aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Not sure there's room for two out-and-out strikers in international football nowadays. You really need to match teams in the middle of the field - and that usually means playing three in there, with at least one sitting, but more often than not two to dictate the tempo of games (in the same way that Barry/Toure did for Man City last season or Carrick/Scholes at United).

Guest Gladstone

Why does nobody go for 3-5-2 these days though? I don't understand why you need a back 4 if playing against a lone striker. I would go for it with 3-5-2 - compact hard as fuck defence, two fast as fuck (and good) wingbacks, three in the centre of midfield to boss the middle of the park and two up top so that you don't have an isolated frontman.

Why does nobody go for 3-5-2 these days though? I don't understand why you need a back 4 if playing against a lone striker. I would go for it with 3-5-2 - compact hard as fuck defence, two fast as fuck (and good) wingbacks, three in the centre of midfield to boss the middle of the park and two up top so that you don't have an isolated frontman.

3-5-2 and back 3 in general have made a bit of a comeback lately.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/feb/22/napoli-italy-back-three-resurgent

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/dec/13/the-question-3-1-4-2-formation-rise

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/04/01/juventus-3-0-napoli-3-5-2-v-3-4-3/

Guest Gladstone

I have honestly been advocating the use of 3-5-2 since I was about 16/17 or even earlier than that (I'm 30 now). Martin O'Neill used to line up Celtic in a 3-5-2 formation with 3 beasting centre backs which was when I first thought about the formation, but I also played as a wingback in a 3-5-2 formation for Dyce Boys Club when I was 17 and it was awesome. By far the best footballing team I've ever played for - everyone got on the ball all the time.

I've been arguing the case at my amateur team for about 10 years now - our manager insists on playing 3-4-3 because opposition teams tend to play 4-4-2, but you have to have a team full of very good players for 3-4-3 to work and guys that work extremely hard. Our team tends to get over-run in midfield because as is normally the case, the opposition joins the attack when coming forward and when you tell guys at amateur level that they are playing as strikers they tend to think that means it's okay to stand at the halfway line or beyond for the entire game...

Anyway - that's at shitty amateur level, but I definitely think there is something in lining up with 3 big centre backs (if they can play a bit, then all the better) and then a 5 man midfield with two wing backs (so it switches to 5-3-2) when on the back foot and you've got two guys up top, which will also have the desired effect of the opposition leaving 3 players back when they are attacking.

I'd breeze the Euros if I was England manager.

Clichy will be laughing at Evra while wearing his league winner's medal. That'll start a fight that throws the entire French squad into disarray. This will come to a head during their first match of the tournament when Mexes thinks Ribery is giving him the stink eye for a poor pass upfield (he isn't, that's just his face). Ribery's natural reaction to that is to believe that the whole team is against him and decides to lob his own goalkeeper from the half way line. England win 1-0.

A MAN CAN DREAM, OK.

Well said by my Polish friend:

Since, I consider myself a football fun who likes the idea that the Euro Cup takes place in Poland and Ukraine I feel obliged to criticise BBC for its ridicolous campaign and some euro deputies for boycotting games in Ukraine. When it comes to BBC, they are certainly right that some visitors can experience racism, but as far as I am concerned those things can happen anywhere in Europe. We don't ...have to look far, let me just remind you the case of John Terry (the captain of the English national team), who was accussed of racially abusing another player, Anton Ferdinand. In point of fact, you can hear racist chants in any European stadium; England, Italy, Spain, Germany.

Its also quite interesting with the boycott of games in Ukraine, especially by the Germans politicians, includind the president. Again, they are certainly right about Julia Timoshenko, and breaking human rights by the Ukrainian authorities. But I would like to ask why they didn't boycott Olympic Games in China? And we will se if they will be so willing to boycott next Olympic Games in Russia? Cause, if I remember correctlt those two states, are being constatnky accused of breaking human rights.

Just to finish and release my frustration,

FUCK POLITICS and enjoy the games!!!

• Upvote 2

Well said by my Polish friend:

Since, I consider myself a football fun who likes the idea that the Euro Cup takes place in Poland and Ukraine I feel obliged to criticise BBC for its ridicolous campaign and some euro deputies for boycotting games in Ukraine. When it comes to BBC, they are certainly right that some visitors can experience racism, but as far as I am concerned those things can happen anywhere in Europe. We don't ...have to look far, let me just remind you the case of John Terry (the captain of the English national team), who was accussed of racially abusing another player, Anton Ferdinand. In point of fact, you can hear racist chants in any European stadium; England, Italy, Spain, Germany.

Its also quite interesting with the boycott of games in Ukraine, especially by the Germans politicians, includind the president. Again, they are certainly right about Julia Timoshenko, and breaking human rights by the Ukrainian authorities. But I would like to ask why they didn't boycott Olympic Games in China? And we will se if they will be so willing to boycott next Olympic Games in Russia? Cause, if I remember correctlt those two states, are being constatnky accused of breaking human rights.

Just to finish and release my frustration,

FUCK POLITICS and enjoy the games!!!

Very very well said!

Guest Gladstone
Shame, he was a great player for us. I wonder how much Rotheram are paying him a week? Surely, to God, less than he was on at Aberdeen?!

I doubt it - why would he move there for less money??