aberdeen-music

FIFA '13

Moose

• 2 weeks later...

Got this for my birthday. It's actually much more enjoyable than I expected, which is probably because I skipped last year's edition. It plays more like an actual game of football than the last edition I properly played (11), rather than a rigid mess. I always found my Fifa experience was determined by the number of fuck-ups the computer forced me to make (dribbling the ball out for no reason, terrible 'keepers, passes going in the complete wrong direction, etc.) but there seems to be less of that. I swear the passing is still pretty guff though, it often goes nowhere near the direction I'm pressing. Might be time to mess around with manual.

Ultimate Team is the daddy for me, but the search function is still pants. Why can't I search by player ability? Why can't I search by manager nationality? Why can't I search for a specific formation modifier or club badge? Makes precisely zero sense. Still, loving UT online seasons with the big coin boosts you get at the end of each. I'm building an Italian team and I'm a few games away from being able to afford Claudio Marchisio. As sad as it sounds, it's a nice wee buzz when you acquire a player you've been saving up for.

Manager mode is still complete shit, but at least your "scout" tells you how much you'll need to bid to sign a player. Still overcomplicated for what it is, and the interface is complete shite.

After playing the recent instalments in the NBA 2K series, I can't stand EA's presentation. Fifa feels so poorly put together compared to those games. The commentary is awful ("he's not having the greatest of games but that was one of his best ever saves!"... every single bloody game, after the 'keeper scoops up an innocuous loose ball or catches a limp strike that's coming straight at him), the menu system is still clunky as hell and the graphics have been the same for about 3 years. With NBA 2K12 I feel like I'm involved in an actual TV broadcast: Fifa isn't even close to that.

Anyway, I'm on PS3. Add andythemurrr if you fancy an easy win.

After playing the recent instalments in the NBA 2K series, I can't stand EA's presentation. Fifa feels so poorly put together compared to those games. The commentary is awful ("he's not having the greatest of games but that was one of his best ever saves!"... every single bloody game, after the 'keeper scoops up an innocuous loose ball or catches a limp strike that's coming straight at him), the menu system is still clunky as hell and the graphics have been the same for about 3 years. With NBA 2K12 I feel like I'm involved in an actual TV broadcast: Fifa isn't even close to that.

I feel the same even compared to other EA Sports games. NHL and Madden look impressive as hell, and when a game is as perfect as it can be gameplay-wise, it becomes abuot the little things. I like NHL and Madden's attempts to make it like a true broadcast, and FIFA is miles away from that, from the commentary, to the awful looking fans in the stadium, and even the atmosphere in the ground. It's just so tame. There's not even roars from the crowd, and commentary is grating. The game is good, but there's still alot missing. I rinsed it for a few weeks, but then I got bored a little too quickly. Ultimate Team is fun, but all the other game modes are so awfully presented. apart from the physics of the gameplay, the whole thing could do with an overhaul.

I don't see how the commentary can be so bad in Fifa compared to NHL, but it is. NHL its repetitive, sure (plus, its been largely the same since at least NHL 07) but its still FAR better than the boring, unimpressed, slow shite in Fifa. Mind you, English football commentary and NHL commentary are MILES apart in real life I guess.

It feels like the NHL guys recorded more phrases for individual teams and players, so you don't get the usual cut and pasted commentary as often as you do in FIFA. It also feels more constant on NHL, as it usually is, where as FIFA has long silences where they won't say anything. It's a petty gripe, I suppose.

The Rangers have a player called Callahan, so I get to pinch that commentary name. Different spelling, but pronounces the same. Since he's a real player, they pronounce it in a few different tones too. Great!

I like the Custom Soundtracks option. I've spent more time on that than playing hockey so far, just so I can have Scrape by Unsane play when I score a goal, which doesn't happen often.

This is a total thread sabotage. To the Video Games thread!

• 2 weeks later...
The best new feature to FIFA13 is definitely the face-melting apocalypse and full body dislocation. It's something wrongfully absent from all previous footie sims

That screenshot/GIF is from FIFA 12, not 13. It was in a KSIOlejideBT vidya on YouTubez about a year ago.