aberdeen-music

The Hip Hop Thread

Lemonade

Still not good hangover music but I’m listening to Death Grips a lot just now. That ‘Beware’ song that samples Janes Addiction and Charles Manson is awesome.

Rap is not a genre I tend to be up to speed with so if anyone knows of other bands doing similar stuff to Death Grips please let me know.

You might like P.O.S' LP 'Audition' (His best album IMO). It's perhaps not as full-on as Death Grips, but it's almost along the same lines. It has alot of samples of punk/hc basslines, and the delivery of the vocals gets pretty aggro. Definitely on the more aggressive side of hip hop, without getting all 'gangsta'

You might like P.O.S' LP 'Audition' (His best album IMO). It's perhaps not as full-on as Death Grips, but it's almost along the same lines. It has alot of samples of punk/hc basslines, and the delivery of the vocals gets pretty aggro. Definitely on the more aggressive side of hip hop, without getting all 'gangsta'

Cheers, will check him out....

Guest Giles Walker

Not sure if i already posted this a while back when the mixtape 'dropped' but i just noticed it had a video and i kinda dig the slightly Eski style beat.

Edit:

I posted it just one page back

Guest Giles Walker
Going to see this kid on thursday. It's gonna be rowdy I think. Anyone have any more suggestions along these old-fashioned, fuck-choruses, relentless-beat kinda lines?

I promise you i am not trying to sound patronising here but... the mid to late 90s and the early 00s has a wealth of this sort of stuff. The beat used on Survival Tactics is a beat from the early 00s, Styles Of Beyond, if i am not mistaken.

Yup

Unless you are talking about acts with the idea of trying to catch them live. In which case, fuck knows.

I promise you i am not trying to sound patronising here but... the mid to late 90s and the early 00s has a wealth of this sort of stuff. The beat used on Survival Tactics is a beat from the early 00s, Styles Of Beyond, if i am not mistaken.

Yup

Unless you are talking about acts with the idea of trying to catch them live. In which case, fuck knows.

Yeah, I know all about the mid 90s stuff. That's pretty much all I listen to. I mean nowadays. I'm kinda tired of a lot of hip hop at the moment - that's why that joey badass track struck a chord, it's more what i'm into. I don't even know what the style is called but i'm not feeling it at all - slow beats where the kick drum sounds like a timpani, the snare is really poppy and there's always a lot of handclaps. Drake and all them.

everything sounds like this to me at the moment:

I don't even know what the style is called but i'm not feeling it at all - slow beats where the kick drum sounds like a timpani, the snare is really poppy and there's always a lot of handclaps. Drake and all them.

Hate this production style. It just strikes me as incredibly lazy: I can go into FL Studio and recreate that exact paper-thin snare sound in about 10 seconds. It doesn't sound good to me in any way, and as soon as I hear that snappy, shitty snare in a song I usually know that the rest of the beat is gonna be honking. Then again, I'm a massive beat nerd. I'd usually rather listen to a a mediocre rapper go over a good beat than a good rapper go over a mediocre beat. Part of the reason I can't get into Odd Future is because most of the production is completely terrible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been listening to a bit of Jay-Z, and I've been kind of enjoying it. I'm not really into hip-hop/rap, but would like to get into it, as I always like stuff that I hear. Can anyone recommend a few "essential" albums I could check out? Consider this hip-hop 101.

I've been listening to a bit of Jay-Z, and I've been kind of enjoying it. I'm not really into hip-hop/rap, but would like to get into it, as I always like stuff that I hear. Can anyone recommend a few "essential" albums I could check out? Consider this hip-hop 101.

GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords

The rest will all just fall into place.

• 2 weeks later...