aberdeen-music

Good places for lunch..

Ghostwriter

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I was in Five it was horrid. You could draw pictures with the charcoaled onions!!

Is it 99 that's now on Back Wynd?! I've had lunch in there and it was pretty good, it's got a nice atmosphere too.

Siberia is good for a cheap, quick lunch.

Yeah 99 is a good one too.

Your right; Five used to be shit. But since Snafu took it over they have all new kitchen staff and new menu etc therefore it's a lot better now.

-

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Another vote for Carmines.

Baked tattie with chilli and cheese. Magic :)

I like the fact that you agree with me, but I'm deeply troubled that you think that Carmine has ever put baked tattie with chilli/cheese on his menu.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Last time I was in Five it was horrid. You could draw pictures with the charcoaled onions!!

Is it 99 that's now on Back Wynd?! I've had lunch in there and it was pretty good, it's got a nice atmosphere too.

Siberia is good for a cheap, quick lunch.

I was dragged there on saturday but had a lovely lunch. The menu is much more interesting than I remember from previous visits and the food was pretty special considering the price.

Henry's, next to Vue cinema. They do really good food, the ribeye steak is excellent, and the all day breakfast is easily the best in the city. Tho admittedly it's been a couple years since I was last in. My mate and I used to go for an all day breakfast every Sunday morning (to get rid of the hangover) and we tried a different place every week. Henry's was our favourite. The worst was Blackfriars, it was seriously inedible. I remember the guy coming over to takes our plates away and asking if everything was OK and telling him the toast was the only good part. The eggs were undercooked an the yolk was raw, the tomato was just mush, the sausages were raw in the middle, the bacon was burnt to a crisp and stone cold, the black pudding was like a hockey puck. They even managed to fuck up the beans. How can you fuck up beans?!?!

The worst was Blackfriars

I was reading this thread thinking - I can't believe nobody has mentioned Blackfriars yet, the food in there is magic... o_O

Last time I was in I had the fishcakes which were home made and absolutely top notch.

Would also recommend La Stella for lunch, any time they have the French Onion soup on! Its a winner.

I was reading this thread thinking - I can't believe nobody has mentioned Blackfriars yet, the food in there is magic... o_O

Last time I was in I had the fishcakes which were home made and absolutely top notch.

Would also recommend La Stella for lunch, any time they have the French Onion soup on! Its a winner.

To be fair that was like 5 years ago and it may have improved drastically since then, but that particular meal hasn't exactly inspired me to go back. It might have just been an "off day" but it goes to show you the effect having an "off day" can have, if 5 years on I still haven't been back.

If by homemade you mean they came in a food delivery from Belhaven's central kitchen then you're right.

The Belhaven pubs (Ma Camerons, Blackfriars, The Globe) are solid enough for food. Better than the foundry anyway, but it's still all the same menu pre-made and shipped to each pub for heating up.

Has anyone been to "The Square" for lunch? Any thoughts on their food and the overall dining experience?

I've been to The Square for dinner, (after hearing a few horror stories) and I was very very impressed, the food was absolutely delicious and the service literally couldn't have been better. It was quite expensive like but it was very good. According to the stories it just goes to fuck when it's busy, it just buckles and the staff can't cope.

I've been to The Square for dinner, (after hearing a few horror stories) and I was very very impressed, the food was absolutely delicious and the service literally couldn't have been better. It was quite expensive like but it was very good. According to the stories it just goes to fuck when it's busy, it just buckles and the staff can't cope.

I've been there twice (once in the square and once at HMT when they were running the restaurant there) for christmas dinner with work and it's not been great.

It's probably a different experience on a normal night.

If by homemade you mean they came in a food delivery from Belhaven's central kitchen then you're right.

The Belhaven pubs (Ma Camerons, Blackfriars, The Globe) are solid enough for food. Better than the foundry anyway, but it's still all the same menu pre-made and shipped to each pub for heating up.

Well by home-made I mean they were advertised as being home-made and certainly didnt appear to be bog standard pub grub or chip shop fishcakes - a good 2 inches thick and topped with a creamy cheese and mustard sauce.

I bow down to your superior knowledge mr opinion police.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Used to like black friars but the food went to shit...service too was a bit awful recently.

my mate and I both got bits of bone in our burgers, one of the girls we were with got a mushroom stroganoff which tasted completely rotten (had a sort of sour 'blue cheese' taste), and the waiter said "oh...sorry that didn't work out for you" when she complained...

Well by home-made I mean they were advertised as being home-made and certainly didnt appear to be bog standard pub grub or chip shop fishcakes - a good 2 inches thick and topped with a creamy cheese and mustard sauce.

I bow down to your superior knowledge mr opinion police.

I'm not challenging (or policing) your opinion! If you liked them then that's fine.

But it's a chain pub so they're probably the same fishcakes in Ma's, blackfriars, the globe, every other Belhaven pub in Scotland.

Guest Gladstone

Been to the Square a few times. Food's always been really nice. Service is always very slow though. Lunchtime with only us and another 2 or 3 tables (max.) occupied, and the food takes forever to arrive. Our office is on North Silver Street, and we struggle to get to the Square and back within our given hour.

Noose & Monkey does nae bad pub grub too - their baked tatties are fine.

I got vouchers for there, oriental palace and...soemwhere I can't recall and it was superb...the finest beef stew I have tasted....plate well cleaned!

Carmines is good.

But make sure to finish everything on your plate or he doesn't half give you a hard time!

It's the bees knees and great deal too!

I really like the lunch menu, the rare beef stack is very good. I did have a horrible tummy after eating a tuna steak there tho, came almost completely rare...and I thought, hmmm sushi so ate what I could and regretted the rest of the day :(