aberdeen-music

Albums for 2011

Sam 45

Album i'm listening to at the moment is something i would thought i would never listen to - 40 minutes of a a bass saxophone player.

Colin Stetson album New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges might be in a few top 10's this year. He has Laurie Anderson talking in his album too and he has toured with Arcade Fire and also GY!BE. There will be a lot of people that will not like this though but i do - wonder how he can play live for so long :O

and also

A quarter of the year done. What are everyone's top albums of the year so far?

My top 10

1. Radiohead - The King of Limbs

2. Oh Land - Oh Land LP

3. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

4. Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes

5. Big K.R.I.T - Return of 4 Eva (hard to place this as it's based on very few listens but first impressions are great)

6. Sic Alps - Napa Asylum

7. Deerhoof - Deerhoof vs Evil

8. The Go! Team - Rolling Blackouts

9. Jessica Lee Mayfield

10. The Dodos - No Color

So far I've enjoyed:

The Decemberists-The King is Dead

The Joy Formidable-The Big Roar

PJ Harvey-Let England Shake

Cave Singers-No Witch

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart-Belong

Kurt Vile-Smoke Ring For My Halo

Rival Schools-Pedals

Wye Oak-Civilian

I also finally picked up the Lykke Li album, after being excited about it for what seems forever, but really can't get into it, same with the new Iron and Wine. :( Maybe they''ll grow.

Looking forward to the new Low and Sarabeth Tucek albums next month. Yet to check out Oh Land too.

Guest idol_wild

For years I figured that I'd eventually tire of Explosions in the Sky, but fucking hell, their new album is fucking serene.

Best post-rock band that ever did play music.

Guest idol_wild
Is it out?

Didn't like the taster track much, hopefully the rest of the album is an improvement. Maybe it's a grower.

Nope. However, some press agents out there send me things due to my association with a booking agency and some of the shoddy music writing I have done in the past. So I get sent promos still. I daren't tell them.

The taster track is not idiosyncratic of the overall album at all. The other five songs are more about space and arrangements and about textural development. Nothing dissimilar to what they have previously written and released, but they just do it so fucking well. They are masters of their craft. There's a moment of brilliance in every song.

Guest idol_wild

Finally got round to buying The Pains of Being Pure at Heart's latest offering. Whilst being utterly unoriginal (they rip off The Cure a lot, but hey, good band to rip off), the tunes are fucking stoating! I'm a sucker for a good pop album, and this hits the spot.

so far my top 10.

1. The Phoenix Foundation - Buffalo

2. Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

3. Colin Stetson - New History Warfare. Vol 2 Red Judges

4. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

5. Conquering Animal Sound - Kammerspiel

6. Deefhoof - Deefhoof vs Evil

7. Wye Oak - Civilian

8. Gruff Rhys - Hotel Shampoo

9. Ducktails - Ducktails III: Arcade Dynamics

10. Papercuts - Fading Parade

This month ive bought Amanada Applewood, Banjo or freakout, Julianna Barwick, Nicolas Jaar and the Pain of being pure at heart but still a bit early to judge. Can't wait for the new low album and i've still to get Radioheads album.

Best Song i've heard:

Finally got round to buying The Pains of Being Pure at Heart's latest offering. Whilst being utterly unoriginal (they rip off The Cure a lot, but hey, good band to rip off), the tunes are fucking stoating! I'm a sucker for a good pop album, and this hits the spot.

I loved their debut and didn't rush out to get the new one, but I've no idea why. I ended up getting it and well uh, yeah. Really great.