aberdeen-music

Punk: US vs UK

Jaaakkkeee

Nah nobody said it here but it's a rule that punk breeds snobbery.

I remember an old band I was in where the singer was ADAMANT that the only way to be "punk" was to never, ever use the term punk. If you tried to be punk, you were a poser.

I pointed out that by his logic, the only people who aren't punks are people who listen to and make punk music. He said they're all sellouts.

He's a crack addict now. I fucking hope he dies.

xx

• Upvote 1

I wasnt digging at anyone, just my experiences through the years of being in a pop punk band, you were looked down on by those in hc punk bands, or black flag fans as apparently you were just selling out "punk". It was bullshit then, and its bullshit now. I remember playing with a crusty punk band from Aberdeen, they have been around for years, cant remember their name now, we were asked to play for an anniversary of theirs in Drummonds, worst gig we ever played, place was heaving, but none of them cared for our brand of punk, to the point we didnt even get a clap inbetween songs, just folk standing with their back to stage, heard constant murmurings of "stupid sell out kids" and stuff like that all night from the old timers their to see the main band, it just stunk of people being elitest about their punk music.

• Upvote 1

Certainly couldn't accuse The Clash of this. Personally I don't really care if a band was playing on top of the pops or in a sewer full of shit, I like The Clash's music more than any other band I've heard described as punk.

The Clash are an interesting example - their first records were "punk" in that they fit the UK77 mould, but London Calling era they became hugely influenced by 80's pop and it shows. The Clash IMHO were either a punk influenced pop band in their later career, or a pop influenced punk band. The label doesn't matter though, they are one of the best bands ever. Punk or otherwise.

xx

Certainly couldn't accuse The Clash of this. Personally I don't really care if a band was playing on top of the pops or in a sewer full of shit, I like The Clash's music more than any other band I've heard described as punk.

I'm not strictly bashing them for being popular, but I'm saying I believe the American punk bands did it, and still do it, with more conviction because of how devoted they were to it, and as a result, it was a massive movement which evolved at a ridiculous rate. Other than Crass, I can't think of many UK bands who put themselves through what some of the American punk rock bands did, for the sake of playing their music as much as possible. In my opinion, punk in the UK that was around at that time was a bit half arsed in comparison. Not the songwriting, but the way they conducted themselves and put themselves out there. Punk is now built on DIY ethics, and that's more thanks to bands like Black Flag than it is The Clash.

• Upvote 1

I wasnt digging at anyone, just my experiences through the years of being in a pop punk band, you were looked down on by those in hc punk bands, or black flag fans as apparently you were just selling out "punk". It was bullshit then, and its bullshit now. I remember playing with a crusty punk band from Aberdeen, they have been around for years, cant remember their name now, we were asked to play for an anniversary of theirs in Drummonds, worst gig we ever played, place was heaving, but none of them cared for our brand of punk, to the point we didnt even get a clap inbetween songs, just folk standing with their back to stage, heard constant murmurings of "stupid sell out kids" and stuff like that all night from the old timers their to see the main band, it just stunk of people being elitest about their punk music.

Your life sounds like the Nothing Nice To Say comic. I wish my life was like that too.

TRU PUNX

SELLOUTZ!

I'm not strictly bashing them for being popular, but I'm saying I believe the American punk bands did it, and still do it, with more conviction because of how devoted they were to it, and as a result, it was a massive movement which evolved at a ridiculous rate. Other than Crass, I can't think of many UK bands who put themselves through what some of the American punk rock bands did, for the sake of playing their music as much as possible. In my opinion, punk in the UK that was around at that time was a bit half arsed in comparison. Not the songwriting, but the way they conducted themselves and put themselves out there. Punk is now built on DIY ethics, and that's more thanks to bands like Black Flag than it is The Clash.

Yeah that may all be true, but I don't really care about it. The music could be written by men in suits sitting in an office. If I like it more, I like it more.

Of course others may think differently and your argument is probably very valid in terms of discussing punk ethic and values etc etc. It jsut doesn't interest me much.

That was my only real experience of it in Aberdeen, but it was a horrible night, fair enough tho one of the guys from the main band did apologise to us and admitted they shouldnt have asked us to play. The really annoying thing was, we fucking rocked that night! Its not often we came away from a Point gig thinking we had played well, and the one night we do we were hated by the crowd, you just cant fucking win in a band can you!!

Pop punk was always looked down as being a sell out brand of music, mostly because the people in the bands became rich, where as your average black flag cover band was touring America in a run down van eating dog food wrapped in old bread. I hate musical snobbery in any manor, but i think it was worse in punk music.

Anyway im derailing the thread with my shit stories, sorry!!

This thread is great. To be punk you have to own one pair of pants and live under a bridge and you need to play a million shows a week. Do that or you're doing it wrong.

Shite. The only thing that matters is this - when you see footage of Jones, Strummer and Simonon striding to the mic in unison and smashing their way through Train in Vain, you've seen what awesome looks like.

• Upvote 3

This thread is great. To be punk you have to own one pair of pants and live under a bridge and you need to play a million shows a week. Do that or you're doing it wrong.

Don't think I ever said that, or suggested as such. I just think the way the American's devoted themselves to it is the reason why it evolved magnificently, unlike the UK punk movement which either fizzled out or stood still.

Don't think I ever said that, or suggested as such. I just think the way the American's devoted themselves to it is the reason why it evolved magnificently, unlike the UK punk movement which either fizzled out or stood still.

You said that stuff, so don't lie. Unless you think being efficient with the truth makes you more punk.

I absolutely get what Soda is saying. Punk has been described in a million ways but the "fuck the man, DIY!" ethic is the only common denominator and the US bands pioneered that. The Clash and the Sex Pistols influenced the sound and attitude of punk music but the US contributed more in terms of ethic which IMHO is what makes punk so fundamentally different from any other musical style.

xx

Guest davetherave

I'm going to sound like a grumpy old fart, but some of us old enough to be pogoing in the late 70s would probably say that punk was about attitude, going against the system, being different, etc. Thatchers Britain had a lot to do with the music of the time, from punk songs like The Clash - White Riot, to opposite ends of the spectrum with UB40 singing "One in Ten". The music had a message, it reflected what many of us pissed off 17 year old teenagers were feeling at the time. I'm not sure if todays "punk" music has the same gritty, "up yours", message to it. Here we are 30 odd years later and the Tories are back in power, unemployment rising, recession, etc, sometimes life is one big episode of Deja Vu, rant, rant, :mad:;)

• Upvote 3