aberdeen-music

FIFA '13

Moose

So it is just around the corner again. Oh how the years are passing...

Is anyone excited about it, or have you given up on this annual update nonsense?

I'm pretty excited tbf. I think if they can build on the new gameplay from '12, and improve on it, it will become a very playable game. Apparently "unpredictability" is being introduced as a thing. I hope this doesn't lead to annoyingly scripted games. I noticed in Fifa '12, in manager mode, I would either draw 2-2, win 5-0 or lose 0-1.

Vast improvements to Manager Mode are required, making stuff like transfers, player development, injuries and what not more realistic.

They say it's going to be the "BEST FIFA, LIKE, EVER GIZE" but I'm pretty sure they always state that.

I'll still probably get it at midnight from the 24 hour ASDA....

So it is just around the corner again. Oh how the years are passing...

Is anyone excited about it, or have you given up on this annual update nonsense?

I'm pretty excited tbf. I think if they can build on the new gameplay from '12, and improve on it, it will become a very playable game. Apparently "unpredictability" is being introduced as a thing. I hope this doesn't lead to annoyingly scripted games. I noticed in Fifa '12, in manager mode, I would either draw 2-2, win 5-0 or lose 0-1.

Vast improvements to Manager Mode are required, making stuff like transfers, player development, injuries and what not more realistic.

They say it's going to be the "BEST FIFA, LIKE, EVER GIZE" but I'm pretty sure they always state that.

I'll still probably get it at midnight from the 24 hour ASDA....

I hated the defending change they made to '12 after I tried the demo out. I hope they've improved that then I might get it.

I think the new defending system, while difficult to get to grips with initially, makes the whole game play a lot more like real football. Jockeying and standing off oponents in defence, instead of just holding a button and going straight for the ball (and usually winning it). The old defending system was far too easy, basically. I think it was the best thing about FIFA '12. It certainly hadn't been perfected in '12, but hopefully they have it bang on in '13.

They said that better players will be better at controlling the ball. That's a given, but I hope there isn't a complete gulf in quality between world class players and lower league players/youngsters having a first touch like a trampoline. I remember on some of the old FIFAs where just about any player that didn't play in the top division was mega slow and couldn't shoot. Glad they stamped that out pretty quickly, but hopefully this new unpredictablilty and first touch rennovations don't bring it all back again.

Also, headers and crosses have to be a bit easier, especially for a big man up front. in FIFA 11, it was so easy - you could put away every cross with a diving header - but they offset that too much in '12. I think it should be a lot easier with the correct combination at least (say if Antonio Valencia were to cross it into Tim Cahill: instant goal).

The player impact engine should be polished a bit, which will be good.

Hopefully there's even more emphasis on individual roles. I found that overall stats didn't matter so much in FIFA 12 and regularly got better performances out of lesser rates players. I was Blackburn Rovers and had a choice between Vince Grella and much higher rated Esteban Granero (who I signed, obv). I eventually chose Vince Grella, despite him being around 13 overall points below Granero, because I needed a ball winning midfielder and Grella was ace in the slide tackle, aggressive as fuck and had great positioning. Granted, he was a shite passer, couldn't run or win a header, but he fit into the team. If they can build on that more, it'd be fucking great.

That last paragraph was a cool story.

I don't necessarily go for the highest rated players either. I always go for the quickest ones! I just love playing fast counter attacking football. The demo for FIFA 13 is out on the 11th. I actually quite liked the PES demo this year for a change, the dribbling and touch controls were great and the arrow for manual passes is very useful. Probably get FIFA though just because I love the Virtual Pro option. The master league still shits over manager mode in FIFA so hopefully it will be better than the last couple of years.

Also - post your goals from FIFA 12. This was my favourite with my virtual pro. http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/124816386 Scored another beauty big Sam would be proud of but didn't save properly :( It was the best route one goal ever. Defender on edge of the box hoofs it clear, vp outpaces lanky central defender to ball and after it bounces a couple of times volleys it into the top corner from 30 yards with his first touch.

