aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Still wack though. Happened to Roberto Carlos last season, and Eto's had a bit of it too. Racism is pretty out of control in Russia. Watched a documentary about racism in Russia (it touched on football, but wasn't based solely on it) and it was brutal as fuck. If I was a black player, I'd probably choose a country where I would feel safest, and where there's less chance of being abused. Russia would be somewhere near the bottom of the list.

Shortly afterwards, officials from Russia's Football Union (RFU) denied the actions had racial undertones.

"In Russia 'to get a banana' means 'to fail a test somewhere'," said then director general Alexei Sorokin.

Amazing the Russian Football Union deny anything wrong happened. Oh yeah the world cup will be great there if they don't even admit a black guy having a banana thrown at him is racist! Nice one Blatter.

Still wack though. Happened to Roberto Carlos last season, and Eto's had a bit of it too. Racism is pretty out of control in Russia. Watched a documentary about racism in Russia (it touched on football, but wasn't based solely on it) and it was brutal as fuck. If I was a black player, I'd probably choose a country where I would feel safest, and where there's less chance of being abused. Russia would be somewhere near the bottom of the list.

Roberto Carlos, if I remember correctly, walked off the pitch and refused to play after the incident last season. Absolutely, 100% the best thing to do in that situation, imo. I take a hardline stance and think the referee should be allowed to call games off when this things happen, with the points awarded to the victim's team.

Russia is absolutely crazy, I can see why players of certain descents can be reluctant to play there. I've heard terrible things about sections of Zenit St. Petersburg's support, which is a shame because I want to like their team.

But there's still a Scottish Cup and SPL title on the cards, and we HAVE been tonking other teams on a regular basis.

I don't understand what more, apart from admittedly, a Scottish League Cup, anyone can ask of him. He's passionate about Celtic, he gets money to buy players (but he doesn't, some would argue, spend "big" for a team Celtic's size, and the players he's bought have been generally excellent), and he's won the majority of games. I admit he's at best, a divisive character, but I genuinely think people are so willing to doubt his managerial abilities because he's a controversial chap. He hasn't had the chance to "prove himself" at another/bigger/whatever club and apart from the final, he's done a pretty great job, I think.

Obviously I'm biased but I think because he rubs people up the wrong way, he's unfairly analysed as a manager.

He's been competing in a two-team league, now he's competing in a one-team league. With the number of players he's been able to bring in he should've won the league last season as well, and, after his awful post-match comments this week, it looks like he's blind to his own flaws. It's impossible to say that an Old Firm manager who's done nothing elsewhere is a great manager, especially when, in a month's time, his greatest achievement will be winning a domestic title with an absolutely gigantic squad in a league with no competition.

I'm not discrediting his ability because I think he's one of the worst bastards in football: I genuinely think there is absolutely nothing to suggest that he's anything more than a mediocre manager. Similar to what you've said, I think that Celtic fans greatly overstate his ability because of the chest-beating, backs-against-the-wall mentality he tries to instil.

Guest Gladstone
He's been competing in a two-team league, now he's competing in a one-team league. With the number of players he's been able to bring in he should've won the league last season as well, and, after his awful post-match comments this week, it looks like he's blind to his own flaws. It's impossible to say that an Old Firm manager who's done nothing elsewhere is a great manager, especially when, in a month's time, his greatest achievement will be winning a domestic title with an absolutely gigantic squad in a league with no competition.

I'm not discrediting his ability because I think he's one of the worst bastards in football: I genuinely think there is absolutely nothing to suggest that he's anything more than a mediocre manager. Similar to what you've said, I think that Celtic fans greatly overstate his ability because of the chest-beating, backs-against-the-wall mentality he tries to instil.

I'm not really sure that Celtic fans (well not all Celtic fans anyway) overstate Lennon's ability. Most Celtic fans didn't want him in charge to start with and were calling for him to have someone like O'Neill as a mentor, then for him to go when we were so far adrift of Rangers. Those guys have just gone quiet now because Rangers have completely imploded and it's difficult to call for a manager to be sacked on the back of losing 2 games and drawing 1 in 26 matches in all competitions (I think that's the stat, it's pretty close to that anyway).

