aberdeen-music

One-up Records

milners

the simple fact is Avalanche & 1UP are like all record shops that remain open, that they are struggling & if we don't consciously decide to use them for our music related purchases etc they will be gone.

Interest rates will probably be going up this year which is going to add extra costs to overdrafts.

As idol_wild said the coffee situation sound crap as there's FOUR coffee shops & the wild thingy within 30yards of 1UP's front door.

So next time you think you are going to buy music product use 1UP

all said & done "use them or loose them"

RBS were kind enough to give me an annual report of my spending last year, including a rather interesting breakdown of where I made the most debit card purchases. Was something like this:

Oddbins 312

One-Up Records 235

Aberdeen FC 126

Says it all really! Ill be majorly gutted if they do eventually go under but hopefully not. If they can cut their cloth and the demand for tangible music products remains then they could well stay there or perhaps have to move to a smaller store. If there is no demand for what they sell or the exact same product can be bought cheaper elsewhere then they wont last. There arent many butchers, cobblers, haberdashers etc. around any more either. Times a change.

We're all talking like the place is about to close.

It is probably inevitable though.

Unfortunately this type of talk publicly does not help.

Although a few people on here are speaking about supporting the shop etc, in general people don't wan't to go into shops or restauarnats etc if they are "failing", psycologically they want to go somewhere "succesful".

I feel kind of bad for saying this but i'll only really miss having a cd and taking it to the counter to pay, and having it there and then.

At the moment I rarely buy anything from oneup other than gig tickets due to a pretty limited selection of things I listen to, and due to a bad experience I'll never get them to order in a CD again. I'm all for supporting independent shops but other than what is already instore, ordering online has been a much better experience for me (especially as I buy a lot direct from the artist or their label).

Does anyone know the deal with Aberdeen's HMV? Is it one of the ones that is gonna close or is it staying open?

I'd imagine it will probably be fine as they will be closing the ones in cities with a couple of HMV, but who knows.

In a way if it closed it would be a blessing to One Up. I dunno who shops there anyway though, their CD pricing is just absurd.

the simple fact is Avalanche & 1UP are like all record shops that remain open, that they are struggling & if we don't consciously decide to use them for our music related purchases etc they will be gone.

Interest rates will probably be going up this year which is going to add extra costs to overdrafts.

As idol_wild said the coffee situation sound crap as there's FOUR coffee shops & the wild thingy within 30yards of 1UP's front door.

So next time you think you are going to buy music product use 1UP

all said & done "use them or loose them"

I would use them if they provided the service I need these days. Sadly they don't, nor do they seem that interested in doing so. The world has changed.

One-Up need to focus more on vinyl. That's easier said than done I'm sure, but if their collection was more up-to-date (I'm not looking for signed copies of The Wall, I'd be okay with Man Alive or whatever) there's only really one place you look for vinyl.

EDIT: That didn't make any sense but my point's there.

• Upvote 1

They should ditch all the commercial CD's and stick to 2nd hand/independents....move to smaller premises, sack everyone under 35, ban all instore appearances, charge anyone who wants to "listen" to a record (this is worth a few million surely with those knobs who take 90 12"s to the counter and spend 9 hours listening to them before deciding theres nothing worthwhile)...stock tshirts in sizes larger than XXXXS...stop playing dance/techno over the stereo (or hipster shit, whatever is in just now)...and if all else fails..set up a pirating operation in the basement, producing bootlegs of commercial cd's and profit big time on the sales!! It worked in russia...

They should ditch all the commercial CD's and stick to 2nd hand/independents....move to smaller premises, sack everyone under 35, ban all instore appearances, charge anyone who wants to "listen" to a record (this is worth a few million surely with those knobs who take 90 12"s to the counter and spend 9 hours listening to them before deciding theres nothing worthwhile)...stock tshirts in sizes larger than XXXXS...stop playing dance/techno over the stereo (or hipster shit, whatever is in just now)...and if all else fails..set up a pirating operation in the basement, producing bootlegs of commercial cd's and profit big time on the sales!! It worked in russia...

This was heading for rep until the two exclamation marks at the end.

It seemed like you were posting that link to explain to everyone why it's cheaper online than in a shop. Something I'm sure everyone is aware of.

Well i apologize, i have never seen that link before. Now please get down off that horse.

It is good though that we currently have a government who are all about fairness and may sort these things out.

...Oh, wait.

It seemed like you were posting that link to explain to everyone why it's cheaper online than in a shop. Something I'm sure everyone is aware of.

well, gosh, I wasn't aware you were so clued up on Channel Islands VAT loopholes & the discussion within the EU regarding them.

I can only apologise for providing a relevant link in a discussion on the declining sales in local independent stores in the hope it would lead to discussion on VAT, cheap CDs & what could, or should, be done.

stupid me.

Well i apologize, i have never seen that link before. Now please get down off that horse.

It is good though that we currently have a government who are all about fairness and may sort these things out.

...Oh, wait.

Which horse are you referring to? It's well known that's why companies like play.com and amazon operate out of the channel islands.

Guest idol_wild

I'm not.

The article posted actually clued me up a bit. :up: