aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Didn't see that much of the European action this week. Second half of Valencia - Utd yesterday, which I didn't think was that bad, good goal. Just watched the second half of Man City - Juve, IT was alright. Adebayor was pretty shite. Would have liked one of Del Piero's free kicks to have gone in. He will always be awesome in my eyes.

It's just fucking wrong. The fact they can operate on such a ridiculous loss, yet my shitey club are on the brink of even existing as a football club because of 20million debts and an unpaid tax bill of less than 1million. A drop in the ocean to those madcap arabs and their fucking ludicrous, inexplicable, stupidstupidstupid wage structure, and Redknapp-like transfer negotiation procedure

Cook: Will you play for Manchester City?

Yaya Toure: Will I fuck, mate

Cook: We'll pay you a quarter of a million pounds a week

Yaya Youre: Aye, go on then.

Fuck them.

Guest idol_wild
Whilst most of us were watching Champions League, this was happening:

BBC Sport - Football - See Preston battle from 4-1 down to win 6-4 at Leeds

Possibly the most ridiculous game of football of the season so far. Preston 4-1 down to Leeds, came back to win 4-6. Highlights above. Watch. 10 goals!

As fat a bastard as Jon Parkin is, he can really play football at that level. He's got quite the beer gut, but his touch, distribution, composure, and decision making are all near impeccable at that level. I admired his play during Preston's recent 4-3 defeat to Burnley; I thought Parkin really stood out that game. The way he kicks a ball, whether passing or shooting is just fucking neat. I doubt anyone else really analyses the way players actually kick a ball, but I find it curious that some top level footballers have idiosyncratic kicking techniques; some players just look wrong when they kick a football (Kevin McNaughton, anyone?), but they are still excellent footballers. Yet you get others (like John Parkin), who just don't look like footballers, but their technique is just text-book and near perfect, yet they fail to be very top level footballers.

It's mainly something I notice when I play football with peers. I have some friends who are really nifty little players; pacey, skillfull, intelligent...yet they can't fucking strike the ball for toffee, but you get others who don't have much skill or any sort of footballing brain as such, but they know how to kick a ball and strike it well, and at the level I used to play, that always stood out more than anything, and if someone could merely kick a ball well, you'd hear lines like "Keep an eye on him, min; he's a player". And it's funny how that extends to the professional game too.

Cool fucking story, bro.

I doubt anyone else really analyses the way players actually kick a ball, but I find it curious that some top level footballers have idiosyncratic kicking techniques; some players just look wrong when they kick a football (Kevin McNaughton, anyone?), but they are still excellent footballers. Yet you get others (like John Parkin), who just don't look like footballers, but their technique is just text-book and near perfect, yet they fail to be very top level footballers.

Robert. Alexander. Mann.

Guest idol_wild
I know exactly what you mean about McNaughton! He looks so awkward, and hunched over, and uncomfortable kicking a football!

Good player, though. I always rated him. Aside from a shocker at Parkhead many moons ago, where he was culpable for about four Celtic goals in a 6-0 defeat, he was so reliable for The Dons and always seems to impress for Cardiff. He's keeping young Adam Matthews out of the team, and this guy is tipped to be incredible.

A group of friends and I met Kevin McNaughton in Drummonds one Wednesday night. He just came and sat at our table, clocked us all, realised he knew none of us, and conceded he got the wrong table. He then had a quick squint for his mates, realised they weren't there yet, came back to the table and asked to sit with us. He then bought all six of us double spirits of our choice, gave us his number, told one of us to text him because he was having a party that Sunday night and we should lob him a text and he'll text back with his address; he invited us to his fucking party after five minutes. He then got a call from an unnamed teammate, said his farewells and told us to text him.

Two days later, my pal Muzz sent him a text, but he replied saying the party was cancelled because the gaffer found out about it. LOL.

What a fucking hero, though. And no way did the gaffer find out about that party. Bitch.

Good player, though. I always rated him. Aside from a shocker at Parkhead many moons ago, where he was culpable for about four Celtic goals in a 6-0 defeat, he was so reliable for The Dons and always seems to impress for Cardiff. He's keeping young Adam Matthews out of the team, and this guy is tipped to be incredible.

A group of friends and I met Kevin McNaughton in Drummonds one Wednesday night. He just came and sat at our table, clocked us all, realised he knew none of us, and conceded he got the wrong table. He then had a quick squint for his mates, realised they weren't there yet, came back to the table and asked to sit with us. He then bought all six of us double spirits of our choice, gave us his number, told one of us to text him because he was having a party that Sunday night and we should lob him a text and he'll text back with his address; he invited us to his fucking party after five minutes. He then got a call from an unnamed teammate, said his farewells and told us to text him.

Two days later, my pal Muzz sent him a text, but he replied saying the party was cancelled because the gaffer found out about it. LOL.

What a fucking hero, though. And no way did the gaffer find out about that party. Bitch.

Aye, he'd be in my best Aberdeen lineup of the last decade. Solid, loyal player. And I wish I could find the footage of him making a fool of about 3 rangers players with his mad skillz.

Want to see my fav abdn team of the noughties?

