aberdeen-music

Animal Welfare

Surely if we were not meant to eat meat our digestive systems would not be able to do their job when we ingest meat.

Surely if we were not meant to eat meat our ancestors would not have done it, long before the concepts of vegans/vegitarians/omnivores/ethics/morals were even a consideration

Surely if we were not the only species to farm animals for food then it cannot be unnatural

Surely if we were not meant to farm animals for food our ancestors would not have done it, long before the concepts of vegans/vegitarians/omnivores/ethics/morals were even a consideration

You can say that you oppose the way the animals are slaughtered or reared but DO NOT tell me that I should. The majority of people couldn't care less where the food comes from and before you pick on this point do you think omnivorous scavengers do either? I wonder if the pigs thought 'oh my where did this human come from and how did she die' when chowing down on Arlene Fraser'

Gee whizz, if you saw a man in the street attempting to milk a cuddly dog and claiming it was fun, wouldn't you be disgusted? You immoral monster you.

What do you think dog cheese tastes like, anyway? I mean, I wouldn't go straight for dog milk. That's too hardcore... but I've yet to meet a cheese I didn't find a well met fellow!

You can say that you oppose the way the animals are slaughtered or reared but DO NOT tell me that I should. The majority of people couldn't care less where the food comes from and before you pick on this point do you think omnivorous scavengers do either? I wonder if the pigs thought 'oh my where did this human come from and how did she die' when chowing down on Arlene Fraser'

Uh uhhhhhhhhh!!!! OH NO HE DIDN'T

/elgin

Woaaah, calm down, I didn't jump down your throat. I obviously did misread your post an I am sorry. No I have never been to a slaughterhouse, but I would argue there isn't a huge difference between hiring someone to kill an animal or killing one yourself. Yes you can live on an omnivourous diet, but you don't need to kill animals, so why do it? It just seems completely illogical to me.

You seem awfully concerned about being made to feel guilty about eating animals, why is this?

Ok, it seems illogical to you but it doesn't seem illogical to me and over a billion other people.

I'm not concerned about it i just don't agree with the method of guilt trip style pushy attitudes that unfortunately a lot of vegan/vegetarian/animal rights people have (i'm not saying you're one by the way). I have the freedom to choose something that doesn't have any real detrimental effect to me or my fellow human beings, and i actually enjoy it.

So, I was following some links to find out some more about what vegans think and do and how they live.

including which parts are edible and the best ways to cook them.

and I came across this webpage on the best vegan care for cats:

Cats - Vegan Society

Now pardon me for my galloping ignorance, having already just consumed a plate of chicken this evening, but where is the morality in forcing another animal, and a carnivore at that, to consume an artificially fortified vegan diet? That's a bit fucked, isn't it? Do they get sprayed for bringing in mice?

So, I was following some links to find out some more about what vegans think and do and how they live.

Cats - Vegan Society

Now pardon me for my galloping ignorance, having already just consumed a plate of chicken this evening, but where is the morality in forcing another animal, and a carnivore at that, to consume an artificially fortified vegan diet? That's a bit fucked, isn't it? Do they get sprayed for bringing in mice?

Cat Stevens is a vegetarian.

Cats - Vegan Society

This is a bit complicated, domestic animals are only on this earth as they are now because we bred them to be here. In essence we have bred almost all survival instinct out of them and so if we let them into the wild they wouldnt last long. So they depend on us for everything, they are like children that never grow up. There is nothing natural about a domestic cat or dog. But you have a point, I'm not convinced, and a lot of other vegans aren't, that feeding a cat, especially males as they can develop urinary problems without meat, a vegan diet is a responsible thing. But saying that, if a cat can live healthily on a vegan diet and you are his or her sole provider then it's fine in my opinion. Dogs are omnivores so they can easily live healthily on a vegan diet.

This is a bit complicated, domestic animals are only on this earth as they are now because we bred them to be here. In essence we have bred almost all survival instinct out of them and so if we let them into the wild they wouldnt last long. So they depend on us for everything, they are like children that never grow up. There is nothing natural about a domestic cat or dog. But you have a point, I'm not convinced, and a lot of other vegans aren't, that feeding a cat, especially males as they can develop urinary problems without meat, a vegan diet is a responsible thing. But saying that, if a cat can live healthily on a vegan diet and you are his or her sole provider then it's fine in my opinion. Dogs are omnivores so they can easily live healthily on a vegan diet.

What about Wildcats?

Cat Stevens is a vegetarian.

I think that's fine as long as he gets enough taurine as the article says he could go blind otherwise. There are pills he can buy or he could possibly pray before consuming some halal testicles. They don't contain any taurine but it would be a good joke.

I'm pretty sure domestic cats aren't that far removed from the wild, compared to dogs especially, and they can certainly still hunt. It just seems a bit strange for a vegan keep a carnivore as a pet and force a herbivorous diet upon them. Not that I can think of many herbivores that work well as house pets. But, why bother? If someone already had a cat before turning vegan it seems like it should be acceptable to keep feeding it meat-based food for the rest of its natural life.

I'm pretty sure domestic cats aren't that far removed from the wild, compared to dogs especially, and they can certainly still hunt. It just seems a bit strange for a vegan keep a carnivore as a pet and force a herbivorous diet upon them. Not that I can think of many herbivores that work well as house pets. But, why bother? If someone already had a cat before turning vegan it seems like it should be acceptable to keep feeding it meat-based food for the rest of its natural life.

As I said I remain unconvinced as to feeding a cat a vegan diet especially in male cats, but if a cat can live on a healthy plant-based diet that you provide then why not? Of course some can still hunt, although the cat that I live with is a lazy bastard so I'd be surprised if he came home with a mouse! And vegans don't keep animals as "pets", part of veganism is an opposition to breeding animals for "pets", we are opposed to the property status of animals. But since we have bred these animals into existence it is our responsibility to look after them. I for one will definetely be rescuing as many animals as I can from a local shelter when I get my own place (I currently live with my brother and our flat is tiny).

Pets | Animal Rights: The Abolitionist Approach - here is Prof. Gary Francione discussing the issue of "pets" as seen from an abolitionist animal rights perspective.

Just because a million people think something is right doesn't make it so. Millions of people didn't see human slavery as illogical Did that make it morally defensible?

Strictly speaking slavery was logical it was just morally wrong

Its logical to import cheap labour

Don't think so. he just signed up with the username bletheringvegan now he's just posting arguments in this thread, looks like he's just here to cause trouble in my opinion.

No, I'm not. I plan to post on other forums as well, bletheringvegan is just a username I use because I rant a lot and I'm a vegan. I dislike trolls more than most people, but I do like your profile picture. Do you visit B3ta.com by any chance?