aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Stolen from aberdeen-mad, but some facts on Rangers' 'jewel in the crown', El-Hadji Diouf:

1) Community-minded Diouf

Diouf was sentenced to community service as youngster at Rennes for crashing his car and injuring a woman. His case was not helped by the fact he did not have a driving licence at the time.

2) Diouf against the machine

A four game international ban awaited Senegalese Diouf, after he unleashed a tirade of abuse against a referee at the African Nations tournament in 2004.

3) Phlegmy Diouf

Diouf's failure to keep his saliva to himself has landed him in hot water numerous times. He has been in trouble for spitting while playing for Liverpool, Bolton and Blackburn, collecting hefty fines and suspensions along the way. The most innocent recipient of Diouf's spittle was perhaps an 11 year old Middlesbrough fan in 2004. Rank.

4) Diving Diouf

Diouf's diving was brought to our attention for Bolton's winning goal against Blackburn in 2005. His own manager, Sam Allardyce was damming in his verdict, "He's been doing it all his life," he conceded.

5) Drink Driving Diouf

Having now gained his driving licence, Diouf was to lose it for a year in December, 2005, after being found guilty of drink driving.

6) Punch and Dioufy

John Terry's speciality is of course sleeping with his team-mates' wives. Diouf prefers (allegedly) punching them. In 2006, he was released without charge following allegations he had punched the ex-wife of Senegal team-mate Khalilou Fadiga whilst partying in Dakar nightclub. Surprisingly no-one cashed in with 'Team Fadiga' t-shirts though.

7) Sneaky Diouf

Diouf admitted to getting himself sent off whilst playing for Bolton in 2007. He did so knowing that a domestic suspension would mean he was available to play for Senegal.

8) Bust-up Diouf

A changing room altercation at Sunderland led to Diouf threatening Anton Ferdinand. He was sold to Blackburn three days later.

9) Smokescreen Diouf

In September 2009, Diouf was accused of calling an Everton ball boy 'White Boy'. He said he was reacting to having banana's thrown at him, although nobody else could see any bananas...

10) Diouf and tumble

Diouf was sent off for a two footed lunge in January 2010, assisting Blackburn's FA Cup demise in the FA Cup at Villa Park. The victim of the tackle was international team mate, and so called 'friend' Habib Beye. With friends like Diouf...

March 2003:

While at Liverpool, Diouf was fined two weeks wages by the club, 5,000 by the Glasgow Sheriff Court and handed a two-match ban after spitting at Celtic supporters during a Uefa Cup tie at Celtic Park.

Feb 2004:

A verbal tirade at referee Ali Bujsaim while on international duty for Senegal, against Tunisia at the African Cup of Nations, resulted in a four-match international ban.

Nov 2004:

Double spitting disgrace. He is fined 500 for spitting at an 11-year-old Middlesbrough supporter and then, later that same month, Bolton fine him a fortnight's wages and ban him for three games after he spat at Portsmouth captain Arjan de Zeeuw. Diouf admits he showed a "lack of moral responsibility".

Despicable human being.

Deadline day completely passed me by as I was busy. Woke up on Tuesday morning to find out Andy Carroll is now one of the most expensive players in world football. More than David Villa. Obviously age plays a big part, but I'd still take Villa any day. I'd probably even take Darren Bent over Carroll.

Liverpool are well gay, but despite the ridiculous fee for Carroll, they've done good. I've been saying for ages they should sell Torres for mad dollar and buy 2 strikers. If they knew what value for money was, then they could have even brought in 2 strikers and a Gerrard replacement, like Hamsik or Pastore. Torres' motivation has looked dead for the best part of 2 seasons now, ever since they fell short of winning the league, so shifting him on is good business. He'll relish the new challenge at Chelsea, and a front two of Drogba and Torres is a massive shit in the pants of everyone who doesn't support Chelsea. It'll be interesting to see if they can operate with 2 or more up front though, or if it will actually be the end of Drogba. Then again, Torres can barely stay fit for a whole 90 minutes, let alone 2 games in a week, so Liverpool will probably be laughing.

