aberdeen-music

What's your recording setup and method?

Chris

Snap! I've finally stumped up the cash for a MacBook Pro (and a Focusrite interface). Getting use out of all my old recording gear again is great. I'm still using Garageband as the recording programme though. Seems to do everything I'm looking for, and even the onboard drum programme is pretty decent. That said, most of my recording is Paper Rifles stuff and so largely acoustic.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Hakuba Mountain Wizards said:

I get the impression that the key to getting the most out of any of these sounds is the compression and reverb. Practice makes perfect and all that. I've already demoed one song and with basically no mixing it already sounds better than my old Tascam 8 track, hooray!

Most sampled drums are compressed already so be careful with that process. 

3 hours ago, Hakuba Mountain Wizards said:

Okay, so here is my first attempt with the new setup:

What do you guys think?

Things I usually do when I'm mixing stuff:

compressor/limiter and a stereo spreader on the master track.

de-esser on vocals

Tiny bit of reverb/delay on drums

I like doubling backing vocals and biddlyboos then panning them hard left and right - and sometimes sit a third track right in the middle. It's overkill if you do it all the time but sometimes a bit of budget Queen is mint. 

You probably did some or all of this already mind you, the track sounds decent. 

Liked the song, reminded me of Tallulah Gosh.

Edited by colb

No grid on the version I have. It's actually pretty intuitive, once you get your head around how the different expressions, fills etc sit (and get on top of the general controls - I've been a PC man for years and years).

EDIT - Oh wait, do you mean the "loud/simple" thing? In that case, yes!

Edited by jon

I am definitely several years/decades late to the party, but I've only just discovered the fun of Audacity converting raw data files into audio. I've never really spent a great deal of time with Audacity anyway, but it's great for making glitchy noise. DLL and EXE files in particular can sound incredibly musical, like malfunctioning synths. Large CSV spreadsheets create neat staccato static. Pretty awesome.

On 11 September 2016 at 3:02 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

I am definitely several years/decades late to the party, but I've only just discovered the fun of Audacity converting raw data files into audio. I've never really spent a great deal of time with Audacity anyway, but it's great for making glitchy noise. DLL and EXE files in particular can sound incredibly musical, like malfunctioning synths. Large CSV spreadsheets create neat staccato static. Pretty awesome.

Lots of great tools too. Used it for background noise reduction recently. Almost completely got rid of the fan noise from an interview, still had to do some EQing but was great for a one click starting point. 

On 9/14/2016 at 8:58 AM, jon said:

What sort of settings do people apply to their master track? I'm adding compression and a limiter just now, but leaving a flat EQ. Any tips?

J

I think it really depends. All I put on the master is a time-graph of the peak volume. Then that gets taken off when I export the tracks for mastering. So, while mixing, nothing at all. Mastering I tend to apply a compressor and limiter. 

I've recently learned the wonderful art of de-essing. multiband compressor, hit the eq button, set it at about 5KHz, and it should only come one when the harsh ssss and ttttttt noises happen. So handy. The things you can learn on youtube eh.

I find that a de-esser can sometimes be guilty of giving the vocals a lisp, so I'm pretty careful about my pop shield etc when I record. That way I can usually avoid using the de-esser for the most part. On Faith Healer (my first laptop recording effort mentioned previously), I just ran a compressor, a limiter and and exciter on the master. I've no idea what an exciter is, but I wanted my mix to be exciting so it was a no brainer really.

1 hour ago, jon said:

I find that a de-esser can sometimes be guilty of giving the vocals a lisp, so I'm pretty careful about my pop shield etc when I record. That way I can usually avoid using the de-esser for the most part. On Faith Healer (my first laptop recording effort mentioned previously), I just ran a compressor, a limiter and and exciter on the master. I've no idea what an exciter is, but I wanted my mix to be exciting so it was a no brainer really.

Yeah I see what you're getting at. But it's just about making tiny tweaks and finding what's right really aint it? And if it's making the vocals worse, then don't do it. Got to have the compressor turning on just when the ess sound is super harsh, without compressing it so much it becomes a sh or th.

Sounds exciting.

1 hour ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

What routes would you go first? 

Recording it properly in the first place ;)

Seriously though, if you're listening back to a vocal take and it's heavy on the sibilants I'd make sure you're micing the vocalist correctly and with a pop shield and maybe a reflection set-up as well. Changing Mic types as well can make a massive difference as some channel sound completely differently and can amplify negative elements of vocals.

3 hours ago, Alkaline said:

Recording it properly in the first place ;)

Seriously though, if you're listening back to a vocal take and it's heavy on the sibilants I'd make sure you're micing the vocalist correctly and with a pop shield and maybe a reflection set-up as well. Changing Mic types as well can make a massive difference as some channel sound completely differently and can amplify negative elements of vocals.

Cheers. Looks like I was at last-resort. No way to really do all this stuff. The tracks are home-recorded by the artist and he's too far away for me to go and double check all these variables.