aberdeen-music

D.I.Y Guitar gear

Flights

Cheers! Just need it wired up and It's ready to go. :D

I've managed to persuade my old man to lend a hand making a couple of pedal boards. I'll keep you posted with how I get on. I ordered wood for them today and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. Winner. I'll make a few so if anyone wants a low cost board give me a shout!

I'll buy your tele aff ye.

I'm not planning on selling my tele tbh. Although 200 buck will sway me ;)

Where'd you get the wood?

#penisjoke

Seriously though.. I need some decent, ideally cheap timber for a project.

xx

I'm quite lucky and live near quite close to an old fashioned saw mill and managed to get a cheeky deal on some from the guy that works there. You could easily get some from the likes of B&Q really cheap. Watch out for the stupidly cheap stuff though. It will be more hassle than it's worth!

Just out of interest what are you planning on making?

I'm not planning on selling my tele tbh. Although 200 buck will sway me ;)

I'm quite lucky and live near quite close to an old fashioned saw mill and managed to get a cheeky deal on some from the guy that works there. You could easily get some from the likes of B&Q really cheap. Watch out for the stupidly cheap stuff though. It will be more hassle than it's worth!

Just out of interest what are you planning on making?

Hoping to make a bass from scratch. Then a guitar, too. What sawmill, just out of curiosity?

xx

Auchanland Saw mill. It's out in the middle of nowhere. It's actually on the farm estate where I used to live. coolstorybro/. It's owned by this slightly mad old guy. His working hours are never fixed, I think he just works when he wants money to spend in the pub. He's got some lovely looking pine at the moment though. Me and my Dad have ordered a job lot which should be ready today :D I'm getting a wee bit out the lot for pedal boards and my Dad plans on using the rest for various joinery projects.

I'd quite like to take a bash on making a guitar from scratch myself. You going to make a bass copy from a plan or freestyle it?

Auchanland Saw mill. It's out in the middle of nowhere. It's actually on the farm estate where I used to live. coolstorybro/. It's owned by this slightly mad old guy. His working hours are never fixed, I think he just works when he wants money to spend in the pub. He's got some lovely looking pine at the moment though. Me and my Dad have ordered a job lot which should be ready today :D I'm getting a wee bit out the lot for pedal boards and my Dad plans on using the rest for various joinery projects.

I'd quite like to take a bash on making a guitar from scratch myself. You going to make a bass copy from a plan or freestyle it?

Bit of both. Have a few ideas for body shapes to play with but it's gonna be a tweaked version of something existing. Probably an ibanez-type shape as they are usually pretty interesting. Pup placement etc and will all be taken straight from existing. Gonna have a bucker in the bridge and a p-pup in the middle I think. Or maybe two buckers like a G&L. The neck willl be troublesome as if it's baws then it's a useless guitar, so that'll all be from templates.

If you're up for splitting a job-lot of nice timber and can get a decent deal from the guy I'd be happy to pitch in with you. I'm not too far from Craigevar timber but have never got round to going round to chat to them!

xx

Bit of both. Have a few ideas for body shapes to play with but it's gonna be a tweaked version of something existing. Probably an ibanez-type shape as they are usually pretty interesting. Pup placement etc and will all be taken straight from existing. Gonna have a bucker in the bridge and a p-pup in the middle I think. Or maybe two buckers like a G&L. The neck willl be troublesome as if it's baws then it's a useless guitar, so that'll all be from templates.

If you're up for splitting a job-lot of nice timber and can get a decent deal from the guy I'd be happy to pitch in with you. I'm not too far from Craigevar timber but have never got round to going round to chat to them!

xx

Sweet! Sounds like it will be a looker! I'm tempted to take a punt at making one of those Telemasters. The neck is what puts me off a wee bit tbh. First time round I might just buy a neck from Allparts or the like. Just concentrate on the body until I'm more confident.

I'll have a word with Charlie about getting another job lot when I pop round hopefully tonight.

I bloody love DIY.

Sweet! Sounds like it will be a looker! I'm tempted to take a punt at making one of those Telemasters. The neck is what puts me off a wee bit tbh. First time round I might just buy a neck from Allparts or the like. Just concentrate on the body until I'm more confident.

I'll have a word with Charlie about getting another job lot when I pop round hopefully tonight.

I bloody love DIY.

I was worried about the neck-making but I figure worst case I could buy a good fingerboard and it'd come out half-decent even on a pretty crappy neck.

xx

It's the bit that's most likely to go arse-about-tits unless you have really good equipment. Might add to the price but it'll add more to the quality.

xx

With me it's a given that I'll make an arse of it.

I'm tempted to give making a lapsteel a punt as well. They seem a little less complicated to build than a whole guitar.