Still think United and Arsenal will finish above Chelsea. In that order.

Have to say I am loving Liverpool fans reactions to the Torres move. So reasonable, every article that is written about it is just filled with rage.

4. At 01:02am on 02 Feb 2011, LFCinCA wrote:

As an LFC fan, and normally a level headed one at that- I will find it hard to continue to support Torres as a player. I'm not upset that he's left the club, I'm not upset with the lack of effort he's shown this year, I'm not even that bothered by the way in which he went about conducting his move (end of the window and all); but I'm furious with the comments he's made today and the lack of respect he's showing the LFC fans.

I don't want to hear any BS from the other team supporters out there- LFC fans ARE some of the best if not THE best in the world. We showed Torres nothing but love and cheered him all the way to legendary status.

Does he make any concessions today about how wonderful the fans are and how he'll miss them and the club? Does he mention that without Liverpool he'd still be "the child" from Atletico that fans of Spain (the national team) didn't take seriously?

No, he says that there's no higher level than Chelsea (please, spare me), that they are a team with an incredible legacy, and that he looks forward to scoring goals against the reds next weekend. I understand PR moves, but this is disrespectful and spiteful on his part.

Add all that to the general feeling that most Liverpool fans now have- that he was a liar about his love of the city and the club's history- and it's really hard to find anything good to remember him by. A relationship built on lies is no relationship at all.

On a side note- when exactly did he expect the new owners to invest before now? I mean, everyone keeps saying that Liverpool didn't fulfill their promise to invest, but this is the first transfer market since his decision to stay and the new owners coming in! It strikes me that the only reason he stayed was because his injury prevented him from fetching a decent price and he knew the club wouldn't let him go at a reduced price. It was also suggested that his form only improved in January because he was the puppy in the window; meaning that he's been sluggish for us the whole time because he just didn't care. That's speculative, but it certainly doesn't seem out of reason given the "true" character that he's recently shown. Good bye and good riddance.

That was very level headed. And reasonable.

Torres and Liverpool both did the right thing. Who cares what a former player says. At least he waited until he was gone to air his grief, instead of doing it whilst still at the club, a la Roy Keane, calling United fans who don't go to away games the Prawn Sarnie Brigade, and lambasting Darren Fletcher and John O'Shea as the two worst footballers he'd ever seen, publically. Then again, I'd have preferred Torres to slag off Lucas and Pulsen whilst he was still a Liverpool player, for the MegaLolerpoolz.

It's a long overdue retirement. He has provided nothing in recent years. If you think of Giggs and Scholes, they still have that touch of class, even if they don't play every game. Neville had just become a liability at right back.

Excellent when playing alongside Beckham with the overlapping but ever since Beckham left, I think a part of Gary Neville left with him. Awwwwww. He missed his fwwiend.

He's a very dislikable man, but his passion can't be questioned, and it was admirable. I always thought he came across very genuine in interviews, but he was a vicious little prick on the pitch. He also fucking despised Liverpool, and who can't behind that? He'll go down in history for spearheading Liverpool hatred single handed. Bless his soul.

I thought he did alright at RB after the Beckham years. It wasn't until he was out for ages with his injuries that he came back a shadow of his former self. Lost heaps of pace, and seemed to want to blame everyone around him but himself for mistakes, which got a bit tiresome. Still a fantastic crosser of the ball though to this day. One of the best of his era and one of the best right backs that national team has seen in ages. They've never quite pinned down a replacement, since Micah Richards and Glen Johnson both turned out to be wingers in denial.

GNev will be missed.

Micah gets stretchered off with oxygen, de jong just nips off, sticks polyfilla in his lugs to stem the blood flow.and gets back to work.

Was reading a lolpool forum earlier. One guy going on about how his son has ripped down the torres poster on his wall. Man city fan chirps in, 'tore down my wall the other day, my de jong poster is still standing'