aberdeen-music

Overhyped Aberdeen bands that have amounted to nothing...

Cloud

Not since Stripey's heyday have I seen such a blatant attempt to cause a big fight.

(Cue response from Cloud "It's not, it's a serious question. Over the years we've had lots of bands who have been overhyped when they first came on the "scene" only to invariably fade into obscurity. This practice is obviously to the detriment of Aberdeen's music community as a whole, creating a "cry wolf" effect if you will. Here in Poland I can get a buff, out of work electrician to suck me off for a Euro, and he'll even swallow etc etc etc.")

• Upvote 2

Guest idol_wild

The moderators should replace the 'u' and 'd' from Cloud's username with 'w' and 'n' respectively.

Just for shits and giggles, like.

I'm just sayin'.

I think you should offer some examples first, Cloud.

Fair enough.

Liber8, Alyssa's Wish and Edgar Prais. All three dreadfully hyped up, busy gigs and plenty of talk of how they were amazing and were on the edge of being signed and dominating the world. Seemed to be the same pattern every time, people would rant and rave about them being the best thing ever to come out of Aberdeen, yada, yada, yada - and yet nothing came of it every single time. In fact, this thread was inspired by someone asking me the other day about them.

Colonopenbracket also come to mind - busy gigs, a fairly innovative genre (I remeber talking to Mart about it well before anyone had mentioned 8-bit anywhere), clearly some sort of interest, yet they completely blew it.

Amy Sawyers as well comes to mind, everyone was talking about her, whatever happened to her?

Liberwishprais were not overhyped, maybe just undermotivated to really get somewhere with it, but you couldnt question the talent or the ability to write very good songs.

I dunno, I saw all three and wasn't impressed at all - Edgar Prais bored me to tears when I them, but the atmosphere might have had something to do with it (a mostly-empty Tunnels), I suppose.

I dunno, I saw all three and wasn't impressed at all - Edgar Prais bored me to tears when I them, but the atmosphere might have had something to do with it (a mostly-empty Tunnels), I suppose.

I was never a big fan of edgar prais either, but the other 2 wrote great songs.

Amy Sawers doesn't really give a shit if she gets famous I believe. She is still pittering away, doing her thing, and doing it well.

infact i dont even think there is another ep by a local band close to being as good as that.
the we become less EP with the funky case. that was ace.

I think someone should put both that and the Liber8 EP online somewhere. Cos I would really like to hear them again.

the we become less EP with the funky case. that was ace.

I think someone should put both that and the Liber8 EP online somewhere. Cos I would really like to hear them again.

where would i do something like that? Ive got the liber8 ep if someone has the WBL, that is of course if no one from the bands mind.

where would i do something like that? Ive got the liber8 ep if someone has the WBL, that is of course if no one from the bands mind.

I've got the WBL cd on this computer somewhere, and the video they did for 124 worlds, which was a bloody ace song.

You could stick it on MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service or RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

ill do it when i get home tonight, ill put a heap of local stuff up ive got gigs on my pc of local music, sirrius eps and stuff like that im sure someone would like a listen.

If you've got any of the Purple Munkie stuff floating around, I'd love to hear it...I lost my copy of their stuff :(