aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

He walks fine with a stick not so good without it. He just needs to strengthen it. Unfortunately we dont have the facilities for swimming wich is a shame. But the rule is. If one goes out the whole group must go and it would cost a load of money to mobalise 20 pentioners and the paperwork would be unbareable. Great idea though. The badminton idea was just a suggestion as we have the facilites and equipment for raquet sports and maybe netball too

The guy is late 70s the problem isnt paperwork we dont mind it. Just when one person leaves for a day. Everyone else wants too. The plan is not to fuck his leg up even more. Slowly building his strength up via treadmill vibra plate and investing in a rowing machine and exercise bike. From next week on me and him are doing a training program plan. Not just leg work but work to his abdominal and upper body muscles so we dont over do his legs and theres no point in just working on legs. Also talk about dieting etc. We have the facilities to help him with this

They might trust you, but if anything was to go wrong they'd be royally screwed. Surely someone trained in rehabilitation is best for this? You know, someone with liability insurance?

aslong as he is supervised and safety measures are taken. The machines are all programeable so you tell it his age, conditions etc. Once it reaches a surten heart rate they stop. A clip is put on his belt so if he slips the machine stops. I will be there at all times as im the only one who knows how to use all the equipment. We have nurses on site too if anything goes wrong. Alarms in every room

aslong as he is supervised and safety measures are taken. The machines are all programeable so you tell it his age, conditions etc. Once it reaches a surten heart rate they stop. A clip is put on his belt so if he slips the machine stops. I will be there at all times as im the only one who knows how to use all the equipment. We have nurses on site too if anything goes wrong. Alarms in every room

• Upvote 2

Racquet sports for a pensioner with knee problems? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.  Would strongly suggest you talk to a sports physio about what activities would be suitable.  

If the guy's had knee issues and you want to strengthen that then you're probably looking at lots of leg raises and resistance exercises. Probably sticking to bodyweight stuff and lots of reps.  

Seriously though I wouldn't take any old suggestion from the internet. You're not a qualified personal trainer or physio and neither are we, the guy's had bad knee problems in the past and you don't really know what you're doing. The fact your want him to play tennis scares me.  Go find a friendly physio and talk to them for advice before you do anything.  Bowls might be the best thing for him, don't rule it out.

The tennis was just a suggestion as its propably the main sport we have gear for but now that i think about it. Your right. It will fuck him up worse. Firstly ill need to know whats problems he has. How badly his knee is. Bow far he can walk etc. As hes not getting any younger and he does have dementia. Your right i will go speak to a sports physio. Luckily my rugby coach is trained in physio so ill talk to him on wednsday.

We have a lot of weights light and heavy. For all parts of the body so thats helpfull. Im just going to leave the tennis idea as it was a bad one. What about walking? Like some elderly do yo keep in shape? I asked on here as i thought some people might have experiancd i.e dads breaking something and how they recovered

Quick question: what the actual fuck is going on in this thread?

A stated in the opening post the purpose of this thread is "A sticky thread for all those inane questions you want to ask that don't really deserve their own thread. Stuff like "What time does Bruce Millers close?", "What was that dogshit support band called last night?" or "Where can I buy a deep fried shoulder of mutton in town?" and then the knowledgeable locals can share their wealth of know-how."

The thread quickly adopted the practice of questions being in bold so as to stand out. The thread is no longer a sticky but tends to remain close to the top of page 1 in the general chat area. A question from YoungA regarding physio activities for an old man recovering from an injured knee has led to a discussion as to whether YoungA is really a suitable person to be in charge of such care and what other options should maybe be explored.

The tennis was just a suggestion as its propably the main sport we have gear for but now that i think about it. Your right. It will fuck him up worse. Firstly ill need to know whats problems he has. How badly his knee is. Bow far he can walk etc. As hes not getting any younger and he does have dementia. Your right i will go speak to a sports physio. Luckily my rugby coach is trained in physio so ill talk to him on wednsday.

We have a lot of weights light and heavy. For all parts of the body so thats helpfull. Im just going to leave the tennis idea as it was a bad one. What about walking? Like some elderly do yo keep in shape? I asked on here as i thought some people might have experiancd i.e dads breaking something and how they recovered

Walking is a much more sensible idea and can be done as a group.  If you want some route ideas here's an excellent website that offers routes all over Scotland from short, flat ones near towns and cities to much more challenging long distance and mountain routes:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

Speaking as someone currently recovering from a long term knee injury I wouldn't imagine much exercises involving weights would do him good, but it depends on the nature of his knee problem.  

Walking is a much more sensible idea and can be done as a group.  If you want some route ideas here's an excellent website that offers routes all over Scotland from short, flat ones near towns and cities to much more challenging long distance and mountain routes:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

Speaking as someone currently recovering from a long term knee injury I wouldn't imagine much exercises involving weights would do him good, but it depends on the nature of his knee problem.  

it would be more beneficial but out of the group of 20 ish theirs only about 5 who could deal with walking, some have vascular dementia and exercise can make it worse and some just arent capeable at times but since the guy lives down the road from me, would it be illegal for me and him to go out walking. or even cycling out of hours?

what have you done to your knee? half of his is metal i believe 

I've been suffering from Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome for a year.  Basically the kneecap doesn't move in a straight line up and down which aggravates the ligaments underneath. Root cause is muscle imbalance and weaknesses in the glutes and around the hip - so lots of leg raises and resistance exercises are sorting it out.  Regular physio appointments and doing what I'm told really.

But there's loads of different things that can go wrong around the knee and what fixes one problem can fuck up another, so you have to be careful.

I've been suffering from Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome for a year.  Basically the kneecap doesn't move in a straight line up and down which aggravates the ligaments underneath. Root cause is muscle imbalance and weaknesses in the glutes and around the hip - so lots of leg raises and resistance exercises are sorting it out.  Regular physio appointments and doing what I'm told really.

But there's loads of different things that can go wrong around the knee and what fixes one problem can fuck up another, so you have to be careful.

sound painful dude was that from a fall or did it just occur as you were growing up? first we need a note from his doctor to say whats wrong with his knee and how it happened etc as  we then can decide how it will all work what exercises he can and cant do. would a vibra plate do much or are they only for loosing the beef?

sound painful dude was that from a fall or did it just occur as you were growing up? first we need a note from his doctor to say whats wrong with his knee and how it happened etc as  we then can decide how it will all work what exercises he can and cant do. would a vibra plate do much or are they only for loosing the beef?

I have no idea what a vibra plate is. 

I stopped growing up a long time ago...  the knee injury was basically from a lack of cross training. All I was doing for the last few years was running and neglected to do any other form of training to complement it.  Eventually the imbalance developed and started causing me knee pain.  A double session of hill intervals triggered the initial injury but the underlying problem will have developed over a couple of years (basically since I switched to running from other sport which was better for all round strength).