aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Scott McDonald is knacked, possibly out for the season, so we're left with Marvin Emnes (got off to a great start in August but has cooled off recently), Lukas Jutkiewicz (recent signing from Coventry - looks handy) and Curtis Main (19 year old signed from Darlington in the summer who hadn't played in the first team until a couple of weeks ago - unknown quantity).

Ah, not great. I remember Jutkiewicz from his days at Motherwell as presumably do we all, fairly tidy player but not sure if he's capable of brining in all the goals for Middlesbrough by himself. Heh.

I forgot about Bart Obeche. I forgot about him because he hasn't really done anything worth remembering. He started in the one game I've managed to go to since moving to Aberdeen - on New Year's Eve against Peterborough. Did a good job of pressuring defenders, holding up the ball when he got it and bringing the midfield into play but looked clueless in the 18 yard box.

Despite my (unwarranted) comments earlier in the thread about the guy, i dont see the problem, he has so far been Rangers best player in almost every game he has played, including against us, the fans seem to like him and what he brings and so far the move has been a success for him. He was never an Aberdeen fan, or really an Aberdeen player, he was a Jimmy Calderwood player, he stayed here because he liked Jimmy, not the club, as soon as Jimmy left he wanted out but we wouldnt let him leave. As much as it annoys me we didnt see this form, fair play to him, he is showing finally he has the ability, time will tell if he has the consistency required.

I think we have to be realistic about players not from Aberdeen being "Aberdeen fans"! This sort of loyalty doesn't really exist beyond the stock answer "I always look out for their results" when a player moves on and is then interviewed by the EE. They're all mercenaries, except Darren Mackie and a few others. Anyway, Aluko is now a hun, has been one of their better players, probably enjoying his football more than ever and is loved by their fans. You can't really blame him.

EDIT: I missed the #Nosurrender# part of this story. He's the cunt of cunts and I hope he dies.

He can if they play against Portland, yes.

It seems that Mowbray is clearing out the players he sold to us when Strachan was our manager and he was at Celtic. Flood and Killen went in the summer while McManus is away on loan to Bristol City having failed to get near the first team in the last few months. With Robson leaving all that'll be left from that group of Celtic imports is Scott McDonald and I get the impression that he's only been kept around for this long because we're desperately short of options up front.

Remember you signed Lee Miller when he had 6 months left on his contract for £500K or something.

LOL

• Upvote 1

Spurs big spending over the last 5 seasons is only just starting to pay off.

Where do you keep getting this nonsense from? Spurs average net spend is just over £14m a season in the last 5 years (we've recouped nearly £170m against £240m spent). In fact in the last two years we've hardly spent anything in comparison to other clubs. Overall Aston Villa have only spent a few million less than us over the last 5 years.

Where do you keep getting this nonsense from? Spurs average net spend is just over £14m a season in the last 5 years (we've recouped nearly £170m against £240m spent). In fact in the last two years we've hardly spent anything in comparison to other clubs. Overall Aston Villa have only spent a few million less than us over the last 5 years.

The figure looks better now as you made a net 27 million this summer.

In previous seasons you've spent 10/11 - 18.5mill 09/10 - 32mill 08/09 - 87.2mill 07/08 - 48.7mill 06/07 - 48.9mill. WIth a net loss of over 100million on player sales.

I would consider that big spending. Considering you only managed to get top 4 once out of it.

Oh and Hazard has been blabbing about his tranfer again. Spurs on Monday, Madrid on Thursday, Arsenal on Friday. Who knows where he'll go, I'd be pretty annoyed if he was this distracted and I was managing Lille though!

Hazard said: "There are several clubs that interest me in England and Arsenal is really a part.

"Of course, it's always more fun when it's the football is beautiful.

"In addition, at Arsenal, there is a French coach and French players, as well as my compatriot Thomas Vermaelen."

The figure looks better now as you made a net 27 million this summer.

In previous seasons you've spent 10/11 - 18.5mill 09/10 - 32mill 08/09 - 87.2mill 07/08 - 48.7mill 06/07 - 48.9mill. WIth a net loss of over 100million on player sales.

I would consider that big spending. Considering you only managed to get top 4 once out of it.

The net loss (on transfers) is closer to £70m, as i would definitely include this season in the last five years, which over 5 years isn't that much or significantly more than most EPL teams (Arsenal being an exception of course).

The net loss (on transfers) is closer to £70m, as i would definitely include this season in the last five years, which over 5 years isn't that much or significantly more than most EPL teams (Arsenal being an exception of course).

Which was the context I was using it in... I'm not claiming you're buying your way up the table or anything I was just making the point that whilst other teams are spending money to improve their team (as well as selling to fund moves). Arsenal aren't doing too bad seeing as their figure for the last 5 years is that they've made 35million from player sales (18 million if you dont cont this summer). Having made the champions league all 4 seasons of those seasons.

Which was the context I was using it in... I'm not claiming you're buying your way up the table or anything I was just making the point that whilst other teams are spending money to improve their team (as well as selling to fund moves). Arsenal aren't doing too bad seeing as their figure for the last 5 years is that they've made 35million from player sales (18 million if you dont cont this summer). Having made the champions league all 4 seasons of those seasons.

Aye, i get what you're saying but you keep using Spurs as an example of high spending when the only clubs that don't spend anywhere near as much are limited to Arsenal and the teams in relegation battles. It just seems like a pointless comparison, you should really be using City,Liverpool and Chelsea.

The Arsenal point is moot anyway as they've spent several years plunging money into a stadium. I'm sure Spurs won't be flinging money left right and centre when the new stadium is under way.

Aye, i get what you're saying but you keep using Spurs as an example of high spending when the only clubs that don't spend anywhere near as much are limited to Arsenal and the teams in relegation battles. It just seems like a pointless comparison, you should really be using City,Liverpool and Chelsea.

The Arsenal point is moot anyway as they've spent several years plunging money into a stadium. I'm sure Spurs won't be flinging money left right and centre when the new stadium is under way.

Actually I used Liverpool and Spurs as examples of clubs that have spent a lot more than Arsenal in recent years but have not been performing better. City and Chelsea have spent a lot more than any of those 3 but they are examples of how money can buy you wins.

I included Spurs on the basis of have spent more than Arsenal (yes quite substantially) have performed better (no, except this season).

• Upvote 2

Does it matter if Spurs have or haven't spent money more or less money than other teams? Spending lots of money means you get proper good players and you win loads of pots. Everyone who has won the Premier League so far has spent a fair bit of money at some point (except Liverpool, who have spent loads of money and haven't won it). Players want money. Teams want money for their good players. Every kid who can kick a ball with two feet now is a wonderkid and is being touted for £15million and is "the next Messi". Money. Alot of focus is put on how much money teams spend, but if they are attracting the best players, and winning the best trophies, then it's obviously paying off.

Long live big spenders.