aberdeen-music

Punk: US vs UK

Jaaakkkeee

For me, they go in this order:

Insomniac > Kerplunk > Dookie > Smoothed Out Slappy Hours > Nimrod > Warning > Uninterrupted complete and utter silence > American Idiot >>>> That new one, with that god awful 'Know Your Enemy' track.

Isn't the "Foxboro Hottubs" album the record they abandoned before American Idiot came out? if so, probably for the best. Awful record.

I'm not sure why I'm that bothered though. Green Day are ok. Insomniac is a reasonable record, but probably wouldn't even make it into my top 20 punk rock records.

Wake me up when september ends is very possibly the biggest musical atrocity ever committed. With that awful makes you cringe video. I hope I never have to hear it ever again. I've not heard American Idiot but for that song alone I completely hate it.

All the albums before it are at least decent and a couple very good.

Good Thread.

Read through it all and probably agree with most of what plinth said in his longish post a couple of pages back.

Strange in a 10 page thread on punk that there is no mention of bands such as Stranglers, Damned, Buzzcocks, The Saints, but Tom Robinson was hailed as a good old punk because he was openly gay...... FFS!

Listening to some Hank 111 at the moment, I think his stuff is classed as HellBilly, but it is just a country variation of punk, or is it?

I quite liked Green Day around the time of 'Dookie' and still like some of the songs but I lost interest after 'Insomniac'. I used to have all the albums up to that but think I punted them. Maybe still got 'Dookie'.

Best album from that sort of period for me was 'Smash' by Offspring, great tunes.

Car listening at the moment is 'The Best of British £ Notes' by John Lydon, great compilation that shows despite his high twat levels these days he has been involved in some fantastic music. 'World Destruction' with Afrika Bambattaa = rock/rap crossover way ahead of Beastie Boys/ Run DMC...and it's a helluva great tune...

To a lot of people they sold out when they released Dookie. Slappy and Kerplunk are great records. Insomniac was more bratty. But in my eyes it's the pinnacle of everything they've done. All the political rants on American Idiot are fake and un-substantiated. That whole record is just one big piece of conflicting garbage. I liked their heavier (I use that word loosely) sound. Although I liked what they tried to do with Warning. To be fair - that band died in 2000. Probably still great live (if they played nothing but old stuff) but as far as paying £45 to go see them now, compared to the £7 you'd have paid 15 years ago when they were playing decent songs that actually meant something? No. Forget it. Add the fact that if you went to see them now it'd be a show in an arena of screaming teenage bulds - No chance. If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

• Upvote 1

The one and only time I've seen Green Day, they made instrumental interludes last forever and ever whilst Billie Joe yells "Everybody say weeeeeyooooo" and other such nonsensical noises over the top of the Longview bassline. What a right massive sack of pointless shit. It was on the Warning tour too, back when they were still quite a credible bunch of people.

• Upvote 1

The one and only time I've seen Green Day, they made instrumental interludes last forever and ever whilst Billie Joe yells "Everybody say weeeeeyooooo" and other such nonsensical noises over the top of the Longview bassline. What a right massive sack of pointless shit. It was on the Warning tour too, back when they were still quite a credible bunch of people.

I can't be arsed with bands who have short songs but string them out live without adding any additional content. People like you cos your songs are short. don't play the chords for the verse for an extra three minutes at the end while you deliver a pish monologue. You've just wasted the space for another song.