aberdeen-music

What's your recording setup and method?

Chris

really? the compaq was 2 years old when i bought it 4 years ago, this one was bought new last year
They don't make em like they used to. It does sound like a gash onboard soundcard though. I've got an old Compaq desktop with a Soundblaster somethingorother card it in if you want it. Was fine for recording the last time I used it.

In terms of the latency isue, check your I/O buffer size. Should be in the 'audio' preferences menu or maybe the 'general'. For recording you want to use a low latency setting (ie 256 samples, depends on what your computer can handle) and for mixing you select a higher setting (1026 or something).

I have a question...

Ok, I love OTT production with a a million layers... big epic sounds... like this...

I'm wanting sothing fairly simple to use for recording.

Firstly I would like this for some string stuff...

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : HOME | HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FOR MUSICIANS, PRODUCERS, DJS, GUITAR AND BASS PLAYERS

Although..em..I don't know how to use it. Can it be played by connecting my midi keyboard to the below thingy..

Digidesign MBOX2 with Pro Tools LE Software | Andertons

It uses Protools LE. How easy/difficult is that to use?

Sorry all the questions...:up:

I have a question...

Ok, I love OTT production with a a million layers... big epic sounds... like this...

I'm wanting sothing fairly simple to use for recording.

Firstly I would like this for some string stuff...

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : HOME | HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FOR MUSICIANS, PRODUCERS, DJS, GUITAR AND BASS PLAYERS

Although..em..I don't know how to use it. Can it be played by connecting my midi keyboard to the below thingy..

Digidesign MBOX2 with Pro Tools LE Software | Andertons

It uses Protools LE. How easy/difficult is that to use?

Sorry all the questions...:up:

You can draw in the midi for that. Easily programmed in. Unless you really want to play your keyboard, then yeah, you can connect via midi and do it that way, then do the extra stuff after. :)

Pro Tools 9 can be used with any interface now. Pro Tools is easy enough once you get the hang of it. Just play about, look up videos on Youtube for anything you're not sure about too. Good luck

In terms of good VSTs, I can't recommend the UAD stuff enough. Accurate emulations of sought after vintage gear that if, like me, you've been using stuff like Waves etc is like night and day.

The initial outlay for the card and constant GAS for plug-ins burns a hole in your wallet, but it's worth it. I literally use the UAD stuff all the time, like the Pultec EQ, Fairchild, 1176, EMT plate reverb and they've just brought out a Studer emulation that looks amazing.

If you're mixing in the box, it's a no-brainer. Dae yersel' a favour.

Have you tried the CLA plug ins Toiletbag? They're rather tasty.

I'm gonna be getting myself an 1176 in the new year. And by getting, I mean building. Awaiting the arrival of the boards.

I've not man, but I'd be interested to try them. My experience of the Waves stuff is limited to the Diamond bundle, some of which is really useful. So the fact that they've started doing their own signature emulations is interesting.

Good luck with the 1176! You should stick up some photos when you get it underway! Incidentally, what model are you basing it on? The Urei?

They're really good. Chris Lorg Alge had them emulate some of his 1176's, LA-2A's and LA-3A's. They are all different so he uses certain ones for certain sounds. They have a load of his presets which are a good starting ground, but I always end up tweaking the hell out of them. It's good to see what some of your favourite mixers are doing.

I'm building a Rev J, it's based on the Revision F but with some mods. There's more info about it here Building The DIY Gyraf 1176 Clone

If it turns out well, and I've got a couple of good mates who can make sure everything is right, then I'll definitely post some pictures up. I'm super excited about it.

After that, I need some good preamps!

They're really good. Chris Lorg Alge had them emulate some of his 1176's, LA-2A's and LA-3A's. They are all different so he uses certain ones for certain sounds. They have a load of his presets which are a good starting ground, but I always end up tweaking the hell out of them. It's good to see what some of your favourite mixers are doing.

I'm building a Rev J, it's based on the Revision F but with some mods. There's more info about it here Building The DIY Gyraf 1176 Clone

If it turns out well, and I've got a couple of good mates who can make sure everything is right, then I'll definitely post some pictures up. I'm super excited about it.

After that, I need some good preamps!

Sounds wicked man, all the best with it!

I'm in need of some 'character' pres; I've been putting money away for a lunchbox with 2 API 512c's and a Great River mp-500nv.

If you like a project, check out the Classic API stuff (Classic Audio Product Illinois) or the Seventh Circle Audio stuff. A bit cheaper than the API's for sure.

I'm after a Golden Age Pre-73 and an FMR Really Nice Preamp

Yeah, they are cheaper for sure! There's a lot of 500 series stuff that's reputably excellent for. I'm gonna fill up the remaining slots with some cheaper modules like the Fivefish stuff.

I looked into the pre-73, for the money it sounds too good to be true. It'd be cool to do the transformer mod and get some Carnhills in there for some Neve-esque goodness. Let me know your thoughts when it comes in.

The RNP is great though, seriously great value for the money. Makes the humble 57 a total joy. Pair it with the RNC and you're laughing; the RNC is AWESOME. I can't believe it doesn't retail for more than it does.