aberdeen-music

What CD's/Music DVD's you bought recently?

Mouse

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week I've mainly been buying:

Le Reno Amps album

Like Wow - Burn' date=' World, Burn

Jason Trachtenburg - Revolutions Per Minute

Fonda 500 - HiFiHair

Meanwhile, Back In Communist Russia - My Elixir, My Poison

and A Tale Of Two Sisters on DVD.[/quote']

I had the pleasure of seeing the Trachtenburg Family play live in Brooklyn a couple of years ago (on a night out with Lach). What a hoot! I heard they're playing now at the Edinburgh Festival for a week.

CDs I've bought of late......

Laura Nyro ' Spread your wings and fly'

Greg Weeks 'Awake like sleep'

Black Forest Black Sea 'Radiant Symmetry'

others I've acquired...

Phosphene with Lol Coxhill and Raymond MacDonald 'January 04'

Tanakh 'Dieu Deuil'

Iron & Wine 'Our endless numbered days'

I had the pleasure of seeing the Trachtenburg Family play live in Brooklyn a couple of years ago (on a night out with Lach). What a hoot! I heard they're playing now at the Edinburgh Festival for a week.

Yeah, off to see them in Glasgow at King Tut's this Sunday. Well looking forward to it, like, loving the Volume 1 album. There's a long interview with Jason in the most recent Anti-Up magazine, too. Stonking stuph.

Loving the Like Wow stuff, as well - Been on a mission to get as much Thomas Truax material since I saw him at Truck Fest.

My purchases today in One Up:

Jerry Cantrell: Boggy Depot (On just now... seems as good as Alice In Chains. No shock there then...)

Boggy Depot is pretty good though I wouldn't say it's as good as anything AIC did. There are some really good tracks though. Have you heard Degredation Trip Volumes 1&2 Double CD? It's darker then Boggy Depot with out being overly heavy. A really great double album. I wouldn't bother with the single CD version as you'd be missing out on a lot.

You won't be dissapointed - gimme suicide rock n'roll!

I've heard 'Rock 'n' Roll can rescue the world' and it's my new favourite song by a mile, also heard the BBC radio thing they did with 'Suicidal Rock 'n' Roll', topped off with a performance on wednesday they're fairly rocking up my love-list. The guitarist even gave me one of his beers

:gringo:

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Most recent noise purchase was the Agathocles/Jan Ag and the Gajna split 7", and what a beaut it is. One Ag song from 1989, only recently unearthed and unavailable anywhere else, a raw as fuck rehearsal version of a song called "Busted". The Gajna amaze as always, 5 songs of insane, fuzzed-out distortion paying homage to classic mid-80's Japanese HC such as Coward, Swankys, Gai and Confuse. $4 postpaid from:

Jan Frederickx

Asberg 8

2400 Mol

Belgium.

Fucking get it.

ive not bought any CDs since i was in america. i got alkaline trio - good mourning and no doubt - the beacon street collection. ive been getting copies as of late ,ive got five finger discount something else that ive still not listened to i dont think and i awaiting money so i can get some more music.

recent purchases.....

Snow Patrol - Final Straw

(im in love with this album, its been on repeat on my winamp for about a month now)

Best Of Both Worlds:Best of Van Halen

(eddie is the master!)

music dvds.....hmm.....Right Here, Right Now - Van Halen live.....'tis incredible stuff.

anyone like Xui Xui? i got a shot of one of their cds from a mate of mine, its pretty cool stuff....i forget the cd's name....

Guest Stripey
Where's the box' date=' the booklet, the extras, the better quality and most of all where is the support for your favourite artists.[/quote']

Yea man cuz when we buy a cd what we really want is a shitty box and a booklet :rolleyes:

Properly encoded high bitrate mp3's have no audible loss in quality.

There are no quality issues when you download dvd iso's which you burn straight to a dvd-r and are exactly the same as the commercial release, sans packaging.

I'd be happy to have all my film/audio stored in a computer, dvd's and cd's take up too much space as it is, without a box and an inlay.

Yea man cuz when we buy a cd what we really want is a shitty box and a booklet :rolleyes:

There are no quality issues when you download dvd iso's which you burn straight to a dvd-r and are exactly the same as the commercial release' date=' sans packaging.

I'd be happy to have all my film/audio stored in a computer, dvd's and cd's take up too much space as it is, without a box and an inlay.[/quote']

It's really odd, but I agree totally with you in principle, but in practise it never seems to work out as expected. I've paid for downloaded music and burnt it to CD and despite getting some quality music for my money I simply don't listen to it as much as I would a CD I bought. Maybe I've been preprogrammed by years of consumerism to only find packaged items desirable.

I'm glad to say the tide is changing since I got an MP3 player in the car. Now all I need is some iPod/clone and it'll make my MP3s seem all the more appealing than CDs.

(EDIT) I also must admit to being a sucker for packaging, it's all the Designer's Republics fault and their PWEI vinyl sleeves. I'm a pop art junky.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

There are no quality issues when you download dvd iso's which you burn straight to a dvd-r and are exactly the same as the commercial release' date=' sans packaging.

I'd be happy to have all my film/audio stored in a computer, dvd's and cd's take up too much space as it is, without a box and an inlay.[/quote']

That's a fair point about taking up space, vinyl is slowly but surely taking over my living room. But, I do like the extra stuff you often get to read when you buy them, and I don't mean just the lyrics and the waste of space that is the "thanks" list. I get all my stuff from writing to bands, distros and the like and there's often some literature with the releases, a nice letter etc., gives it the personal touch, I reckon. Far better than walking into a shop, picking something up and handing over money at a counter. I do get some CD's and DVD's, but I will always love vinyl, I still say some styles of music sound better on that format.

Guest Stripey
That's a fair point about taking up space' date=' vinyl is slowly but surely taking over my living room. But, I do like the extra stuff you often get to read when you buy them, and I don't mean just the lyrics and the waste of space that is the "thanks" list. I get all my stuff from writing to bands, distros and the like and there's often some literature with the releases, a nice letter etc., gives it the personal touch, I reckon. Far better than walking into a shop, picking something up and handing over money at a counter. I do get some CD's and DVD's, but I will always love vinyl, I still say some styles of music sound better on that format.[/quote']

Yeah vinyl is kinda different, I like whitelabels with plain black sleeves and a sticker on them with the release number and the track titles...nice and simple.

Guest Stripey
Can't get much more to the point than that' date=' I like that. I think vinyl will always have a certain special "something" about it.[/quote']

Yeah, unfortunately it will still be like lugging around a crate of bricks, and make you weep when you accidentally scratch/snap/drop burning embers on your favourite rare 12"'s.

It's a love/hate relationship for me really.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Yeah' date=' unfortunately it will still be like lugging around a crate of bricks, and make you weep when you accidentally scratch/snap/drop burning embers on your favourite rare 12"'s.

It's a love/hate relationship for me really.[/quote']

Yeah, years ago, I stupidly used to store vinyl under my dartboard. One day, I got a bounce-out and it landed point-first on a 10" picture disc! I was inconsolable for about a week and the dartboard had to go. Strange thing is, the dart made a big blister mark, but it's worn down over the years and the record is nearly back to normal now.