aberdeen-music

where to find a decent tube amp

EnkaiScreamer

i mean, for example the peavey valveking (i dont want this) but its a perfect example, lower in price range, but apparently they are built to last, yada yada

It's not a perfect example because they are guff. It's cheap for a reason. DSL50's go for around 300 sometimes, if you're lucky.

Really not sure why you are so against saving up for something that will actually suit your needs than just buying the cheapest valve amp possible for the sake of having one. It's mental. You'll realise it's guff and sell it on for less than you bought it, and then you'll be back to square one.

Really not sure why you are so against saving up for something that will actually suit your needs than just buying the cheapest valve amp possible for the sake of having one. It's mental. You'll realise it's guff and sell it on for less than you bought it, and then you'll be back to square one.

because i cant save up anymore money, the highest amount im looking at is 400, at a push, ive heard that you can get a decent DSL for around 300+ which is quite appealing. And i like the sound of the Peavey 6505 112, but im not sure where to look for that, my other guitarist has the 6505 head, and that was about 1050, i wont be using the speaker if i get a combo since i already have a 4x12, but will the tone be affected?

Just get an orange tiny terror head and blast some pedals through it? no?

I got a marshall tsl602 combo on the mental cheap a while ago but that was rare to get it so low. I also only paid 350 for my hot rod deluxe by fender but given your description of what you need I'm presuming that this isn't what you're after.

But if you decide to go down this route fender tube amps are great.

If not save up and buy a Bogner, just saying....

Why can't you save up a little bit more and buy what you want? For example, you'd pick up a perfectly good Marshall head second hand for only a wee bit more. When it comes to your gear, if you buy cheap you will always end up buying twice, honestly.

I bought a second hand Engl head 7 years ago or so, and although it was dear, I've never had to upgrade. I picked up a JCM900 head a few years later as a touring backup and it wasn't much over 350, but the only thing that would make me change my setup now is if I decided I wanted to downsize to a combo.

Save up for the right amp and avoid interminable internet threads about swapping, changing, modding or hunting for alternative gear.

Why can't you save up a little bit more and buy what you want? For example, you'd pick up a perfectly good Marshall head second hand for only a wee bit more. When it comes to your gear, if you buy cheap you will always end up buying twice, honestly.

I bought a second hand Engl head 7 years ago or so, and although it was dear, I've never had to upgrade. I picked up a JCM900 head a few years later as a touring backup and it wasn't much over 350, but the only thing that would make me change my setup now is if I decided I wanted to downsize to a combo.

Save up for the right amp and avoid interminable internet threads about swapping, changing, modding or hunting for alternative gear.

Your Engl is the tits.

• Upvote 1

i wont be using the speaker if i get a combo since i already have a 4x12, but will the tone be affected?

Is it a good 4x12? If it isn't, you should probably save up for a good 4x12 too. Will affect the tone as much as the amplifier will. The speakers the tone comes out of, and what they are housed in is equally as important as the amplifier. A shit cab will make a good amp also sound shit.

im not really keen on the combo aspect though

Why? Easier to transport than a 4x12. Can connect it up to a cab at gigs if a backline is already provided. Will probably be mic'd up anyway. Best of both worlds. a 2x12 is more than enough to play any venue in Aberdeen, unless you're planning on selling out the AECC, then you might need a couple more cones...

Not really sure why you ask for advice. You are incredibly stubborn and just ignore everyone's advice anyway.

I'm blown away by the idea that you can't save up more than a determined amount of money. Open an ISA or something, and don't touch it.

Besides, it's not like a valve amp is like a TV or something. Stuff will inevitably fuck up with it. If you don't want to spend the money now you're going to spend it later.

I find it funny that people are willing to spend loads of money on guitars/pedals/shit they don't need, but when it comes to an amp.. the part that probably has the most defining impact on their sound, they won't spend a lot of money on it.

Good guitar into shit amp still sounds shit.

Shit guitar into a good amp will still sound halfway decent.

Save up the cash and don't be a faggot. I got my 6505 head for 560 second hand. That's almost double your budget, but it's a USA made tube amp that's reliable and loud as fuck. Also has all the gain anyone could ever need. A good 4x12 will also make a difference. If you've got a Behringer cab or something equally shit, don't expect epic results.

I think a lot of people might disagree with my advice but here it is....

Think about what you actually need for the near to distant future. You probably in reality don't need a 4x12" and could get more for your money with a combo i.e Laney VC15, Fender Super Champ: or a small head i.e Blackheart Little Giant, Vox Night Train or Orange Tiny Terror. Are you happy to buy different amps for different styles? Based on what I have read, I'd suggest you are probably after one amp to cover your requirements at this stage. Therefore, I suggest something with a level of flexibility i.e a good clean sound.

Spend a bit of time trying things out. First of all, find something with a clean sound that you are (completely) happy to use. Dirty guitar sounds can be altered with boosts and additional dirt pedals. A lot of people on here have a bit of an aversion to using pedals for hard rock/metal sounds but I personally think it can be a good solution and a lot of pro players do it, including some that have guitar tones that people try to recreate.

Once you've found something with a good basic clean sound that you are happy with, then consider the other features such as dirt channels, reverb, channel switching, effects loops etc. None of these things are 100% necessary but may make your life easier.

Also, remember every amp has a certain 'feel' to it. This might sound strange as you aren't actually touching it to play it, but the way it reacts to your playing will vary between different amps to some extent. This is why I advise trying the amp out in advance. If you really can't try it out then I would advise sticking to something ultra-standard with a good reputation and will probably be easy to sell on if it doesn't fit your needs. I've found the selection of amps at Guitar Guitar in Edinburgh and Glasgow to be particularly good.

I think your budget is workable but will require a level of compromise. I would personally favour compromise on the features and make the clean sound the greatest priority as you can always add reverb and dirt pedals later. With an amp in this price range, I'd guess you were thinking of something that suits your general needs. If you get into a band that plays enough gigs to justify getting something just for that style at the later date, then you should consider getting another amp then.

If you try something out and find something slightly beyond your price range that you really like, then you probably should consider stretching your budget at that point.

ill clear some things up, i ALREADY HAVE a 4x12 cabinet, which is fine, currently i have a 75 watt line 6 head,which , as everyone is aware, is shit. ChrisB has offered me a nice DSL 50 with modded E34L tubes, thank you all for your *kind* advice, but i think Chris might have just answered this post with something more than relevant.

Thanks to those of you who were helpful

You could probably get a really good Marshall second hand if you save up a measly 100 quid more.
It's not a perfect example because they are guff. It's cheap for a reason. DSL50's go for around 300 sometimes, if you're lucky.

ill clear some things up, i ALREADY HAVE a 4x12 cabinet, which is fine, currently i have a 75 watt line 6 head,which , as everyone is aware, is shit. ChrisB has offered me a nice DSL 50 with modded E34L tubes, thank you all for your *kind* advice, but i think Chris might have just answered this post with something more than relevant.

Thanks to those of you who were helpful

You're an insufferable idiot.

• Upvote 1