Yeah, one of the big problems with FIFA12 was that pace was all that mattered. Playing as Chelsea, I signed a lad called Marvell Wynne from Colorado Rapids - 66 overall, and shit compared to my squad. Was my first choice defender due to his 96 sprint speed. It's madness - why play slow-as-fuck Terry if you can just use Wynne and chase strikers down?

I'd actually like to see the manager mode simplified. I get really frustrated with the current incarnation because it's the most clunky, unprecise piece of shit ever. Give me a really simple, clean interface that's quick to navigate. Simplify the negotiation processes so that when I offer £1m for James Perch, I get a "yes," "no," or a counter-offer. Same with wages. And give me the answer there and then, none of this waiting around nonsense. In that sense, I'd like to see it simplified: no management game will ever come close to FM, so why both? Go with an arcadey approach and keep the realism on the pitch.

That said, some of the player prices, budgets, etc. are just stupid. I should not be able to sign Mario Gotze for a Championship side at the start of the first season. Get it sorted.

Age, form and years left in contract will play a huge part in signing players in '13. I think form in general will play a big part. I think that's essential, otherwise you just constantly field your best team and it gets borning. You need a reason to mix it up with youngsters and fringe players.

In terms of only using fast players: I think that makes the game way more boring. It's way better to have a selection of players with different strengths and weaknesses. That way it plays a lot more like football and is a much more satisfying experience. Also, I think it's much easier to use a big defender - like Chris Samba! - than a wee pacey one.

I'd actually like to see the manager mode simplified. I get really frustrated with the current incarnation because it's the most clunky, unprecise piece of shit ever. Give me a really simple, clean interface that's quick to navigate. Simplify the negotiation processes so that when I offer £1m for James Perch, I get a "yes," "no," or a counter-offer. Same with wages. And give me the answer there and then, none of this waiting around nonsense. In that sense, I'd like to see it simplified: no management game will ever come close to FM, so why both? Go with an arcadey approach and keep the realism on the pitch.

That said, some of the player prices, budgets, etc. are just stupid. I should not be able to sign Mario Gotze for a Championship side at the start of the first season. Get it sorted.

In terms of only using fast players: I think that makes the game way more boring. It's way better to have a selection of players with different strengths and weaknesses. That way it plays a lot more like football and is a much more satisfying experience. Also, I think it's much easier to use a big defender - like Chris Samba! - than a wee pacey one.

Yes, but I noticed a lot while playing online that you can be utterly trounced by a team made up of real-life no-marks like Craig Westcarr and Oscar Gobern purely because they're fast. It's heartbreaking.

Age, form and years left in contract will play a huge part in signing players in '13. I think form in general will play a big part. I think that's essential, otherwise you just constantly field your best team and it gets borning. You need a reason to mix it up with youngsters and fringe players.

I hope the younger players actually grow fast enough to make it worth your while in manager mode this year. In one of my games I persevered and played my best youth players a hell of a lot (started every game where they had full stamina, if there were 2 games in close succession they were rested until back to near full stamina) as soon as they turned 16 regardless of their crappy stats and I think the best one ended up at 83 overall by the time he was 23 from a starting rating of 70. Most of the others progressed far slower than that despite the top rating scout marking them as a promising.7 seasons of play to end up with a mediocre player. Not worth it!

Plus of them are so unbalanced in stats it is not worth it either. That player than ended up so high was a LB and had crazy high marking, tackling and heading stats but his others were rubbish and he was pretty slow and weak too. I'm not expecting them to be like the wonderkids in the game and be over 80 straight out of the youth academy but at the moment frankly it's not worth even having a youth team. I just sign them, send them on loan for a couple of years (although most of them don't get taken so wallow on the sidelines doing nothing) and sell them then use the funds for better players. This is one thing the master league in PES was good at. I say 'was' as I haven't played in since the PS2 days. It was glorious buying a team of young and promising players then after a few years ending up with a world class team.