GK - Kjaer

RB - Hart

CB - Anderson©

CB - Diamond

LB - McNaughton

DM - Heikkenen

RM - Nicholson LM - Clark

AM - Hartley

ST - Stavrum

CF - Winters

The team and the positioning may be off, I just decided this right now. Not necessarily the best but the ones I liked. Oh, and an honourable mention for Roberto Bisconti and David Preece.

I'll add more and change it totally soon I'm sure

Guest idol_wild

GK - Kjaer

RB - Hart

CB - Anderson©

CB - Diamond

LB - McNaughton

DM - Heikkenen

AM - Hartley

ST - Stavrum

CF - Winters

Good side, that. I'd perhaps be tempted to try and fit Cato Guntveit in there somewhere, ahead of Clark perhaps. I was never a big fan of Chris Clark. He rarely lifted his fucking head, just ran with the ball and chased men down. The guy could fucking run, though, I'll give him that. I always liked Cato Guntveit; sure, he wasn't especially technical or creative, but he was combative in a stealthy way, and was full of running, regardless of whether Aberdeen had possession. Despite his lack of technical prowess, he rarely seemed to give the ball away, and he could play in a number of positions.

Bisconti was fucking fearsome. He was aggressive, strong and well-versed technically, but his temperament and fitness were always questionable. If he had the latter two qualities, then he'd have played at a higher level.

Shoot me gently, but I'd also stick Mackie in ahead of Robbie Winters. When I used to go to every Dons game, I always appreciated Mackie's attitude and application, despite his evident lack of natural skill. On many occasions I've seen him be the key reason Aberdeen gained a draw or a victory, and fuck it, I'm a sentimental fuckwit. He's scored or directly contributed to some really vital goals for Aberdeen over the years.

Good side, that. I'd perhaps be tempted to try and fit Cato Guntveit in there somewhere, ahead of Clark perhaps. I was never a big fan of Chris Clark. He rarely lifted his fucking head, just ran with the ball and chased men down. The guy could fucking run, though, I'll give him that. I always liked Cato Guntveit; sure, he wasn't especially technical or creative, but he was combative in a stealthy way, and was full of running, regardless of whether Aberdeen had possession. Despite his lack of technical prowess, he rarely seemed to give the ball away, and he could play in a number of positions.

Bisconti was fucking fearsome. He was aggressive, strong and well-versed technically, but his temperament and fitness were always questionable. If he had the latter two qualities, then he'd have played at a higher level.

Shoot me gently, but I'd also stick Mackie in ahead of Robbie Winters. When I used to go to every Dons game, I always appreciated Mackie's attitude and application, despite his evident lack of natural skill. On many occasions I've seen him be the key reason Aberdeen gained a draw or a victory, and fuck it, I'm a sentimental fuckwit. He's scored or directly contributed to some really vital goals for Aberdeen over the years.

I chose Heikkenen over Bisconti, it was a toss up for the defensive midfield.

Mackie, even though I don't rate him as a player, I can get on board with him being in the side for sentimentality. Loyal, if nothing else. And scored a lot against the OF.

Cato Guntveit, he was good. He now owns a toy shop in his homeland, making most of the toys sold himself.

OH FUCK! Tell you who I'd put on the wing, ZERO! How could I forget?!

Guest idol_wild
OH FUCK! Tell you who I'd put on the wing, ZERO! How could I forget?!

Fucking hell, Batman!

How did we omit him? Aye, Mackie GTF.

Zero in. Fuck sentimentality; Zero was a fucking player (but struck the ball strangely).

Aye, he'd be in my best Aberdeen lineup of the last decade. Solid, loyal player. And I wish I could find the footage of him making a fool of about 3 rangers players with his mad skillz.

Want to see my fav abdn team of the noughties?

GK - Kjaer

RB - Hart

CB - Anderson©

CB - Diamond

LB - McNaughton

DM - Heikkenen

AM - Hartley

ST - Stavrum

CF - Winters

The team and the positioning may be off, I just decided this right now. Not necessarily the best but the ones I liked. Oh, and an honourable mention for Roberto Bisconti and David Preece.

I'll add more and change it totally soon I'm sure

You can't have Hartley in a team of the noughties.

Good side, that. I'd perhaps be tempted to try and fit Cato Guntveit

He lived next door to my folks, bloody nice chap. Thomas Solberg lived closeby as well and they were incredibly professional off the park. Took their football and careers very seriously and some of the other players could have taken a leaf out of their book. Yes Derek Whyte, I like seeing you swanning about in bars after games and making smart arsed remarks about the Dons.

Guest idol_wild
He lived next door to my folks, bloody nice chap. Thomas Solberg lived closeby as well and they were incredibly professional off the park. Took their football and careers very seriously and some of the other players could have taken a leaf out of their book. Yes Derek Whyte, I like seeing you swanning about in bars after games and making smart arsed remarks about the Dons.

Dish...

I always fucking loathed Derek Whyte. Fuel my fire further, please.

Dish...

I always fucking loathed Derek Whyte. Fuel my fire further, please.

He stole a Parker pen I got for my 10th birthday. Cunt.

And yeah, you're right Chris, sorry, my mind was in that of the last ten years, not the noughties :down:

Erm...I'll chuck Aluko and smith in there in place of Hartley and Clark. Change it to 4-3-3