aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

It was the Sheffield Derby today, which was quite badly publicised due to it being on the same weekend as the Manchester Derby, and on the same day as the heated small of areas of North London vs North West showdown between Arsenal and Wigan. Finished 1-1 anyway, so we're as good as relegated for now. Cardiff will rinse us, and the last game of the season, against Palace, the team above us by a point - Who knows... It will decide who gets relegated, depending on next weekends results.

Actually, scrap all that Championship shite. The end of the Wigan game was fucking amazing!

Celtic - God, it would have to be Mogga, wouldn't it? Deary me. Worse than Barnes/Dalglish, that's some going.

Middlesbrough - probably Southgate in the time I've been watching them. UEFA Cup final to relegation in the space of a few years suggests he's the worst of recent times.

Scotland - Berti Vogts

Just out of curiosity, who's the worst manager everyones seen at the helm of their club since they've supported their team?

I think this could have prompted a thread all of it's own! Jeez where do I start with idiots who've 'managed' my beloved Cambridge United???

well in the 80's when despite staying in the league we were actually more shite than we are now. Firstly under John Ryan who got us relegated from what is now the championship winning just 4 games (the last of which was against promotion chasing newcastle after going over 30 games with a win, it felt like winning the european cup!). When that clown left, ex chelsea boss Ken Shellito took the reigns and was another disaster, taking us to another relegation and a third from bottom finish in the fourth division. When things get tough we often cheer ourselves up by referring to the Ryan/Shellito years - the team was so woefully awful in those days we've never reached the same levels of shiteness since and that's flipping saying something.

After getting turfed out the 1992 championship play offs by Leicester, teams sussed onto John Beck's long ball tactics and he only lasted a couple of months of the 92/93 season before getting the boot with the team languishing in the bottom three. Fans choice for the job was Beck's assistant and new Scumboro boss Gary Johnson but the board in their wisdom decided to appoint Ian Atkins. To be fair it was tight at the bottom and we went into last game of the season away at west ham, knowing only a win would see us safe... we lost 2-0 and the board did a U turn by appointing Johnson the next season, who did a pretty decent job.

More recently in the mid noughties we had proof in the pudding that you should never appoint a legendary player as a boss. John Taylor, one of the finest strikers ever to grace the Abbey Stadium was a disastrous boss, getting us relegated from league one and hurtling towards the conference.

Then we decided to go for a continental manager in frenchman who spoke little English Herve Renard, clearly bemused and out his depth in the lower regions of English football his 5 months in charge was a disaster. With United at the foot of league 2 at xmas he was sent back to France and replaced with the closest thing I've ever seen in the flesh to Mike Bassett - manager.

Steve Thompson affectionately known as the 'fatman' through the consumption of way too many pies and pints came with a reputation of getting teams out the brown stuff. It took him 11 games to get a win, we finished bottom, went into admin, got relegated to the conference where we remain to this day.

Our last few managers have all been quite decent in comparison :up:!

Dundee Utd used to make my life hell as my old flatmate was a die hard Arab. This is going back some time during the Tommy McLean / Luggy era when they had players like Kjell Olofsson, Jan Telesnikov, Alex Mathie etc. Despite the Dons and Utd constantly propping up the table, DU used to routinely drub us - e.g. Aitken's last game where the score was 5-0 going on 10-0. He also once hit me with a chair when Utd lost a goal resulting in Mo flipping his lid and throwing his seat across the room.

However, we were all made to go on the annual "Dundee United Cup Trail" during the Scottish Cup and followed Utd to all the games and those trips were a great laugh. It was to the point the rest of us would want them to do well so we got a few decent road trips each season. I'll be a neutral for the Scottish Cup but will be behind them for the Euro jaunts, a trip to the league stages would be just reward for the way they played and consistency throughout this season.

BBC Sport - Football - Rangers manager Walter Smith bemoans fixture imbalance

The split in our league is just plain ridiculous in my opinion. The sooner they scrap it the better.

Incidentally, we won't be getting a 16 team league next season now that the Dons appear to be safe ;)

I think he could have made mention of Celtic a few more times, you know, just to make certain his point was made.

Guest Gladstone
I think he could have made mention of Celtic a few more times, you know, just to make certain his point was made.

He does fail to mention that on the flipside of his extra away game to Dundee Utd they've always played an equal amount of home and away games across the whole season (which I guess means they must have got more home games before the split than away games, which must be the only reason they're so far ahead, the cheating bastards).