aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

The first half of today was alright.

Dirty hun cunts. Absolute scumbags. McGregor's a cunt.

Also, how the hell is Langfield in ahead of Howard? I know he had a bit of a nightmare against Utd but Howard seems so much better. Langfield is the worst distributer of the ball I've ever seen, and he seems to totally lack any capacity for communication with his centre backs. Made some awful mistakes today and yesterday.

Ifil looked well out of his depth today, slow and incapable of passing 5 yards.

Langfield has cost us a goal in each game he's played now, he's a liability.

Ifil had yet another complete shocker, he should be dropped. I doubt McGhee will though, as he's on big money and one of 'his' signings.

McArdle also looked slow and was getting ripped to shreds.

The defending was horrendous overall, and why the hell we were playing 5 at the back I do not know. The second and 3rd goals in particular were horrendous.

We need proper full backs.

Game started well though, and Vernon is looking lethal.

Although Rangers had far more possesion and shots, we should never be throwing away a 2 goal lead mind you.

Disappointing.

That was a very strange looking 4-4-2 then!

And I was sober! I'm obviously going blind too it would seem. ;(

McArdle was clearly playing right back. Considine left back. Diamond, Jerry and Vukovukionoooddododviccc in the middle.

Unless one of those was meant to be playing holding midfield? In which case it was a massive fail! Although to be fair, we were sitting VERY deep.

Folly looked good though, thought he played very well.

Cracking cross from the dazzler for the second goal too.

I think second half McArdle just got caught trying to 'sit in', rather than pressing their wide midfielder. The shape was all to fuck for the first 20 mins of the second half and that ultimately cost us the game.

Agree with you're assessment on Folly, thought he was great. Also thought Vernon and Maguire look a good pairing, will be great to see the pair of them up front once Aluko and Pawlett are back. Makes me wonder why we didn't hold on to Foster (who would've made a difference to the shape of the team on Sunday)...seem to be scoring without the need for Velicka.

Guest idol_wild

It was definitely 5 at the back on Sunday. And it was horrendous.

Even when Aberdeen were 2-0 up, it was evident that Rangers were going to win; they completely and utterly dominated the game and possession. Aberdeen, for once in recent times, just so happened to be pretty ruthless infront of goal.

Rangers are considerably better as individual players and as a team unit than Aberdeen are. A defeat by just one goal is hardly worth gushing your period out for.

Yeah, it was almost a 5-2-3 we were playing.

If we can sort out the defensive fuck-ups, we've got a strong squad this year, with a genuine goal threat for the first time in ages.

As long as we keep playing Ifil though, we'll never be strong defensively. He was shite before his confidence was shot to pieces, now look at him.

Guest idol_wild
Yeah, it was almost a 5-2-3 we were playing.

If we can sort out the defensive fuck-ups, we've got a strong squad this year, with a genuine goal threat for the first time in ages.

As long as we keep playing Ifil though, we'll never be strong defensively. He was shite before his confidence was shot to pieces, now look at him.

I'd be more concerned about the fact that Derek Young started the game. I mean, I'm not a complete idiot - I know he can offer genuine workrate and a willingness to never give up on anything, and he's probably very good for team morale, but by crumbs, he's an exceptionally limited football player. I don't even think his footballing ability is of First Division standard, if I'm honest.

I'd be more concerned about the fact that Derek Young started the game. I mean, I'm not a complete idiot - I know he can offer genuine workrate and a willingness to never give up on anything, and he's probably very good for team morale, but by crumbs, he's an exceptionally limited football player. I don't even think his footballing ability is of First Division standard, if I'm honest.

Agree...but if Hartley, Aluko, Fyvie, Pawlett were fit, Young wouldn't be getting a look-in.

He should enjoy his run in the side while it lasts.

Has anyone heard anything about this story of The Daily Star printing fake stories with fake interviews from football players?

Obviously it's the Star, so not the biggest surprise but these stories do still get picked up and reported in other places.

The Star printed a story quoting Gerard Pique as saying it's embarrassing for Torres to be playing for Liverpool and he's desperate to leave. Pique denies ever speaking to anyone at the Star.

Journalists including Guillem Balague and Sid Lowe have been doing a twitter campaign to highlight the number of suspect articles printed in the paper.

Bit more on it here ontd_football: Pique sternly denies Interview and Torres quotes

Has anyone heard anything about this story of The Daily Star printing fake stories with fake interviews from football players?

Obviously it's the Star, so not the biggest surprise but these stories do still get picked up and reported in other places.

The Star printed a story quoting Gerard Pique as saying it's embarrassing for Torres to be playing for Liverpool and he's desperate to leave. Pique denies ever speaking to anyone at the Star.

Journalists including Guillem Balague and Sid Lowe have been doing a twitter campaign to highlight the number of suspect articles printed in the paper.

Bit more on it here ontd_football: Pique sternly denies Interview and Torres quotes

There doesn't seem to be any reason why Pique would speak to The Star ever. I imagine a fair proportion of back page 'scoops' are either quite twisted versions of what was originally said, or completely made up. Especially transfer gossip. It's almost as if those headlines are written like Madlibs, from such set scenarios as "[team] are set to miss out on [player] due to [circumstance]" or "[player] has issued 'come and get me' plea to [team], but [manager of team] will have to part with [fee] to bring him to [ground]"

That's actually a pretty fun game.

Last night, in the Arsenal game, is it just me, or did Chamakh dive for the penalty? From what I saw, the pundits didn't really speak of it, and the Partizan players didn't really complain, but given Chamakh's past record of lobbing himself all over the ground and being the Ronaldo of Ligue Un, and also the slow motion replay showing that delay between tackle being made and then hurling over like he'd taken a bullet in the spine, I'm leaning towards thinking he took a fall. Not that it mattered, because Arshavin's penalty was shite, and their win was well deserved anyway.

He's a smart player though, Chamakh. He's stupidly good in the air. Nearly, if not just as good as Andy Carroll.

Just watching the Barca game now. I don't know why. I hate watching Barca. I'm surprised Messi even got injured the other week. No player even keeps the ball at their feet long enough to be tackled. Just run with it, or take a long range shot so the crowd can go "weeeeeey!" when it blazes over. GIVE US SOMETHING!

Guest idol_wild

I fucking love football. Whenever I watch Manchester United, I always look at the opposing team's left-back, as United tend to concentrate the majority of their attacks down the right flank. Tonight, I saw Jeremy Mathieu line-up and thought Nani was in for a productive night. He just looks like a big, slow lump. But he totally dominated the entire night, apart from one time Nani got past him, after the ninety-minute mark. Neither Nani or Rafael could outwit his sense of positioning and general awareness, let alone his strength and ability to time a tackle. United looked so static, and, although there's a stat from last season saying United won the vast majority of games when Rooney never played, they have really missed him tonight. Rooney is incredible at making space, not just for himself, but for about two or three teammates, simply with one run; opponents tend to assign two players to nullify Rooney, so naturally there's extra space in attacking areas for colleagues to exploit. Tonight, United missed this so much. Berbatov looked relatively sharp on the ball, but made no effort to impose himself on the game off it, despite the fact he's excellent at peeling off defenders and giving options to his teammate on the ball, who is looking to play a killer pass.

I don't think I've ever seen United start a game so poorly in terms of passing, either. This underlines their lack of movement; they tried to play it around at the back, but Valencia's forwards pressed constantly, and Evans and Carrick were flapping on a regular basis,and there were so few options in midfield to distribute the ball to.

Anderson is gash. And a cheating little bumsniff.

Unsurprisingly, it was two spritely substitutes who combined to score the goal on the counter-attack. Pretty much the first time in the game that United successfully generated a counter-attack, and they were absolutely ruthless. Goes to show, even teams like Manchester United rely on smash and grabs from time to time.

Anderson looked out of match practice, which seems about right since he's been out for ages (so has Carrick, which also showed drastically), made even longer when he was in that car crash. He's strong as an ox though. When he had the ball at his feet, he rarely lost it. His shielding and ball retention is awesome. Just a shame he has zero attacking prowess most of the time. He'll be one of those wannabe attacking midfielders who get found out for being a bit goal shy, so are moved to defensive midfield and are actually good at that. He looks much more comfortable there.

Their fullback was good. Nani made daft decisions though. He went towards the byline everytime, which he predicted with ease, yet the first time he actually cut inside and made him look like a sluggish lump, Nani had the ball behind Valencia and Hernandez hit the post. He should have been doing it all game, as Mathieu looked mince at changing direction.

Valencia were good. Their crossing was outstanding, but didn't have anyone who could get onto any of them. Alot of them bounced within the penalty area and not even dealt with, so Valencia should be asking questions of Soldado and Aduriz, the latter who is an incredible header of the ball. Actually, they both are.

Great goal though.

Marcotti on ITV?!? He's far too classy for that channel. Theres nothing that man doesn't know when it comes to footie.

I agree his knowledge is second to none but he sure does have a face that punching so should be in that other thread. He should stick to radio!

Steve Hodge is a terrible pundit even by ITV standards and thats flipping saying something!

Enjoyed the Spurs highlights, some dodgy penalty decisions mind!

Steve kind of hodge as kind of a pundit is kind of a joke kind of.

He says 'kind of' a lot, in case u missed my point.

Man utd match is the first game of football I've not enjoyed on any level for a while. Players were just nullifying other players in every area of the pitch. Both teams played it so safe it wasn't even that great from a tactical perspective.

You sure want to punch a lot of people, Del.

Oh I know! That punching thread brought out the darkside in me when in actual fact I'm quite a peace loving anti violence type of chap! But there is a lot of people in the media and sports world deserving of a slap or ten!

back to the football - got that utterly depressed feeling when your team is doing shit and you're on the brink of succumbing to agree with the ever growing calls to fire the manager and get some other numpty in who couldn't run a bath.

back to the football - got that utterly depressed feeling when your team is doing shit and you're on the brink of succumbing to agree with the ever growing calls to fire the manager and get some other numpty in who couldn't run a bath.

Yeah, I'm reasonably familiar with this. Portsmouth on Saturday, if we can't beat them I'll be incredibly unhappy.