aberdeen-music

operation payback - wikileaks/ACS law/an0n etc

ZeromiserY

has anyone been keeping up with 4chan/anonymous DDos attacks on credit card companies and mastercard, "operation payback"?

been looking into the whole DDos attacks and want to know how safe it would be to take part in one using the LOIC ( LOIC - Encyclopedia Dramatica ) via a proxy (obv)

this naturally is only for educational purposes. i've a feeling the mods won't like info on how this is actually done posted so please keep this topical discussion rather than "shit yeah here's where to get the LOIC and here's the time/date of the next DDos with IP and web address"

what exactly was the scoop with the rape accusations?

4.png

operation-payback-avenge-assange-4522-1291843188-22.jpg

what exactly was the scoop with the rape accusations?

It depends what source you're looking at. The defence seems to be partially based around the fact that Assange was only accused of rape after girl A spoke to girl B on the telephone and they both found out about each other. I believe that both girls admit to having consensual sex with Assange but the definition of rape is broader in Sweden, so if you do something during sex that a girl doesn't like even if she did consent to sex it still constitutes as rape. That's basically it.

has anyone been keeping up with 4chan/anonymous DDos attacks on credit card companies and mastercard, "operation payback"?

As far as I know it is largely over. But travel to 4chan and have a look. It is supposedly easy to trace.

The fact you're asking those questions here makes me think perhaps you don't know enough about it to consider getting involved.

Well trying to get educated can't be a bad thing? Everyone has to start somewhere. You're right, I don't, so I'm trying to find out.thanks for nothing

Thanks for your reply Robert. It all seems a bit too convenient to me.

why would you be up for partaking in illegal activity without knowing enough to even form your own opinion on it? i know you're trying to find out now but you've already said you're looking to join in the attack.

seems pretty odd. also, there are better news sources than aberdeen-music. though to fill you in, he's been granted bail but has to stay in as it's been appealed by the swedes.

as i read/see/think it ... (Ill have to thank my brother for explaining most of this to me over the last week) ... in effect a DDOS attack is the same technologically as ticketmaster getting swamped at 9am as tickets for "Act X" goes on sale and the amount of traffic overloads the server with requests and the website fails. Is this illegal? If you block the front door of a shop and stop people entering ... is that illegal? A type of "digital sit-in protest"?

The question then is intent. The purpose of a DDOS attack is to crash a website deliberately - is that illegal? I dont think they have been targeting the transactions of these card companies (not sure though), just symbolically attacking their homepages (but im sure anon would quite happily, in its crazy-herd-mentality, attack the transaction processing). There is also a knock on affect for 'normal' businesses who use paypal etc for their income.... which im sure has not been insignificant for some people. But your choice not to use a particluar company is still your choice.

I think that the law hasnt caught up to all of this yet but this doesnt mean that you couldnt be charged under some law, somewhere, for being part of it... a teenager in Holland has already been charged (or something) for taking part (there was no sympathy from anon about this though!).

I dont know if there is any law(s) against the deliberate attempts to disrupt the business of a company, but is telling someone not to shop at a certain shop the same thing? public/private statements?

or something like this...

this, and the whole wikileaks thing, is all fascinating...

Zl8kixVtPqykzgxq9SG0jyHEo1_500.png

[probably been posted in "laugh out loud" thread already]

Look, please stop taking swipes at me for asking questions. I asked a simple question, I'm just looking for information. 4chan don't take kindly to "Newfags" and often aren't the best source of information. I was hoping someone here would be in the know and help me out.

Andy, you're brother gave you and excellent description of DDos, I know how DDos works. What I want know is how "anonymous" it actually is. Also, more about wikileaks, ACS law etc and opinions on these matters.

I totally agree, fascinating stuff. This could well determine the future of net neutrality/censorship etc.

why would you be up for partaking in illegal activity without knowing enough to even form your own opinion on it? i know you're trying to find out now but you've already said you're looking to join in the attack.

seems pretty odd. also, there are better news sources than aberdeen-music. though to fill you in, he's been granted bail but has to stay in as it's been appealed by the swedes.

I don't remember saying I don't have an opinion on it. I may not have stated it, that doesn't mean I dont have one. If you read more carefully i also said i wanted to know for educational purposes only.....

I also never said I wanted to join anything. This is a topical discussion, as I laid out in my first post.

the definition of rape is broader in Sweden, so if you do something during sex that a girl doesn't like even if she did consent to sex it still constitutes as rape.

I know the laws in the nordics in general are very different to here but that is extremely vague isn't it.

You can't even treat a girl to a surprise porky twanger without getting on a register. What's the world coming to.

FT.com / Global Economy - UK police investigate WikiLeaks supporters

decent article from the FT. (full text in spoiler for those without FT login.)

