aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

They have fitted kitchens and bathrooms. but no appliances. and if you're unlucky, like my ex was, it'll be very badly redecorated too, if it is at all. We spent quite a lot of money in that flat like.

So there won't be a cooker?! Lol no wonder rent is so low... So now I'll need to get an electrician to install one I'll have to buy myself and a washing machine will have to be bought too... That alone seems like a steaming pile of shit. How do people do this? :S Like for real, there was no cooker when you were in one from them?

So there won't be a cooker?! Lol no wonder rent is so low... So now I'll need to get an electrician to install one I'll have to buy myself and a washing machine will have to be bought too... That alone seems like a steaming pile of shit. How do people do this? :S Like for real, there was no cooker when you were in one from them?

nothing. luckily my family and her family were good to us. her parents bought the cooker. my parents paid for the bedroom carpet. my grandma bought the washing machine. all of which were cheap, but beggars can't be choosers and they were gifts so no complaints at all here. we used money from christmas and stuff to get the fridge/freezer. we got the flat in may. so we had bought the fridge and put it in to storage 5 months before we even got the place. over that 5 months we saved up money to get flooring, paint, and all the things you need to live.

you just gotta prioritise. we bought everything we needed before we went for stuff like a tv and that. which we had saved up change for about a year and managed to afford a decent sized one. sofas were on finance.

don't pay for a sparky to do it. I'll happily come over and do it once you're ready.

I bought a second hand cooker,

wiring one up is as simple as wiring a plug on an electrical appliance, you put the correct wires to the correct terminals on the outlet which will pre-wired to the mains,

obviously cut mains power while wiring up.

I've only really seen appliances and such in private let properties,

housing associations have fixed rent per abode, they cant increase the rent if they put a cooker in. Plus they would have to further assist their upkeep.

Yeah there was no flooring, apart from in the kitchen. which had god awful lino which we put nicer lino over. haha.

Apart from making sure the power for the cooker is off, the main thing to remember is that old buildings will have old coloured wiring. and you'll need to actually buy the wires from b&q or whatever to go from cooker to wall. so you'll have brown blue and earth. but your wall might be red black and white or something. a quick google search tells you what's what though and it's just a case of having the power off and screwing in the wires. 

Yeah there was no flooring, apart from in the kitchen. which had god awful lino which we put nicer lino over. haha.

Apart from making sure the power for the cooker is off, the main thing to remember is that old buildings will have old coloured wiring. and you'll need to actually buy the wires from b&q or whatever to go from cooker to wall. so you'll have brown blue and earth. but your wall might be red black and white or something. a quick google search tells you what's what though and it's just a case of having the power off and screwing in the wires. 

Pretty sure something's wrong if you're offered a place with no carpet or any kind of flooring? :p Surely the person before you wasn't living like that in which case I don't want to know why. You're saying the floors were actually fully bare? That's strange! Ah, I wouldn't touch the cooker, knowing me it'd explode when I put the power back on. Not worth it. Plus I don't even know if it has gas and electric connections or just electric... :( Need to wait and see. If I walk in and there's no flooring I will actually question why in the name of fuck they have not told me this. Is it a case of "you get what you pay for"? Seemed unreal with the rent rate...

Pretty sure something's wrong if you're offered a place with no carpet or any kind of flooring? :p Surely the person before you wasn't living like that in which case I don't want to know why. You're saying the floors were actually fully bare? That's strange! Ah, I wouldn't touch the cooker, knowing me it'd explode when I put the power back on. Not worth it. Plus I don't even know if it has gas and electric connections or just electric... :( Need to wait and see. If I walk in and there's no flooring I will actually question why in the name of fuck they have not told me this. Is it a case of "you get what you pay for"? Seemed unreal with the rent rate...

It's just a council/housing association thing. my old upstairs neighbours moved out and left all the floors down. nice laminate. nice carpets. nice kitchen lino. council came in and ripped it all out. what happened with us was we moved in, then we got a letter saying we were getting anew kitchen. and the ripped up the lino we put down and put down newer (and nicer) flooring haha.

It's just a council/housing association thing. my old upstairs neighbours moved out and left all the floors down. nice laminate. nice carpets. nice kitchen lino. council came in and ripped it all out. what happened with us was we moved in, then we got a letter saying we were getting anew kitchen. and the ripped up the lino we put down and put down newer (and nicer) flooring haha.

So it's normal to have no carpet? Wait... are Langstane flats owned by the council? In that case is it possible to apply for the furniture scheme for like one thing? Wow, they took it out for what reason exactly?! Ok so really when you had no flooring that wasn't acceptable and that's why you got a letter saying stuff was being put in? Or just the kitchen? So damn confusing as I thought flats y'know had flooring... :p

So it's normal to have no carpet? Wait... are Langstane flats owned by the council? In that case is it possible to apply for the furniture scheme for like one thing? Wow, they took it out for what reason exactly?! Ok so really when you had no flooring that wasn't acceptable and that's why you got a letter saying stuff was being put in? Or just the kitchen? So damn confusing as I thought flats y'know had flooring... :p

Yeah that's normal. I don't think they are but they work together so it's worth a go.

and no, nothing to do with no flooring. they were just putting in new kitchens for everyone.

you'll be expecting light bulbs next.

you seem quite disillusioned by the whole process, most cases of a housing association re-letting a property is that they empty everything that has been left by the previous owner, bill them for anything that hasn't be left in an acceptable condition and get it to a standard level for re-letting.

Any council house won't come with anything, other than a boiler

I didn't have a carpet in my bathroom for 6 years or my kitchen. 

I prefer living in council property.

1. you don't have anal landlord that set silly rules.

2, if your boiler/electric something goes wrong there is means in place to get it sorted. Any time my boiler went, i just phoned richard irvine (the contracter to the council) boom they came round sorted it no fuss.

3. pets/smoking, there is no regulations for smoking, and you only require written permission for animal, that they never bother checking until.if they receive a complaint

4. It's easy to be behind in the rent, they have a long drawn out process that it takes for ever to evict you. just pay back a little more if your behind and they are happy.

5. You are entitled to make improvements to your home with no required permission, I could easily put down wooden flooring, redecorate the kitchen put in a shower. As long as they are done within reasonable standards. 

6. no fear of random spot checks.

7. I can have all my own furniture and not restricted that if I had a private rent flat I would have to use the furniture that comes with the flat and maintain that they don't become damaged and in a fit state if I leave

8. cheap rent.

9. If the worst does happen and I loose my job, I have piece of mind that I wont have hassle claiming housing benefit when between jobs. 

10. I can use blue tack, thumb tacks, 10 inch nails, I've bored guitar hooks in my living room, they dont care.

Edited by fatboy
  • Upvote 2

Thank you, will check them too. All of that seems worth it but a hassle starting up. I need to take one, possibly two animals and was unable to find anything privately that allowed it. It's annoying 'cause all the flats I saw before I wanted the washer but not the furniture that takes up too much space. Cheap rent -  trying to figure out if I'm staying in one place for 2-3 years if it's worth buying all the appliances or better to pay higher rent with stuff already in it...

Holy shit, bluetack just did it for me, sold on that information alone.