aberdeen-music

One-up Records

milners

How very sad to see one-up pay off a few staff today. Not good to see our local record store struggle.

I'm maybe as guilty as most that i mostly download music :( - still its more difficult for me as i don't work in aberdeen these days and download is easier but still should pop in now and again.

Guest idol_wild

As a former employ and customer, this is really sad. It was sort of inevitable, but it's still uncomfortable to know it's happening. Great place to browse and buy music, and it was, essentially, a great place to work early in your working life. Hope it finds a way to keep running in the long-term.

I still know a couple of the current staff, hope to fuck it's not them.

Guest davetherave

Thats sad to hear, I often go in for a browse/purchase on my lunchtime, but it seems to have got quieter every time I go in?

Hope things improve, I'd hate to see one up close!

Maybe with the weather clearing up more people will venture out and pop in by to buy a cd.

I think that is optimistic thinking. I don't really think any weather is going to help CD sales. Just take a look at this graph.

bainmusic | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

While the sources and calculations of the graph are questionable i think the general trend is very true. Unfortunately, and it is sad, but the CD is on a dramatic decline. And actually the music industry on the whole is on the decline, but that is an entirely different topic.

Really the only option now is for places to downsize. The demand is simply not there that once was, and most probably never will be. I would rather places downsized and still existed than disappeared forever.

It will be interesting to see what happens to HMV over the next few years, although their CD section is almost irrelevant now actually.

Just not many people buy CDs now. The only people that are really buying now are really avid music fans. The rest are buying through the internet, downloading illegally (cunts) or you get the casual music listener who buys a handful of pop CDs from Tesco every year.

Also as great a service as spotify can be, it is killing the CD.

Probably in about 5 years the CD will be pretty much obsolete and will only be being bought by music obsessives, similar to how the vinyl is.

It is all a shame, but really the CD has become a tired format, and while i still buy exclusively on them i do so for nostalgia and for familiarity. Others have simply moved on.

As a former employ and customer, this is really sad. It was sort of inevitable, but it's still uncomfortable to know it's happening. Great place to browse and buy music, and it was, essentially, a great place to work early in your working life. Hope it finds a way to keep running in the long-term.

I still know a couple of the current staff, hope to fuck it's not them.

Wirey and Finnie according to their Facebook status.

I guess this trend kind of sees the death of the "person who works in a music shop" which is also sad. Kids will still dress like them but in an ironic way or something.

It's a bummer but as you say inevitable. I guess I'll be one of those CD aficionados. Partly because I like them and partly because I've never worked out how to download stuff other than when I'm drunk and pay 79p for Avril Lavigne tracks through iTunes.

Thats sad as fuck too hear.

Ive been going to One Up since i was an ickle kid when they were in Rosemount. Spent every single penny i had of paper money in the Diamond Street shop.

Dont buy as much Cds now just for storage reasons but ive never file shared or downloaded anything without paying for it.

Really hope One Up doesnt close.

I'm very much a CD person so this is a great shame, hopefully they can keep going. I like owning a CD, having the sleevenotes and adding to a collection. I download on occasions but I'd rather have a rake around in One Up and if I can't find what I'm after there will turn to Amazon for a 2nd hand bargain.

Sad news. I'm pretty happy that I can at least pretend I would buy more music if I lived in Aberdeen and could go to 1up.

Had some great browsing sessions in there.

I remember when I first became aware of it's existence when a friend bought me a charlatans single for my 11th (?) birthday. Those days will never happen again :(

Couldn't they hold more in-stores and charge admission? Probably not, but if all else fails...

Bands would then want paid, as people were paying to come and see them. Also what happens when Joe Bloggs pops in to buy the new Cheryl Cole album and is told he has to pay to get into the shop...

Tis a sad time indeed, hopefully they'll ride it out. Did my 4th year (high school) work experience at One Up and met people like Dave Officer, Steven Rainy, Ruaraidh Sanachan and Tich for the first time. Most of whom i still keep in touch with from time to time.

I'm in One Up a significant amount (away to try and give them some rare-ish CDs, actually), so I'm really worried by this.

Oh and if you download music illegally knowing that people are losing jobs then aren't you a bastard? This man says 'Yes'.

It is actually pretty widely thought that if a band/artist is on the radio or releasing albums then they have pretty much made it.

A lot of people i know are of this mindset when i ask why they illegally download, apparently 'artists have already got too much money'.

They couldn't be more wrong, most struggle to make a living.

Even a band like Kings Of Leon* i would object to downloading illegally. While they have a lot of money; the label, the PR company, the distributor, the CD pressing company, the record stores would all miss out on some much needed cash and it is the people at the bottom that always miss out/lose jobs.

*I wouldn't buy a Kings Of Leon record anyway.

It is actually pretty widely thought that if a band/artist is on the radio or releasing albums then they have pretty much made it.

A lot of people i know are of this mindset when i ask why they illegally download, apparently 'artists have already got too much money'.

They couldn't be more wrong, most struggle to make a living.

Preaching to the choir, dude. Written loads about this, the mindset people have about music nowadays is absolutely ridiculous.

Even a band like Kings Of Leon* i would object to downloading illegally. While they have a lot of money; the label, the PR company, the distributor, the CD pressing company, the record stores would all miss out on some much needed cash and it is the people at the bottom that always miss out/lose jobs.

*I wouldn't buy a Kings Of Leon record anyway.

True. At the end of the day a CD is a CD and pressing them and selling them costs money and requires staff, no matter if it's Britney Spears' or Copy Haho's.