aberdeen-music

Albums for 2011

Sam 45

The new album by The Joy Formidable came out today, I wanted to hold off listening until I could pick up the record tomorrow, but couldn't resist a listen on Spotify:

The Big Roar - The Joy Formidable - Spotify

I'm about halfway through first listen, I really, really like this band live and was initially a little disappointed that there were only four songs I didn't already own on the record, but the new versions of the songs are decent, and it certainly is brightening up my Monday. Whirring remains one of the best songs I've heard in recent years. Looking forward to seeing the new tracks in all their glory with their live energy behind them.

The new album by The Joy Formidable came out today, I wanted to hold off listening until I could pick up the record tomorrow, but couldn't resist a listen on Spotify:

The Big Roar - The Joy Formidable - Spotify

I'm about halfway through first listen, I really, really like this band live and was initially a little disappointed that there were only four songs I didn't already own on the record, but the new versions of the songs are decent, and it certainly is brightening up my Monday. Whirring remains one of the best songs I've heard in recent years. Looking forward to seeing the new tracks in all their glory with their live energy behind them.

They're an absolutely cracking live band. I'm enjoying the album, but I think the sequencing's all over the shop; doesn't flow as well as a Balloon Called Moaning. Bad choice of song for the closer as well I feel. I think most of the re-recordings are entirely unnecessary, but they certainly don't sound bad.

I was initially bamboozled when they announced that their 'debut album' was coming out; I was wondering what the hell the last release was?! Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing another 4 new tunes on the next album!

I've just got into Bill Callahan's album "Sometimes I wish I was an Eagle" and in some nice timing he's just announced a new album to come out in March. I'm looking forward to exploring his back catalogue too.

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart are about to release their second album. I enjoyed the debut and judging on the song you can hear on the link below, the follow up could be a step up.

Pitchfork: The Pains of Being Pure at Heart Talk New LP

Haha, that album was properly, properly amazing. :love:

I really want to like the new Bright Eyes album but am struggling to get into it. Triple Spiral and Ladder Song are standing out though.

Edit: It's one of those albums that just sounds so new, even though I've listened to it a countless number of times. I remember going out to buy it when it came out when I was still at school though, and that makes me feel really quite old.

Best thing about the Deseperacidos album is that you don't have to skip past the first 90 seconds to avoid hearing something awful, like with pretty much every Bright Eyes album.

I think the new one is pretty mediocre, which does make it better than Cassadega but now where near "I'm wide awake" good.

I've only just discovered this thread, so apologies for being late to the party...

Panda Bear has announced that his follow up to Person Pitch, Tomboy will be released on the 19th April.

Yaaaas! Person Pitch is incredible.

I'm looking forward to Beastie Boys - The Hot Sauce Committee pt. 2.

Also, I'm sure I heard there'd be a new Sebastien Tellier album out this year but now can't find any information about it at all. Down with this sort of thing.

Guest idol_wild
Best thing about the Deseperacidos album is that you don't have to skip past the first 90 seconds to avoid hearing something awful, like with pretty much every Bright Eyes album.

Every second of every Bright Eyes song merits being skipped. Really really horrible, nasal, rubbish music.

One of my minor pet hates is actually being told that "you should totally like Bright Eyes with your taste in music."

Incorrect. I like good music. Not horrendously shit music.

Rant over. Bye.

Surprisingly the new The Go! Team album is very good and is probably their best one.

The debut is a very record but I always expected them to be a bit of a one album wonder and after their second album was mostly just a poorer version I was sure of it. I thought it would be a case of diminishing returns with every album. Somehow without changing much they've managed to make the new album sound fresh and be more consistent than either of the first two.

Cloud Nothings

Catwalk YouTube - Catwalk - (Please) Don't Break Me

Spectrals YouTube - Spectrals - Chip a Tooth (Spoil a Smile)

Radiohead - Well, you know them.

So Cloud Nothings turned out to be really good. Completely different from everything he'd done beforehand, but really good.

Cloud Nothings Review

I would also like to add Shimmering Stars and Dead Gaze to my original list, dunno why I didn't have them before...

Shimmering Stars - I'm Gonna Try

Dunno how Dead Gaze's style is going to pan out over a whole album, might be a bit much.

Has anyone listened to any of the above links or am I just completely wasting my time?