aberdeen-music

Ebay cunts

Yes. Apparently photographic evidence isn't enough, as images can be photoshopped. In an ideal world, you need an unbiased third party to confirm that the item you sent wasn't damaged.

A chum of mine got fucked over a Commander Chief costume; the wanker who bought it obviously wore it on a fancy dress night out and ruined it, demanded a refund and got it. The suit is beyond repair.

It seems to be really common for folk to make up bullshit stories about items bought on ebay just to get a refund, it's odd that ebay haven't started to make seller points available all over the country where you can get someone to check an item before you can list it, and stop all this crap. I guess it isn't so odd, it'd cost the money...

Right, the plot thickens.

this guy has witheld payment of the item until the ebay dispute is resolved. Rather than him sending me the item back and receiving a full refund, he has decided he would like a 20 refund providing his mate can fix the supposed damage. He says Ebay/Paypal have a safeguard in place that means I need to refund the 20 before he can release the 200. How can I refund before I've been funded?!

Does anyone else smell bullshit? I've not had much experience selling shit on Ebay, but I reckon this cunt needs a leg broken.

Any advice would be a beaut.

When I sold my amp on ebay, and it arrived to the buyer damaged, I smelled a rat, because he didn't mention the damage in the first two messages. He was initially annoyed that it didn't come with a power cable (which I stated in the sale as Head Only), and the second message was that the reverb didn't work, though it does, it just needs the reverb tank reconnecting, which is simply just a matter of plugging it in, like a pair of earphones. Definitely not a defect, though I did admit that I forgot to state that in the ad, but it's so incredibly easy to remedy and not worthy of a refund at all.

It wasn't until the third message that he mentioned that the chassis was split and couldn't be lifted up without it possibly snapping in half. If he had tested and used the amplifier, which he did, because he claimed the reverb didn't work, then he would have noticed this immediately. The damage was strange, because for it to happen, it would have had to have had a pretty hefty drop, and I imagine some of the innards would have been damaged too. Even with a drop, the amp was packaged like a tank, and the amp simply looked like it had been pried apart at the corner rather than taken a bash.

He was a right arsehole to me in the messages about it. Really aggressive and expletive, so I gave him very minimal responses back, because you get what you give. He also didn't insure the item when it was returned, as I did when I sent it to him (whereby my postage and packing cost way more than I charged him). To make matters worse, he'd opened up a case with ebay demanding a refund before I'd even received the amp. The amp was delivered whilst I was away for a few days for my birthday, and by the time I'd gotten back, his case with ebay had ended. Ebay had made a decision and actually paid the refund to him directly, and sent me an invoice to reimburse them, rather than the buyer. Which was strange.

Ebay is weird. The way of getting around such cuntery is simply not to use it.

I've had mostly good experiences on Ebay but a couple of bad ones as well, a guy last year raised a dispute with me over an antique clarinet I sent to him, he said the mouthpiece was smashed to bits when it arrived. I hadn't packed it as well as I probably could have, so I conceded it may have been broken in transit and offered him a refund. But then he came back and said there were no broken bits of wood in the package, just the instrument, so it must have been smashed before I even sent it to him and kicked off about how I'd been trying to rip him off from the start. Not sure what he was trying to do, because I'd already offered him a refund, but he kicked up a right stink about it. Still not sure whether it was actually broken in transit and he was lying, or if he opened it and smashed it himself for some reason. I ended up refunding him and telling him just to keep the fucking thing.

Someone didn't send me a CD the other month - I opened a dispute, got his phone number, etc.

Eventually got a refund via teh dispute but, for a laugh, I kept calling him every day & leaving messages.

Got an issue just now - bought an X Box game but it won't work. Bad news is I bought it about 6 weeks ago & only tried it the other day. Can I still open a dispute?

I haven't sold anything on eBay since July 2008. I think that was around the time they decreed that sellers couldn't leave -ve feedback. Then there was the "must use PayPal" thing. Then there was their rapid response to any auction which had "No PayPal" in the description, yet they couldn't be arsed to bin auctions clearly selling counterfeit gear which I pointed out. eBay itself is a sinking ship, but the idiots/scammers will keep drilling holes in the hull faster than eBay can (be bothered to?) fix them.