UK police investigate WikiLeaks supporters

By Tim Bradshaw and Mary Watkins in London and Joseph Menn in San Francisco

Published: December 15 2010 13:42 | Last updated: December 15 2010 13:42

The London Metropolitan Police is investigating recent web attacks by Anonymous, the pro-WikiLeaks activists who have taken revenge against perceived opponents of the whistleblowing site.

The Met has been examining alleged criminal offences by Anonymous - which has previously targeted the record industry and the Scientologists - for several months.

This week, the London police service stepped up its investigation in the wake of recent denial of service attacks, whereby websites are swamped with traffic and rendered inaccessible.

Several companies, including MasterCard, PayPal and Amazon, were targeted by the hacktivists, who believe the technology and payment firms have hindered WikiLeaks campaign for freedom of information by withdrawing services to the site.

Earlier this year the Metropolitan Police Service received a number of allegations of denial-of-service cyber attacks against several companies by a group calling themselves Anonymous. We are investigating these criminal allegations and our investigation is ongoing, the Met said in a statement.

The Metropolitan Police Service is monitoring the situation relating to recent and ongoing denial of service attacks and will investigate where appropriate.

An internet advisory group to the European Union also warned on Wednesday that the spate of leaks, attacks and counter-attacks raised important implications for information security.

Prof Udo Helmbrecht, executive director of Enisa, called for global co-operation to tackle internet security threats such as the leakage of sensitive documents and DOS attacks.

The freedom the internet allows in moving between jurisdictions and technologies makes cyber security an asymmetric challenge. But our economy and our governments are heavily reliant on functioning and resilient systems. Therefore it is a challenge which must be met through global co-operation to strengthen all aspects of cyber security.

Anonymous, a loose association of anti-censorship campaigners and teenage hackers, brought down the Swedish prosecutors website for several hours on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, after its appeal against Julian Assanges bail blocked the WikiLeaks founders release from jail.

Mr Assange is accused of committing sexual offences against two Swedish women in Stockholm, allegations Mr Assange denies.

Just two hours after being granted bail by a London magistrate, the WikiLeaks founder was again remanded in custody after the Swedish prosecution service launched an appeal. He will appear in court again on Thursday when the Swedish authorities make their case, which is likely to centre on his perceived flight risk.

Soon after the courts ruling on Tuesday, Anonymous launched a DOS attack against klagarmyndigheten - www.aklagare.se, the website for the office of the Swedish prosecutor.

The barrage rendered the site inaccessible for almost 11 hours on Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning, according to Netcraft, which monitors websites availability.

The same group attacked the Swedish site last week after Mr Assanges arrest in London.

Although it is not directly affiliated with WikiLeaks, Anonymous backs the whistleblowing websites campaign for freedom of information.

The hactivists have given several WikiLeaks opponents what they called a digital black eye during the past week, perhaps encouraged by a statement by Mr Assange that his supporters should protect my work. Anonymous took credit for disrupting services on Amazons European websites over the weekend, although Amazon blamed a technical error.

Only two arrests have been made so far in relation to the DOS attacks. Two teenagers were arrested in the Netherlands last week, one of whom has already been released. The other, a 16-year-old described by other Anonymous operatives as a leading activist and co-ordinator, has confessed to the crimes, Dutch police said.

One Anonymous operative told the FT that the group has become nervous after rumours of a large, international swoop by the authorities.

The activist said that that a sympathiser within one of the payment companies that Anonymous has targeted had tipped off one of its members that he had been identified, who was now on the run.

Two other senior Anonymous operatives have resigned fearing a clampdown by the authorities, the person said, as rumours swirl on its chatrooms of co-ordinated, simultaneous arrests in several countries.

Meanwhile, Mr Assanges UK attorney Mark Stephens said at the weekend that the Swedes had informed his team that the US investigation of WikiLeaks for espionage or other wrongdoing had accelerated. We have heard from the Swedish authorities that there has been a secretly empanelled grand jury in Alexandria, he told Al Jazeera interviewer David Frost.

Because Sweden has indicated it would be likely to defer to the US if an indictment was forthcoming and try to extradite him to America, the sex allegations are nothing more than a holding charge, Mr Stephens said.

A legal case in the US would nonetheless be difficult to prosecute. Some members of Congress have acknowledged as much in proposing new laws that would make publishing classified US documents an offence. At present, an Espionage Act case would conflict with First Amendment free-speech protection, said Kevin Bankston, an attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

I know the laws in the nordics in general are very different to here but that is extremely vague isn't it.

You can't even treat a girl to a surprise porky twanger without getting on a register. What's the world coming to.

Would that by definition be the same as what I would call a "cock-lash"? When you whip an unsuspecting victim with your dick?

the definition of rape is broader in Sweden, so if you do something during sex that a girl doesn't like even if she did consent to sex it still constitutes as rape. That's basically it.

Surely that makes us all serial rapists?

Not there! THERE! No you idiot, up a bit. Slower. Get it right you rapist!

• 3 weeks later...