aberdeen-music

First musical instruments

Surfer_Rosa

Started playing classical guitar in music lessons when i was 13.

This was just before we chose what standard grades i would be studying and i enjoyed it so much i decided to continue doing music. The first guitar i owned was a cheap thing my mum got me from argos for 50 but it lasted me a good year and a half before i upgraded. I keep lending it out to people who show an interest in learning now. I still enjoy playing my classical even though im focussing on getting my band going now.

Got my first electric when i was 16 a sunburst mexican strat from R&B.

Didnt really start playing it properly till i was 18 though.

My first guitar was a Yamaha Pacifica 112 that I got in some sort of starter pack from Bruce Millers. I got an Epiphone Les Paul when I was about 21 which I could never really get on with and I stopped playing guitar for a while until I bought my first Telecaster, a Mex 72 Custom reissue.

I bought a Stratocaster a few years later, which I loved for a while but then completely went off. Since then it's been all Telecasters for me (I've got four now). Well, that and one Martin acoustic.

Piano from age 7, a short flirtation with guitar, the clarinet from about 10, tenor sax from 17, got my first synth at 22. First instrument that I owned was a cheap plastic boosey and hawkes clarinet which I absolutely loved. Played a bass clarinet in orchestras for a while

Yamaha_YCL-621II_Bass_Clarinet_s.jpg

Looked cool but it was a lone from the music centre and it had a bad smell about it.

My first guitar was a Hohner Rockwood when I was 12. It was like this one but black:

_c236706_image_0.png

With this guitar, I managed to master the entire Nirvana catalogue, despite it's neck being atrocious. The pickups would only stop squealing when my amp was turned off. I was delighted to get a Mex/US Telecaster as my next guitar.

First instrument was a copy of a p-bass by Legend. Black with a white scratchplate and a 'maple' board back in 1998 which I bought for 40 off my mate Malky. The following year I saved up at the daffie picking and bought a daphne blue 1997 Japanese Fender Precision. I then upgraded the pickups in the Legend to Fender 1962's and gave it to a friend to paint it in red and yellow tiger stripes. It's still in the house and plays just fine. I then upgraded the Fender with EMG's and a badass II bridge and also a second string retainer on the head. That bad boy was my number 1 bass for a long time and sits about two feet from me just now.

After that it was a translucent purple Stingray, then a sunset orange transparent US Precision, then a black-on-black-crime 1985 Jazz Special which already had the mods I'd have done - EMG's and a badass II bridge.

At one stage earlier on I also had a Fodic jazz copy which had a lovely neck and I sprayed it sparkly blue and replaced the bridge p'up with a Kent Armstrong which sounded phenomenal but I sold that to a young guy who needed a bass to start out on and I also had a Warwick streamer which I lent and then sold to Alex from Weapon. It was lovely, but too small for me to play comfortably.

• Upvote 1

Drums but i was beyond fucking rubbish, a spazzee octupus would of been more effective!

Then got banned from music at school for bending back the xylophone beater and pinging it off a guy in classes leg, he howled out of him and any chance of apology and cover up was well fucked.

Moved onto guitar with an old classical, then my first electric oot the clubbie payed with paper round money! Think it was an Arbiter, tobacco sunburst Les Paul shaped thing. I thought it was amazing but if i ever got the chance to play it again it would probably be beyond pish!

Once wrote down all the guitars ive owned one night bored on nightshift. Fucking scary!!!

Crappy '90s Yamaha keyboard. Had the best 'demo' song on it ever; sort of big band nonsense that seamlessly merged into hard rock before finishing off with some samba number. Spent most of my time attempting to play Beatles tunes on it before giving up and just hitting the 'dog' noise on the percussion pads until I pissed my parents off.

Good times.

Edit: Actually, on reflection, it seems somewhat sadistic of Yamaha to have a 'dog' option in the percussion section. Rolf Harris would've been right onto those cunts.

• Upvote 1

my first instrument was a Prince Y20 3/4 size classical, had it since I was 10 or 11, I broke the neck in two on the school bus many years ago but with a little Araldite a steel rod to keep it together the little fucker still plays!

still got the original strings on it too! :up: