As far as I can figure the pedals are, from the left:

Hi-hat 1

Not used, there's no tension on it.

Main kick pedal

double pedal for main kick drum

second kick pedal

second hi-hat pedal

Also note the headphones.

By the way, in case anyones confused, the reason for the double kick on the main kick drum is because they will be tuned different. I'm pretty sure the fake pedal is in there to simulate a double kick for the second kick drum.

Guest stripey
Originally posted by soundian

Djembes (or whatever the meatal ones are called, I've got a wooden one and a clay one, can't remember what that's called either) are more expressive than a drum. Shove your hand up the hole (fnaar) and move it in and out. How could a rock drum kit ever give you that expression.

Djembes are the african ones, mine is a doumbek and its from turkey and is made of aluminum (kinda cheapo)

To be honest I prefer a computer for putting together beats, I'd like to see a drummer with a traditional drumkit write a convincing 180 bpm breakbeat.

Originally posted by stripey

Djembes are the african ones, mine is a doumbek and its from turkey and is made of aluminum (kinda cheapo)

To be honest I prefer a computer for putting together beats, I'd like to see a drummer with a traditional drumkit write a convincing 180 bpm breakbeat.

I agree, but I'd like to hear a computer do a convincing 80bpm song.

Horses for courses, use the best tool for the job.

Note to drummers: I did NOT just call you tools, before I get any abusive pms

Originally posted by soundian

As far as I can figure the pedals are, from the left:

Hi-hat 1

Not used, there's no tension on it.

Main kick pedal

double pedal for main kick drum

second kick pedal

second hi-hat pedal

Also note the headphones.

By the way, in case anyones confused, the reason for the double kick on the main kick drum is because they will be tuned different. I'm pretty sure the fake pedal is in there to simulate a double kick for the second kick drum.

Hmmm. I don't think there's a fake pedal there. He has two hi-hats on the left side. As far as I can tell, from left to right it's -

Left side

Hi-hat 1

Hi-hat 2

Left side of left handed twin pedal

Right side

Right side of left handed twin pedal

single kick pedal

Hi-hat 3

I think you're right about different tuning, they could even be different sizes. He has the option of playing double kick on both, or just on the left one. Quite unusual as he's probably a right-handed player. I think all the hats are remote cable types, but maybe one of the left ones is a stand, can't really tell. It's a Tama Starclassic kit, so there's a good few thousands worth there. Can't say I'd like to play it meself though. That's his 'other kit' too, I'd hate to see his main one...

Originally posted by Lester Burnham

I used to play around on some bongos... lots of fun.

My timing isn't good enough to go for le big old drum kit. But I can bongo pretty well.

BONGO BONGO!

Here's what everything actually is!

lEFT TO RIGHT

Pedal1 - Remote hats

Pedal2- Standard Hats

Pedal3 - Master for left handed setup double pedal

Pedal4- Slave for left handed double pedal

Pedal5-Standard single pedal on right bas drum

pedal6- Second remote hats on right hand side of kit!

And there you go voila!

What a strange pedal array, kinda like Dave Weckl's recent adventure!

course, you can do that easily with a bodhran (its the triples).

your metal aversion means you haven't heard drummers battering skins quickly- 180 bpm is only 3 a second- double bass kick competently thrashed can do more than 3Hz of the skins.

p.s. i'm v. fond of my djembe- will get a tabla and duggy one day. had hassle getting the duggy whoop right with the heel of my hand- you can practice on a djembe or bongoes a bit but its not quite the same. also with tablas you've got the pinging to do with your fingertips while you're whooping with the rest of your hand. which is a bitch.

what do you call those big north african drums that look like bodhrans but you don't use a stick? anyone had a go of one?

• 3 weeks later...

You obviously never heard playing for Star N Garta's Live breakbeat extraveganzas at trhe University Union (1998 I think).

Must have been at least 180 bpm easy . Nae bother X-(

Originally posted by chris the teuchter

the reason for the 2nd pedal from the left having no tension is cos it actually hits a cowbell if u take a gd look.

Nah, i think you'll find it doesn't, that's a Drum Workshop stick -hihat mount attachment. The pedal is infact as previously mentioned the pedal for a remote hi-hat -FACT

• 4 weeks later...