As for only playing fast players, I don't only pick those with the speedster trait, but I like to have speedy LB,RB, LM, RM and at least one speedy striker. I refuse to play CB's less than 6'1 unless they have max jumping stat and also have a 'minimum' pace stat for the team. The only player in the team allowed speed/acceleration stats <75 is the goalkeeper! That allows them to at least keep up with strikers in a straight foot race. This is for my manager mode team of course. Don't really have that luxury in most squads.

The effect fast players have over technical and strong players is unevenly balanced in the past couple of FIFAs. I'd sign nippy wingers from Barca B and other random Spanish/South Americans who have an overall rating of about 65, but if they are fast as shit and have 80+ for crossing, they end up being the best player on the pitch, and completely unstoppable. Even players like Xavi, Alonso, Scholes etc end up being a bit useless because they are all neither fast nor strong, but have great stats like passing, vision, positioning, and all that, but they lack agility and speed, and often struggle to release the ball quick enough to another player when you've got a SPEEDSTER central midfielder raining down on them with their 99 pace and acceleration stats. That wouldn't happen in real life. Despite those players not being sprinters, they have incredibly quick feet to release passes by drawing the man in, but that doesn't translate well in FIFA, and they just end up being slow, pointless players. If speed was everything like it is in FIFA, Walcott would have a wardrobe full of Ballon d'Ors, but he doesn't. I'd like to see them put a bit more emphasis on other attributes other than speed, where the best passers of the ball are just as effective as the quickest wingers. I think you can try to balance your team in manager mode, but as soon as you go online, everyone just plays a starting XI of sprinters, and you end up having to resort to it yourself so you don't get smashes to bits. I was actually rinsing everyone with Wigan, as it would match you up with a team of similar rating, and Wigan had a ridiculous amount of sprinters. Especially Albert Crusat. Now they don't, since they've lost Rodellega and Moses.

I find using ladz like Xavi, Scholesey etc really easy. Their positional ability translates reasonably well, and it's easy enough to precision dribble past a rabid speedster if they're charging in at you.

Totally agree about player development. I think player ratings at the end of matches have to be fairer, and players with high match ratings, who are in form, should develop quicker. That way you can get a lad out of your academy who is good, but then sets the world alight with his mad skillz and is up to a good 85 by 18 or so. Like a Wonderkid . As I said though, form will play a big part. Apparently a players overall stats can range from full to ~-10, depending on their form and mood.

No point comparing FIFA to FM, both have their merits and are completely different games. I’m looking forward to both, but I’m a bit more cautious about FIFA these days. I’ve always been a FIFA man, even when all my friends said I was a total gaylord for not playing PES back in college, even though I always thought that game looked and played like a glorified Virtua Striker. FIFA got written off as second best for a long time alongside PES, and for some of that time it definitely was, but I think it’s been top dog since FIFA 06, but a lot of PES abandoners didn’t seem to realise FIFA was the king until around FIFA 10. Sucks that they missed out on FIFA 08, also known as SCORE VOLLEYS FROM ANYWHERE 2008 which was ridiculous fun. I think the leaps forward the game took between 06 and 10 were huge, but since then it’s been much more gradual, and other that a couple of little tweaks here and there, the last 2 have felt like updates rather than £40 worth of new game. I really didn’t play 11 and 12 much as a result. Hopefully this one will have a bit more to it to make me want to play it more.

I agree with Murrr about Manager Mode. I would like it to be more of a realistic manager mode, but since it’s so clumpy and horrible to navigate, either simplify it, or get rid.

I’ll still buy it. I’ve had every FIFA (excluding FIFA 64 on the Nintendo) since FIFA International Soccer on the Megadrive. What happened to indoor 5 a side from 97 and 98? Bring it back. I don’t wanna buy the dreadful FIFA Street for that mode.

Indoor five-a-side on 97 was incredible. Had it on the PC. Most annoying thing about that game was that your 'shoot' button was the same as 'slide tackle' which meant that if there was a scramble in the box you more often than not ended up taking out the 'keeper once the ball was in his hands and getting sent off.

Used to always be able to score from kick-off too, if you got into the right section of the grass lines on the pitch and shot before leaving the centre circle. HOOF.