I don't think he's a great manager and I don't think many Celtic fans would claim that. He's got a decent record at Celtic so far and is doing well based on the fact he's hugely inexperienced. Yes he has far more money than any other club in the SPL, so he should, in theory, be winning everything but teams lose football matches. The best teams in a country can lose cup finals or one-off games and it happens all the time, so to say that Lennon is shit because Celtic don't win every single game 8-0 is a bit harsh (I know you didn't say that - you said there's nothing to suggest he's anything more than mediocre, which is fair enough really).

Fuck knows if he'd be any good at any other club in the SPL or any other league for that matter. But he might be. In the same way as he might be shit if he went somewhere else. He's still learning though. That was my main point. I should have just deleted the rest of this post and said "he's still learning" - that would have about summed it up!

I'm not really sure that Celtic fans (well not all Celtic fans anyway) overstate Lennon's ability. Most Celtic fans didn't want him in charge to start with and were calling for him to have someone like O'Neill as a mentor, then for him to go when we were so far adrift of Rangers. Those guys have just gone quiet now because Rangers have completely imploded and it's difficult to call for a manager to be sacked on the back of losing 2 games and drawing 1 in 26 matches in all competitions (I think that's the stat, it's pretty close to that anyway).

I don't think he's a great manager and I don't think many Celtic fans would claim that. He's got a decent record at Celtic so far and is doing well based on the fact he's hugely inexperienced. Yes he has far more money than any other club in the SPL, so he should, in theory, be winning everything but teams lose football matches. The best teams in a country can lose cup finals or one-off games and it happens all the time, so to say that Lennon is shit because Celtic don't win every single game 8-0 is a bit harsh (I know you didn't say that - you said there's nothing to suggest he's anything more than mediocre, which is fair enough really).

Fuck knows if he'd be any good at any other club in the SPL or any other league for that matter. But he might be. In the same way as he might be shit if he went somewhere else. He's still learning though. That was my main point. I should have just deleted the rest of this post and said "he's still learning" - that would have about summed it up!

Yes, I agree with the vast majority of this. You hit the nail on the head. He might turn out to be a fantastic manager when he's been properly tested, but he hasn't been tested at all yet and the majority of praise he gets is unjustified.

Guest Gladstone

So, Muamba has been improving since Saturday. Great news. Very early days, but hopefully he'll continue to improve and maybe even return to football one day.

I've got to be honest, I hadn't even heard of him before Saturday, but the news of him collapsing hit me quite hard and he's probably now my favourite player (and I haven't even seen him play!), which is pretty weird. I might even start to support Bolton.

Kind of an odd thing to say, Glads. Lennon4Bolton once Coyle gets his P45?

I've always thought Muamba was/is pretty pish to be honest. Flashes of a good player but inconsistent and makes too many mistakes.

Also there was that one time he fresh-air swiped a shot even though he was going to get nowhere near the ball and Bolton lost a goal on the counter. That was ace and awful at the same time.

I always thought he was pretty decent, came through the Arsenal youth but wasn't good enough for the first team. He just plays one of those roles where you dont notice them unless they are doing something bad or have masses of hype (Scott Parker). Like the season Parker was at West Ham when they went down, he got player of the year from writers despite being in a role that really doesn't help a bad team win.

Muamba has represented the england youth teams right up to under 21s loads. I've never actually seen someone with so many caps at under 21 level. Weird.

Soccer AM isn't funny so he might like it. Apparently he's been a dick to the guardian journos who go on football weekly.

He often comes across as a self-important, condescending bastard on podcasts and other broadcasts but he knows fucking loads about football so I don't really care.

I'm surprised so many folk hadn't heard of him before his heart attack.

For some reason I seem to be better at retaining the names of footballers, and their respective clubs more than I do with actual information that could benefit me in real life, like telephone numbers and my girlfriends name/birthday/eye colour. I reckon I could name a realistic starting 11 and a set of subs for every team in the Premier League through religiously watching MOTD and a buttload of Football Manager/FIFA.

• Upvote 3

I'm surprised so many folk hadn't heard of him before his heart attack.

For some reason I seem to be better at retaining the names of footballers, and their respective clubs more than I do with actual information that could benefit me in real life, like telephone numbers and my girlfriends name/birthday/eye colour. I reckon I could name a realistic starting 11 and a set of subs for every team in the Premier League through religiously watching MOTD and a buttload of Football Manager/FIFA.

FIFA has told me about loads of players before they hit the "big time".