feedback because they were active and involved. Like i also said a few times, Tom was posting up inks to stuff only a select few on these forums enjoyed, that should in no way be a criticism of the boards, its just a more rock orientated site. 

No one is kidding themselves that this site is as bustling as it used to be, back in the day you had active reviewers going to gigs like Kai and a few others who kept the feedback threads going, now a days people use their own personal blogging sites to do that, folk like Hercules Moments would have been on here years ago, now their is no need for them to be here when they can have a FB page and reach a lot more people. Same goes for normal people going to gigs, years ago after a good gig this was the only place to talk about it, now you can go home and speak about it over FB and its much quicker and simpler, or you post about it whilst your still out. 

Its a very different internet now a days, AB  music just has to ride with it and keep itself going. 

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/topic/54448-home-recording/

This is the type of thing I love this site for.

If you'd posted a similar thread on gearslutz you would of been eaten alive by the elitists.

On here you get some sound advice and some hearty banter. There wasn't even any 90's rock music mentioned.

I honestly don't see what all the fuss is.

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/topic/54448-home-recording/

This is the type of thing I love this site for.

If you'd posted a similar thread on gearslutz you would of been eaten alive by the elitists.

On here you get some sound advice and some hearty banter. There wasn't even any 90's rock music mentioned.

I honestly don't see what all the fuss is.

There's been a thread about that sort of thing before:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/topic/47035-whats-your-recording-setup-and-method/?hl=home%20recording

Aside from me secretly wanting to be Adam EW's best friend and confidante, I really don't get the whole in-joke/clique thing. It simply doesn't exist. You get to know what certain people are like after a while and respond accordingly and of course there are some references to threads gone by, but that's about as far as any 'same old posters wanking each other off' gets. This argument gets wheeled out every time someone takes the hump. If you can string together a sentence, can construct an argument and not be a dick you're golden - people will reply, discuss and give feedback with no qualms whatsoever.

• Upvote 4

r.e. the 'my music is on another level to you 90s cock rock cover band bastards' hissy fit ... this was one of the funniest posts Ive seen on this board. Promoting some compilation...

Seems like the internet is going fairly nuts for this. Aside from a million no-name blogs posting this, a few of the main features:

LOL

I'm just imagining the whole internet LOSING THEIR SHIT over this download. People crying and rocking in corners and shit.

Seriously though, with such an arrogant tone, why would anyone on a no name website such as this bother replying? 
  • Upvote 3

r.e. the 'my music is on another level to you 90s cock rock cover band bastards' hissy fit ... this was one of the funniest posts Ive seen on this board. Promoting some compilation...

LOL

I'm just imagining the whole internet LOSING THEIR SHIT over this download. People crying and rocking in corners and shit.

Seriously though, with such an arrogant tone, why would anyone on a no name website such as this bother replying? 

That was my problem with him, there's nothing wrong with wanting to be recognised or respected but waddling in like Charlie BigBaws and expecting everyone to push their panties aside and pre-grease their beef-curtains when you haven't even bought them a drink is just not cricket. Like I said, if he'd made an effort to contribute to the forum by talking about other people's music (whether he likes it or not is irrelevant) then the rest of us might've been a little bit more receptive of his own stuff and all the things his label have been up to.

In his defense, there are a lot of 'fits at dunce music pish?... I can twiddle some knobs and call it music' types. Similarly though, there are just as many MPC-toting 'guitars = greenday covers band' types.

It should even itself out though with level-headed people who appreciate music for what it is, regardless of genre.

In his defense, there are a lot of 'fits at dunce music pish?... I can twiddle some knobs and call it music' types. Similarly though, there are just as many MPC-toting 'guitars = greenday covers band' types.

It should even itself out though with level-headed people who appreciate music for what it is, regardless of genre.

I'm not sure anyone waded in and said "fits at dance music pish?..." though, it was more a case of the forum taking very little notice because of the way it was presented, kinda of with an air of "worship at the alter of PHAT-TOM simple guitar wielding dullards!!!". It's amazing how much someone who's musical background is chiefly a pop-punk-rock band can be so dismissive of guitar orientated music entirely.

I agree this forum is very "guitar" music heavy but I would kind of expect that as the norm on a generic "music" forum. That doesn't mean that the people on it are only interested in that of course, the breadth and depth of music appreciation on this site is quite impressive. If anything that's one area that the forum has improved upon in the past few years. I doubt that many of us were talking about pop or dance music full stop 10 years ago on here, I know I wasn't.